Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis Road/Caherdavin pubs

• 05-11-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I might be moving this side of the city in the new year. What if any are the pub options on that side of town?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Ardhu, Woodfield House Hotel and Greenhills Hotel. The first two would be the best for atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I'd say Ardhu would be your best bet. Greenhills is dead most of the time and the regulars don't take kindly to newcomers in the Woodfield. Insect Overlord can back me up on that one :P

Hassets is only up the road too :P Seriously though, the ardu is probably your best bet

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'd say Ardhu would be your best bet. Greenhills is dead most of the time and the regulars don't take kindly to newcomers in the Woodfield. Insect Overlord can back me up on that one :P

The Woodfield have one of the best pints of Guinness in Limerick, to be fair!
    But yeah, some of their older regulars don't take kindly to stuff that goes against their status quo. You're more likely to see the soaps on TV than a midweek soccer match.

The Ardhú next door is a decent spot for the sports. Big heated smoking area with 2 or 3 TV screens.

I'd happily drink in either.

Limerick Dude, free for one latter? :pac:

The Woodfield have one of the best pints of Guinness in Limerick, to be fair!
    But yeah, some of their older regulars don't take kindly to stuff that goes against their status quo. You're more likely to see the soaps on TV than a midweek soccer match.

The Ardhú next door is a decent spot for the sports. Big heated smoking area with 2 or 3 TV screens.

I'd happily drink in either.

Limerick Dude, free for one latter? :pac:

Hells Yeah! Give me a text later on this evening, not working tomorrow so i can have a few ;) Molly Rooms yeah? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭james.xix

Ardhu is a good pub, checked it out last night. Went to the Greenhills pub as well, atmosphere was predictable as mentioned above. They did have the match on though, I'll give them credit for that. In fairness it's what you'd expect from a hotel pub.

Myself and Insect Overlord were in there last night, you may have seen us! The Ardhu that is.

Good stuff! Does anyone know what Na Piarsaigh's clubhouse is like?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

james.xix wrote: »
    Good stuff! Does anyone know what Na Piarsaigh's clubhouse is like?

It varies from night to night. Tends to be busy enough on Monday's when the club lotto is held. Nights after club matches tend to have a decent atmosphere as well. Pints are good and reasonably priced. If you get involved with the hurling/football/camogie at all then you'll always find someone you recognise in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

Whats the story with the country club out the old cratloe road, its been years since i have been in there, is it still open, whats the crowd like in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Myself and Insect Overlord were in there last night, you may have seen us! The Ardhu that is.
    james.xix wrote: »
    Ardhu is a good pub, checked it out last night. Went to the Greenhills pub as well, atmosphere was predictable as mentioned above. They did have the match on though, I'll give them credit for that. In fairness it's what you'd expect from a hotel pub.

Was in there last night as well with herself! Mini beers sometime lads? :pac:

alan1990 wrote: »
    Was in there last night as well with herself! Mini beers sometime lads? :pac:

We had a great Beers in December last year. Definitely on for another one sometime soon!

Whats the story with the country club out the old cratloe road, its been years since i have been in there, is it still open, whats the crowd like in there.

I'd like to know as well. I've passed through there. Anyone any details on this place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Originally Posted by neverwasser View Post

TBH It's pretty dead most of the time. I used to drink there regularly but migrated to the Woodfield and Ardhu.The pint was excellent, but the same few regulars were there every night and the lounge is closed mid-week since the recession hit. Not much atmosphere there except when big soccer/rugby matches are on Sky. Cards played on Wed nights plus darts if interested. More a pub for the senior folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

tippman1 wrote: »
    TBH It's pretty dead most of the time. I used to drink there regularly but migrated to the Woodfield and Ardhu.The pint was excellent, but the same few regulars were there every night and the lounge is closed mid-week since the recession hit. Not much atmosphere there except when big soccer/rugby matches are on Sky. Cards played on Wed nights plus darts if interested. More a pub for the senior folks.

The country club is great if you get to know the regulars....it was my OHs local for years and in the beginning I used to hate going there with him but now we are living practically across the road and I love it there. There is always someone to chat to and always banter about cards/darts etc. Unfortunately I have never grasped 110 to actually play (its complete gibberish to me!) so sit back and watch and things can get heated and it can be hilarious!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

tippman1 wrote: »

I think its a shame, the Country Club is only down the road from my parents, I go in there some weekend for a pint with my dad when I am back in Limerick. It does get lively on match days in Thomond park.

Its in a great location, plenty of houses about and LIT is only up the road, they should try market themselves to them a bit more. It would probably drive out the regulars though during the week but the weekends is when most people in Meelick go there.

It wouldnt cost much to refurbish the place a little as it looks dated.

I think maybe if they marketed themselves a bit more for the students? Its very possible that they could open the lounge midweek for students and possibly do drinks specials during matches etc and that way they would still have the bar for the regulars. A lot of the regulars that I know down there love to see a crowd in. Caherdavin Celtic have had nights down there recently, fundraisers and the likes and the regulars love getting involved.

The Country Club has lots of potential if it were promoted a bit. It has a dated appearance inside - especially the bar - and even in the good times, more could have been done, even a few baskets of finger food occasionally, would help to generate a welcoming atmosphere. A pity, as there is a big catchment area there, including LIT, and so little to make the pub attractive for them.

I find it's grand if you go in there with some company, but if you wander in by yourself, it's hard to get chatting as the regulars usually have their own company - if you get my drift.

There is always finger food for the big matches and for any kind of events there. You are dead right that the regulars can be a bit hard to get in with....I'm going there a while and there are still one or two that I have never spoken to.

Definitely go there with a conversation partner or you will be talking into your pint a lot earlier then expected!

A revamp would do the place wonders but I think the owner/management must be making their money and don't see the need to if they are making what they need

trinz23 said:
    Definitely go there with a conversation partner or you will be talking into your pint a lot earlier then expected!

So very true, LOL! And I thought it was just me!:D

• Advertisement

I'll be tempted to check out the place soon after the reviews both good and bad. I was out that side of town again last night, stopped off in the Greenhills bar for a bite to eat. It was a good starter, dinner & dessert for €20! They had the football on again as with Monday night when I was in there. I can see myself going there when I make the move early next year for grub and pints. It's a hotel, so most know what they get with that. Atmosphere wise, the positive comments on Ardhu are spot on.

Advertisement