Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IFA Telecom Wireless Broadband

Options
  • 05-11-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭

Im thinking of getting this because we're already on a phone package with them and was just wondering if anyone has any reviews of it? We're in Co. Clare if that makes a difference and they're offering us it for €10 a month which sounds very good but theres no info to be had anywhere about it, the website is under construction...

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I know I had that and it was excellent I must say. It was installed by AI Bridges in Ennis. I think its ripplecom though but we paid through IFA.

It was €31 a month.

How are you managing to get that for €10 a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Well I rang them there and was just coming into clarify, apparently its not wireless, its a 1mb connection that they activate on your phoneline for 10 Euro a month if you already have a phone package with them and they send you out a wireless router to plug in aswell.

But thats not right is it? How could it be broadband if its coming down the existing phoneline with no installation.

I thought you were referring to fixed wireless broadband.

What IFA are offering is DSL Broadband. Its a resell of eircoms bitstream wholesale product. Basically you are getting broadband down your landline. In this case, you can get a better deal. Vodafone can give you 24mb broadband for €31.99 including line rental. I would shop around. 1mb is painfully slow also but if you are a daily internet user and watch youtube, facebook etc 1mb is not suitable.

What they are going to do is put in a Wifi router, that's what they mean.

I thought it was wireless too but when I looked into it for them and rang IFA they told me it was over the landline.

This is just for my neighbours in the middle of nowhere, their first internet connection. Will it be useable for them do you think? Just the odd Youtube video and looking at things like newspapers and Ebay etc, definitely no Pirate Bay or gaming or anything like that, or even multiple tabs. Looking at farm machinery on Donedeal seemed to be what they were mainly interested in and they wont part with more cash.

I suppose it depends on what they are using their phone line for. If they rarely use the landline then Vodafones €31.99 a month deal is what I would recommend.

If they are getting a discount such as free line rental from IFA well then I would suggest they stay with IFA.

There are good deals out there that I haven't mentioned so they should shop around.

They would essentially be install the box themselves. If its 1mb down then they will only get .7mb especially if they are far from the exchange. I would suggest they take a 3mb deal. That way they wouldn't have a heartattack waiting for it to load.

• Advertisement

They're always on the phone ringing people, I had to put them on a €60 a month unlimited mobile and landline calls package from IFA and it slashed their bill from about €100 a month they were spending, you know the way some people are on the phone especially out in the country.

Will 3MB be possible on this line aswell in the same way? Any better package you can think of would be a huge help thanks, I had a look in the sticky but nothing seems appropriate, they need the unlimited calls and I dont think UPC or Vodafone will come out this far.

I know what your talking about ;). I knew a business who was spending €400 a month because of mobiles and the nature of the business. They were calling mobiles left, right and center.

Yes 3mb is possible on the package. Their line may not be capible of getting 3mb speeds. How far are they from the exchange? Put their landline number in the vodafone or eircom line speed test to see what they come up with.

Take a look at the eircom website, they may have a mobile and broadband deal, I see on the tv they have plans from €59.

These pricing change a lot and it takes a while to get your head around the prices.

Okay thanks for that Mr grumpy, will look into it.

Just put their number into Eircoms product page and this is the only thing they sell in that area:

http://business.eircom.net/broadband/products/bb/5/

Exact same product Im guessing but double the price, Ill see what its like anyway and maybe upgrade them to 3MB if its not fast enough, thanks.

Advertisement