Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning Rip off shopping at Tesco ...

Options
  • 05-11-2012 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Shoppers beware, I recently went to my local Tesco's Store to pick up a few items, one being bread! On my way into the store, I spotted an employee of <SNIP - a baker> outside. He was preparing his fresh bread delivery for Tesco's. I was shocked and annoyed to see him pulling off the dates on out-of-date bread, then sticking new dates from his pocket onto the stale bread for the store. The bread will be gone off before you get home, In this day n age its a total rip-off, bad company practise to say the least! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Did you inform someone working in Tesco of what he was doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This isn't a Tesco rip-off, they are receiving the products in good faith from the baker. In fact, if anything, Tesco themselves are potentially suffering.

Notify Tesco management as well as the bakery management about what you saw.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That's more than a little odd. Surely if this was commonplace we'd be hearing more about it? Did you speak to any of the staff about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Seeing as you are blaming Tesco for this, are you saying that the The Baker merchandiser wasn't doing the same thing for every other shop he delivered to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

If that's true, and not you mistaking what you saw, then that Bakery employ possibly the thickest delivery driver going. Seriously, pulling off the date stickers whilst parked out in front of Tesco with people watching? How did you manage to read the dates on the date stickers and see that one set was out of date and the other was in date?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If someone was trying to dupe Tesco like that surely they'd do it where members of the public could not see it.

Sounds dubious to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I have actually seen this happen with a sandwich supplier at a major festival as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

That has nothing to do with Tesco, and to be fair, is an assumption on your part, it may have been that the dates were wrongly assigned or illegible, for example. Contact the companies in question and ensure you are receiving the quality of product you expect, posting here isn't really going to do much for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

I complained to a shop manager before about brennans bread hiding the fresh bread at the back and the few day old stuff at the front as their slogan says todays bread today,she said she called them up and was told if she keeps complaining they will pull their products from the shop.

Sorry for the slight detour from the topic in hand

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    I complained to a shop manager before about brennans bread hiding the fresh bread at the back and the few day old stuff at the front as their slogan says todays bread today,she said she called them up and was told if she keeps complaining they will pull their products from the shop.

Sorry for the slight detour from the topic in hand
    That's simple stock rotation and standard practice for perishable goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

All of my father's family are bakers and my first paid summer job (aged 12 in 1976) was helping with the deliveries and even then it was common practice to bring out the 'old' bread (i.e delivered the day before) and slip a few of them in among the new deliveries. This was never done to small retailers but always to large ones. Seems like it's still happening all these decades later. The reason - get paid twice for the same loaf of bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

op you can feel the bread to know if its fresh or not. its very squidgy when fresh.
    On the dates matter all large shops seem to do this with perishables. Favourite of mine is lifting up the trays of fruit in tesco to get the fresher ones underneath!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As already pointed out this is standard practice for ALL shops, ALL shops do it with all stock not just bread. If you want better dates then just pick from the back,

I can tell you for a fact that the shop manager told you what they did just to get rid of you as you were annoying them with a silly non-complaint.

If stock wasn't rotated then almost daily the shop would end up with out of date stock and they'd loose money as the bread company wouldn't take back the out of date stock and refund them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

OP- did you see the dates on the date tags that were removed and the new date tags that were put on the bread? Are you absolutely certain they are date tags? I ask because I would be very surprised if you got close enough to see the dates on the bread. You can't have seen the dates unless you were a few feet from the bread, and if you were that close I find it nearly impossible to believe that the delivery man would continue doing this despite you being in such close proximity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sounds like complete bs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

markcwly wrote: »
    Shoppers beware, I recently went to my local Tesco's Store to pick up a few items, one being bread! On my way into the store, I spotted an employee of <SNIP - a baker> outside. He was preparing his fresh bread delivery for Tesco's. I was shocked and annoyed to see him pulling off the dates on out-of-date bread, then sticking new dates from his pocket onto the stale bread for the store. The bread will be gone off before you get home, In this day n age its a total rip-off, bad company practise to say the least! :mad:

How do you know it was out of date?

