Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household insurance question

Options
  • 05-11-2012 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

I was on jury duty last week and another of the jurers said we could claim €40 daily expenses without it effecting your claims history. I'm with 123.ie and they cover jury duty expenses but not a lot of info in the policy book or on the website. I rang them and they said yes we cover €40 per day or part of, but that it's registered as a claim and my excess is €250!!!!

She didn't sound very sure as she commented how they never really get claims like that as people ate unaware.

Does it sound like she is providing the correct info or how could I clarify?

I served 4 days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Sounds like the person you spoke to hadn't a clue and fobbed you off.

Write or email them on how to make a claim under your policy for Jury Service and seek clarification on whether excess applies.

In my own case I happen to have my policy booklet with me, just checked and it is €20 per day, a maximum of €400 payable and it is expressly stated that the policy excess does not apply. I'm with AA which is RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

123.ie is also RSA but there is no jury service listed as an option on the RSA product sold through 123.ie according to the policy conditions on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

kkelliher wrote: »
    123.ie is also RSA but there is no jury service listed as an option on the RSA product sold through 123.ie according to the policy conditions on their website

They have a booklet available online in PDF format and on page 43 of 60 point number 8 refers to the fact that they provide expenses for jury service. As its a PDF I can't copy an paste for some reason. It doesn't say excess doesn't apply.

I know it's not a huge amount of cash but it's better in my pocket than theirs and I probably would've let it go but you know when you get that nagging feeling that says you've been fobbed off. It's more the principle now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I'd be cautious of makig a claim for that if you were to lose your no claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

peteb2 wrote: »
    I'd be cautious of makig a claim for that if you were to lose your no claims bonus.

+1 For the money the various posters are quoting I would definitely not claim anything from my household policy for jury service. You get a full lunch and as far as I recall, the only expense is getting there and back.

When I got my household insurance renewal earlier this year, I pushed them down by €100 simply by quoting another online quote and giving them the silent treatment on the phone. If I had had a claim during the year, I would have had to accept the renewal quote because they would know that, as with motor insurance, nobody else would give me a quote less than 12 months after a claim.

Protect your no-claims bonus at all costs. I've come to the conclusion that insurance is a major racket, all it involves is you paying for any claims on an instalment basis because anything you claim they will get back from you before anyone else will do business with you.

• Advertisement

I have no intention of claiming anything of it is registered as an actual claim. The info I received was that it isn't classed as a claim and I will only seek it under that condition. Apparently this is funded by a government levy attached to all insurance claims.
    I have mailed them asking for written confirmation of the details in relation to this. I will post the reply here in case anyone googles in the future.

jarvis wrote: »
    They have a booklet available online in PDF format and on page 43 of 60 point number 8 refers to the fact that they provide expenses for jury service. As its a PDF I can't copy an paste for some reason. It doesn't say excess doesn't apply.

I know it's not a huge amount of cash but it's better in my pocket than theirs and I probably would've let it go but you know when you get that nagging feeling that says you've been fobbed off. It's more the principle now!

Page 43 of the household policy on their website is in reference to household legal assist cover and does not relate to Jury Service. Are you sure you are looking at the correct policy for 123.ie? The policy also only has 55 pages so I dont believe you are looking at the correct policy.

For reference here is a link to the current policy booklet http://www.123.ie/misc/policy.htm#

I have no link to RSA or 123.ie

kkelliher wrote: »
    Page 43 of the household policy on their website is in reference to household legal assist cover and does not relate to Jury Service. Are you sure you are looking at the correct policy for 123.ie? The policy also only has 55 pages so I dont believe you are looking at the correct policy.

For reference here is a link to the current policy booklet http://www.123.ie/misc/policy.htm#

I have no link to RSA or 123.ie

The link you provided displays car, home, travel and pet policies. The home policy has 60 pages when I open it. Page 43 does refer to legal assist and point 8 refers to jury service. As it's the home insurace policy, I had presumed all the info within the policy was relevent and that legal assist therefore applied to my case?

I am still waiting on a reply to the mail I sent them yesterday, I will take that reply at face value when I get it. Thanks for investigating for me.

jarvis wrote: »
    The link you provided displays car, home, travel and pet policies. The home policy has 60 pages when I open it. Page 43 does refer to legal assist and point 8 refers to jury service. As it's the home insurace policy, I had presumed all the info within the policy was relevent and that legal assist therefore applied to my case?

I am still waiting on a reply to the mail I sent them yesterday, I will take that reply at face value when I get it. Thanks for investigating for me.

Apologies, thats actually page 41 of the policy document as there are a number of blank pages thrown in for good measure.

Advertisement