Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear Single storey extension - Options/Costs...

Options
  • 05-11-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I am thinking about building an extension off a dining room area, that would end up as a lounge area. It would also mean taking away French doors and a window and putting in a supporting beam, spanning about 5m.

The completed area would be approx. 6m x 3.5m, with a lean to roof to include 2 velux windows. I would also like to add a stove, but could be done later.

The questions I have are :
    1. Should I go direct labour route and work with a structural engineer on the RSJ specs etc...
    2. Should I just go with a contractor and if so how much would it be per sq m?

I'm based in Meath.

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you should get sufficient plans and specifications prepared so as to be able to price both methods and compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Be aware that undocumented construction will prove very problematic for you or whoever you leave the property to when the time comes for the house to be sold . Or re mortgaged. Therefore whatever option you go for you will need a professional involved .

Advertisement