Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haloween Jam - ***NSFW***

• 05-11-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

I don't shoot video, I don't own a video camera. I decided to put together an edit of a BMX Haloween Jam here in Sydney using a borrowed D90 which has serious limitations for filming.

I've no real clue about compression and haven't really edited anything before. I'm still trying to work out how to get the best resolution from compression settings. I think the bitrate for this is far too low so its pixelated.

It was fun but very different trying to see things as a complete edit from start to finish and very different to shooting stills.

If i get more into video it might mean a jump from Nikon to Canon :eek:

It's got some nudity in at the end so NOT SAFE FOR WORK

https://vimeo.com/52834343

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i like - and the music works a treat - nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well that was a load of arse! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2012/03/12/setting-up-your-canon-5d-mkii-and-mkiii/ was a great help for me camera wise when I started seriously shooting video a while back. Not sure how well it translates to the nikon though, and I don't think it covers bitrate (worth reading through all the comments - there's loads of info in there). Great craic though, isn't it? I'm more than a bit addicted..

Hugh C is a good person to talk to about editing arcs and such. Make more! Loved that one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

QoPma.jpg

If its any good to you I use these setting on a (free) program called mpeg streamclip for encoding mp4 for Vimeo. They're usually bang on.
    Nice video by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Thanks Sinead & 11811. I worked out the encoding and compression issues. It's just a whole new field to get knowledge in and know what your doing with processing footage.

The link makes sense with getting the cleanest ISO and correct shutter speed and fps. The D90 switches to full Auto when filming and is only 720p HD I think. There is no AF during filming so you have to pre focus and stick with it so its restricting to any panning shots unless your manually focusing...and thats difficult while watching an LCD screen, moving and not having any marks on the ground for focus (hence a lot of still tripod shots).

Thanks guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Yeah, that's pretty crap. What about the higher end Nikon bodies? Seems crazy to switch systems if there's not much in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I'm still using my D3 which has no video. I think Nikon is seriously lagging behind Canon. I don't think the D4 shoots video (according to a videographer friend of mine I was chatting to in Beijing earlier in the year) and the best Nikon option is a D800. I haven't really researched it enough to know what direction to go.

Switching to Canon would be a big switch, the cost to change wouldn't be that much after selling everything and buying everything really, a few thousand maybe? I'm not a Canon/Nikon brand snob and wouldn't care what I shot with. Obviously I'm more intuitive with Nikon at this stage.

The cheaper option could be a reasonably priced HD video camera for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

definitely make more!
    it reminded me of old transworld skateboarding video tapes i used to watch.. love that kinda stuff!

Advertisement