Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jammed lock and broken key

• 05-11-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey guys

Looks like it was a rather cold night tonight, I had the misfortune of having what I believe is a somewhat frozen padlock for the chain on my bike. Not having anything to heat it with or any liquid to pour into the lock I decided to use something rather foolish: Brute force.

Can't say I was in a good mood sitting on the bus and the train to get to work after I'd broken the key inside the lock. I have a spare key thankfully, but will need to figure out a way to get the broken key out of the lock without calling a locksmith (I figure a trip to Halfords might provide me with some tool that'll help).

Not much use to this thread other than suggesting that people learn from my mistake, one I'm more than likely to repeat several times...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

__Carl wrote: »
    Hey guys

Looks like it was a rather cold night tonight, I had the misfortune of having what I believe is a somewhat frozen padlock for the chain on my bike. Not having anything to heat it with or any liquid to pour into the lock I decided to use something rather foolish: Brute force.

Can't say I was in a good mood sitting on the bus and the train to get to work after I'd broken the key inside the lock. I have a spare key thankfully, but will need to figure out a way to get the broken key out of the lock without calling a locksmith (I figure a trip to Halfords might provide me with some tool that'll help).

Not much use to this thread other than suggesting that people learn from my mistake, one I'm more than likely to repeat several times...

Sure ya could of taken a wizz on the lock :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Use a lighter to heat the key, insert, wait, twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

__Carl wrote: »
    Hey guys

A matchstick with a dab of glue on the top of it can be used to get the broken bit out of the lock.

Here's a vid for other ways of getting it out! Love the 2nd option, brute force to bang out the broken bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 __Carl

RosieJoe wrote: »
    A matchstick with a dab of glue on the top of it can be used to get the broken bit out of the lock.

Yea? I'll give it a shot, I think. Didn't really have a proper look this morning, but I know that the key basically snapped right off at the top, leaving everything in the lock. Also think I might be able to use a safety pin to "pull" or wriggle it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

be very careful with glue and the lock mechanism - if super glue, use the gel stuff, not the fluid.. it flows like heck, and will probably make your issue worse

• Advertisement

The video was awesome, have a few ideas to try now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

I'd say you where like a bull on the bus and train lol.

I'd say you where like a bull on the bus and train lol.

Remembering my hatred for crowds... Old women with radios extremely loud, girls who thinks it smells nice when they wear enough perfume to knock someone out, cramped, slow... Much nicer on the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Surprised no-one's mentioned WD40, I always give locks a squirt of it at the start of winter.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Any luck getting that key out?

• Advertisement

I ended up having to call the locksmith in the end, all my ideas failed on me. At least it looked like the locksmith struggled a bit with it as well (I saw a few of his tools bending when trying to fix it), so my pride isn't too scarred.

Advertisement