Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to sweeten cider

Options
  • 05-11-2012 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

this is a follow up question from my last post about the brewmaker premium cider deluxe kit that i bought 2 weeks ago now it says ready in less than 3 weeks to drink now im just bottling and i did have a taste and man it was like anything other than cider i swear no taste of apple im wondering if anyone had this kit before and had experienced this before it got good do the carb drops help or what can i do for this to help ya know

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm not familiar with the kit or what's in it, but the cider kit I did before was pre-sweetened and didn't need any extra. I'd have thought this would be too. Making cider from juice I've used Splenda as a non-fermentable sugar for sweetening -- half as much again as priming sugar. I also wouldn't normally start drinking a cider until three months after it's made, but kits may well be different and designed to be consumed younger. Your bottom line option is to serve it with apple juice on the side, to make it as sweet and appley as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just to note, splenda is a specific brand, and is sucralose based. I much prefer sucralose as an artificial sweetener in soft drinks. Some alternative sweeteners are aspartame based, which I do not like as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

rubadub wrote: »
    Some alternative sweeteners are aspartame based, which I do not like as much.

Aspartame also breaks down in the presence of alcohol in about 2 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Xylitol,
    Taste-wise, xylitol is indistinguishable from sugar.

250g in 20 liters would fix any problems with a cider being too sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Can't remember if it was on this site that I read about Aspartame - seems to be nasty stuff indeed and a lot of people steer well clear of it just to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭chris2286

Seaneh wrote: »
    Xylitol,
    Taste-wise, xylitol is indistinguishable from sugar.

250g in 20 liters would fix any problems with a cider being too sweet.

it has no sweetness at all that the prob and ya cant taste the apple

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭chris2286

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the kit or what's in it, but the cider kit I did before was pre-sweetened and didn't need any extra. I'd have thought this would be too. Making cider from juice I've used Splenda as a non-fermentable sugar for sweetening -- half as much again as priming sugar. I also wouldn't normally start drinking a cider until three months after it's made, but kits may well be different and designed to be consumed younger. Your bottom line option is to serve it with apple juice on the side, to make it as sweet and appley as you like.

well it says drinkable before 3 weeks and i wasnt sure if the apple juice would go with it but i suppose no harm in trying cheers ill let ya know how i get on but so far this kit is not worth gettin

Advertisement