Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using 2 Telephone points

Options
  • 05-11-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I have an eircom Zxyel modem set up at home in the office at the back.
    Signal is reasonable but I'm finding it week in the living room at the front of the house.
    I want to set up another wireless access point in this room. What would be the best way of doing this.
    I have a telephone point in both rooms.
    I don't want to move the modem from the office as I have a wireless printer and I'm going to set up a NAS there as well.

Need the wireless in the living room for the laptop and TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Also by broadband speed isn't great, lucky to get over 1mb, so need a solution that hopefully won;t slow down the connection any more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

will56 wrote: »
    I have an eircom Zxyel modem set up at home in the office at the back.
    Signal is reasonable but I'm finding it week in the living room at the front of the house.
    I want to set up another wireless access point in this room. What would be the best way of doing this.
    I have a telephone point in both rooms.
    I don't want to move the modem from the office as I have a wireless printer and I'm going to set up a NAS there as well.

Need the wireless in the living room for the laptop and TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Also by broadband speed isn't great, lucky to get over 1mb, so need a solution that hopefully won;t slow down the connection any more.

Connecting another modem/AP to the second phone outlet will not work, I am afraid. Aside from provisioning issues, The two modems would interfere with each other, and so neither will work.

I am not at all familiar with the eircom modem. In principle though, you could try some of the following:

1 - run an ethernet cable from the modem to a separate point in the home, and plug in to that any time you want to use it

or

2 - Connect a decent (dual antenna, 802.11n) AP to the zyxel, turn off the Zyxel wireless

or

3 - Connect a decent (dual antenna, 802.11n) AP to the zyxel, leave the Zyxel wireless on, and just make sure your new AP has RF separation. There is a free tool called INSSIDER which is very useful for checkingthis.

Alternatively, you could use homeplugs...

-Foxt

Advertisement