Cabaal wrote: »
    As already pointed out this is standard practice for ALL shops, ALL shops do it with all stock not just bread. If you want better dates then just pick from the back,

I can tell you for a fact that the shop manager told you what they did just to get rid of you as you were annoying them with a silly non-complaint.

If stock wasn't rotated then almost daily the shop would end up with out of date stock and they'd loose money as the bread company wouldn't take back the out of date stock and refund them.

I had a complaint about a few days old bread being sold as "Today's Bread-Today"

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Joesh82

I would like to know too as if you are not sure about the facts then surely you cant put up a post like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I had a complaint about a few days old bread being sold as "Today's Bread-Today"

You'll have to take that up with Brennans, and in any case; "Todays bread today" relates to when its delivered to the shop. How do you know they didn't deliver the bread on the day it was baked? Also, do you expect a shop to just throw all unpurchased Brennans bread out at the end of the day despite it being several days in date?

Sorry but you're just being ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Having read your posts on this thread I've a sneaking suspicion you are Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I wonder if I could return a pack of Frosties on the basis "They're not that great"?

I had a cadburys crunchie. Gonna sue them for false advertising. I still have this poxy monday feeling.

jordainius wrote: »
    You'll have to take that up with Brennans, and in any case; "Todays bread today" relates to when its delivered to the shop. How do you know they didn't deliver the bread on the day it was baked? Also, do you expect a shop to just throw all unpurchased Brennans bread out at the end of the day despite it being several days in date?

Sorry but you're just being ridiculous.

LATE STARTS

‘Early to bed and early to rise’ is a fine motto for most people but not for us here at Brennans. Because our motto is ‘Today’s Bread Today.’ And that means when the country heads to bed, we head to work. We start baking late at night and continue until sunrise. So the bread you see on the shop shelf every day will have left the bakery early that morning, making it one of the freshest in the country. So when we say ‘Today’s Bread Today’ that’s actually what we are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

this is an old trick used by delivery drivers, nothing new or unusual.

it has been discussed on boards before.

the shops are all well aware of this trick but find it difficult to catch them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 markcwly

I did report <SNIP> to the manager of the shop, that I was not happy with what I saw. The fact that there was, old dates crumpled up on the ground was evidence enough! It brings a new meaning to the phrase <SNIP> , I will inform the Bakers who I believe are based in <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I find the Bakers not so bothered as the delivery guys are self employed, most are great but some you have to walk the section 4ft by 4ft every morning before they leave to make sure there is no crap left on the shelf. The most a store can do is refuse deliveries from the guy, which has happened. That usually gets the suppliers notice when their section is empty for the day.

With a 5 days date code on Brennan's bread, it really only leaves you shopping with the large multiply if you want bread that was anywhere near an oven in the preceding 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Possible explanation. Driver has a small "private customer" like a sandwich bar or shop.He replaces say 30 pans with old bread and gives it to supermarket.He is left with 30 fresh pans he can sell cheaply cash in hand to his own customer.Worth a few hundred a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

how do you not know that the baker didn't accidentally mislabel them originally and was replacing them with the correct label?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

markcwly wrote: »
    The fact that there was, old dates crumpled up on the ground was evidence enough!

Evidence of littering and little else.

• Advertisement

When I was on the back door of a large supermarket I saw this regularly.

We got an consumer affairs inspection for dates on bread and got summonsed. The driver had to check every pan and any that had no date, he had to date with a special gun.

The guns jam, loads of labels get discarded, end up on floor.

Another day, a pallet of chickens turned up and the dopes who dated them put whatever, 3/4/5 days on them, but as the month had changed, and they forgot to change it, they were all "out of date" on delivery :eek:

They had to go back to Ballyhaunis for rewrapping and labelling.

There are numerous things that may have happened here including what you see above.

We just dont know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement