Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another major blow for Waterford! Aer Lingus to stop flights to UK from Jan 2013!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Flybe have close reservations on BHX route from 6 Jan -mid Feb so that means two things they are dropping for a few weeks at quiet time of year or they are updating booking system to take some flights from EI regional as BHX base could operate some routes from WAT during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Flybe have close reservations on BHX route from 6 Jan -mid Feb so that means two things they are dropping for a few weeks at quiet time of year or they are updating booking system to take some flights from EI regional as BHX base could operate some routes from WAT during winter.

Let's hope this temporary or maybe they are updating yeah.

Let's hope they continue to fly because I have a feeling Waterford won't be balancing the books this year and they will be struggling unless they get new operator quick.

Also how did you find this out?

Also how did you find this out?

Website

All flights come up as full during the period which tends to mean they are changing shedules, if it was being suspened it would be blank and not say full.

We could not expect them to have a aircraft based here by 6 Jan but 17 Feb when BHX is back availabel seems possible.

Website

All flights come up as full during the period which tends to mean they are changing shedules, if it was being suspened it would be blank and not say full.

We could not expect them to have a aircraft based here by 6 Jan but 17 Feb when BHX is back availabel seems possible.

Interesting, hopefully something good will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

From what I have heard, Luton will be back with Flybe at the end of March. (strong rumour, anything can happen though..)
    Don't know about MAN.

• Advertisement

b757 wrote: »
    From what I have heard today Luton will be back with Flybe at the end of March. (strong rumour)
    Don't know about MAN.

That's excellent if true, in my opinion its a realistic route for Waterford that can be profitable because its a popular route for Waterford.

I Hope they bring back manchester aswell which is also likely and possible.

Also i think they should consider a 3rd route aswell something that is popular and according to the Poll i think Edinburgh would be a interesting route.

Unless they go with Gatwick which i dunno probably is unlikely due to strong possibility of Luton returning.

But hey lets just get the regulars back first, lets just hope for Luton and manchester first.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

From what I have heard today Luton will be back with Flybe at the end of March. (strong rumour, anything can happen though..)
    Don't know about MAN.

Don't listen to rumours, no decision has been made by Flybe.

There is another airline in the wings - if they can get themselves organised could deliver a lot more than Flybe ever would. They have a lot of issues to resolve with a short time to achieve it. Can't say who so don't ask.

air2000 wrote: »

There is another airline in the wings - if they can get themselves organised could deliver a lot more than Flybe ever would. They have a lot of issues to resolve with a short time to achieve it. Can't say who so don't ask.

Pretty please, Atleast tell me I swear I won't say a peep.!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

RobitTV wrote: »

Pretty please, Atleast tell me I swear I won't say a peep.!!! :D

Oceanic Airlines

keep it hush-hush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Unfortunately Flybe are ceasing operations out of Waterford for six weeks in January due to eleven million losses by the company overall. Wish we had the money in place for the runway extension now.

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Wish we had the money in place for the runway extension now.

Yeah this would be the perfect time to get it done if we had it..

You could give use a clue. ie- Irish, UK based carrier and aircraft type that would not be telling...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

air2000 wrote: »

well if they have to get themselves organised and have alot of issues then they will deliver sweet f.a. there is nothing secured yet. as you say dont listen to rumours so best we disregard your one aswell.

Although I'm disappointed for Flybe for their losses I hope they continue to operate at Waterford fully and expand in anyway possible.

Also this new airline? WE WANT A HINT! :D

You could give use a clue. ie- Irish, UK based carrier and aircraft type that would not be telling...

Yeah I agree, a clue would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Although I'm disappointed for Flybe for their losses I hope they continue to operate at Waterford fully and expand in anyway possible.

Also this new airline? WE WANT A HINT! :D
    Yeah I agree, a clue would be nice.

Could you give it a break for 5 mins at least?

kensutz wrote: »

Why, if someone has information they should share it! :P

kensutz wrote: »

No, somebody shared info on here which is of significance to this disscusion and we respect he can't tell us directly but a hint or a clue would be a help indeed.

We don't need "could you give it a break for 5 mins" that's not the answer nor helping in anyway possible. Thank you :)

One idea I have is that we list out UK/Ireland regional and budget airlines that would realistically fly to Waterford.

We won't get an answer the easy way sadly but I totally understand why and thanks to the guy who Atleast gave us a heads up about it.

Easyjet = Nope, if they don't fly anywhere else in the Republic they won't fly into Waterford anyway plus they don't have the correct aircraft that's needed to land at Waterford.

Ryanair = Never, wrong aircraft type plus Michael o learys hate of regional airports.

Jet 2 = not sure, realistically I just don't know it may be possible indeed but wouldn't be so sure about it.

Monarch = doubt it, they seem to be a sun and sea airline where they travel to European summer hotspots there not really regional airline plus they dont seem to have the correct type of aircraft.

Cityjet = Realistic indeed, now this airline is also a Irish airline plus the fact it also has the type of aircraft that would land at Waterford and it lands at a lot of regional smaller airports, very possible it could be this.

BA-CityFlyer = possible, it's possible aswell due to the fact they have the correct type of aircraft that could land in Waterford. But would they come here? Remains to be seen.

( that's all I could think off really, unless Flybe is doing something. Cityjet or ba CityFlyer are really overall abit realistic. )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Ryanair = Never, wrong aircraft type plus Michael o learys hate of regional airports.

Don't give up hope, Jim D'Arcy said he'd bring Ryanair back to Waterford and he's a politician so must be telling the truth. :p

• Advertisement

One idea I have is that we list out UK/Ireland regional and budget airlines that would realistically fly to Waterford.

We won't get an answer the easy way sadly but I totally understand why and thanks to the guy who Atleast gave us a heads up about it.

Easyjet
    Ryanair
    Jet 2
    Monarch

EasyJet - Nope
    Ryanair - Nope
    Jet2 - Nope
    Monarch - Nope

http://www.jethros.org.uk/fleets/fleets.htm

BA Cityflyer - Has right aircraft for route B]E170 / E190[/B
    BMI Regional - Smaller jet aircraft 35-50 seats B]ERJ135 / 145[/B
    Cityjet - Has right aircraft for route B]F50 / Avro RJ85[/B
    Eastern - Small Turboprop B]Jetstream / SAAB 2000[/B
    Flybe - Has right aircraft for route B]Dash8 / E175[/B & B]E195[/B
    Loganair - Small Turboprop B]SAAB 340 / Do328[/B
    Manx2 - Small Turboprop B]LET 410[/B -- Wouldn't fly with them if you paid me..

EasyJet - Nope
    Ryanair - Nope
    Jet2 - Nope
    Monarch - Nope

http://www.jethros.org.uk/fleets/fleets.htm

BA Cityflyer - Has right aircraft for route B]E170 / E190[/B
    BMI Regional - Smaller jet aircraft 35-50 seats B]ERJ135 / 145[/B
    Cityjet - Has right aircraft for route B]F50 / Avro RJ85[/B
    Eastern - Small Turboprop B]Jetstream / SAAB 2000[/B
    Flybe - Has right aircraft for route B]Dash8 / E175[/B & B]E195[/B
    Loganair - Small Turboprop B]SAAB 340 / Do328[/B
    Manx2 - Small Turboprop B]LET 410[/B -- Wouldn't fly with them if you paid me..

I think Cityjet and BA CItyFlyer + maybe BMI regional are realistic at the moment and Flybe which I hope will do something.

the others I'm not sure one bit tbh

old gregg wrote: »
    Don't give up hope, Jim D'Arcy said he'd bring Ryanair back to Waterford and he's a politician so must be telling the truth. :p

Lol, I suppose he's willing to put people's lives at risk then when it comes to landing and taking off. :P

Hopefully we can get some good news soon and some hints! :D

Anybody get any new news today?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Anybody get any new news today?

Yeah..just been announced..Not one but two new parallel runways are to built both long enough to accommadate the A380 with Emirates going to use Waterford as the new hub for flights between the Middle East and North America, along with flights to London Gatwick, Manchester and a new 12 time daily return service to Edinburgh" Services to begin on Jan 7th to replace Aer Arann.

Quote from Emirates CEO "We have been waiting for this oppurtunity for quite some time..obviously we couldnt go up against a mighty corporation like Aer Arann while they held the key routes. But along with their withdrawal and a poll conducted on Boards.ie Waterford City Forum, we have now committed 97 aircraft to be based at Waterford at a cost of 43 Billion camels. Which will deliver over 7 jobs to the region between now and 2055."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

^ excellent news. I look forward to having those big boys flying low over the house each day asap

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Yeah..just been announced..Not one but two new parallel runways are to built both long enough to accommadate the A380 with Emirates going to use Waterford as the new hub for flights between the Middle East and North America, along with flights to London Gatwick, Manchester and a new 12 time daily return service to Edinburgh" Services to begin on Jan 7th to replace Aer Arann.

Quote from Emirates CEO "We have been waiting for this oppurtunity for quite some time..obviously we couldnt go up against a mighty corporation like Aer Arann while they held the key routes. But along with their withdrawal and a poll conducted on Boards.ie Waterford City Forum, we have now committed 97 aircraft to be based at Waterford at a cost of 43 Billion camels. Which will deliver over 7 jobs to the region between now and 2055."

Oh how exciting indeed, I bet this multi-billion infrastructure development at the airport will almost bring national cash reserves to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

So does this mean there will be no commercial flights into or out of Waterford for the first six weeks of 2013? Will the airport be able to handle that income stream completely drying up for that period?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MrBowsmith

I have to say, it seems that I am one of the few, for whom Waterford to Southend is the ideal route, and will be sad (and inconvenienced) when discontinued.http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/frown.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

So does this mean there will be no commercial flights into or out of Waterford for the first six weeks of 2013? Will the airport be able to handle that income stream completely drying up for that period?

Going to be quiet for the first few weeks. Income will be tight with just private aircraft, pilot training and the coastguard. I assume they will cut the opening hours back 9 to 5 ish for those weeks.

Flybe have also cut flights from Edinburgh for the same period so its not just Waterford being effected.

It would be nice if airlines/routes were confirmed before 6th January so that at least the airport has something to work towards.

Advertisement