Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Gonzo wrote: »
    We look to be on the edge of the cold air with most parts of Ireland staying mainly dry for the coming week with night frosts.

It constantly amazes me just how hard an edge that appears to be. Time after time since I started following weather on Boards, we've had cold march westwards from Europe only to come to a halt over the UK. One would expect more variety in the outcomes with the cold continuing westwards every now and again. The Atlantic flamethrower is persistent and precise.

Maybe next time, eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Wibbler wrote: »
    It constantly amazes me just how hard an edge that appears to be. Time after time since I started following weather on Boards, we've had cold march westwards from Europe only to come to a halt over the UK. One would expect more variety in the outcomes with the cold continuing westwards every now and again. The Atlantic flamethrower is persistent and precise.

Maybe next time, eh? :rolleyes:

In weak setups like this weekend its always going to very tough to get cold enough air this far west. Still possible at times though, depending on the track of lows coming down, they can pull colder air over us for a time as they pass. Thats why from run to run on the models you'll see the -8 air sometimes reaching us and sometimes not. Hard to forecast that very far into the future. What we really need is a proper Scandi high (Greenland high looks unlikely now) leading to a nice, strong easterly that will really push that cold air right over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Its looking cold from Wednesday though??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

snaps wrote: »

After the 12z runs hopefully more clarity.

snaps wrote: »

According to Ian Fergusson on NW just now, the UK Met Office are stressing to him that their confidence in the models is still at recording breaking low levels. I wouldn't look too far ahead at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I see everyone is exhausted, no posts in nearly an hour..
    Well 12z rolling out now so break over, get back to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Rougies wrote: »
    I see everyone is exhausted, no posts in nearly an hour..
    Well 12z rolling out now so break over, get back to work!

Is this the link for the new run rolling out ?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=1

Saganist wrote: »
    Is this the link for the new run rolling out ?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=1

Yup, that's the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

There are 3 runs now to be keeping an eye on on, the GFS, ECM and UKMO, will they fall in line? The ECM was out on its own this morning so hopefully we will have them all singing from the same hymn sheet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

gfs-2-96.png?12?12

What a mess, cold pushed back west! Seems like the cold now is just a carrot dangling just out of reach on every run! Need a proper block pronto!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

First time posting here and a complete weather greenhorn however really into snow so I guess I fit in :) Finding all of your chat really entertaining and interesting by next winter I may have something constructive to post! At the moment I'm at 'a blue over ireland' = good for snow and green = too mild for snow!!! :D

12z GFS is overall an upgrade and prolongs cold with further hints at undercutting. :)

Superb:D

gfs-0-138.png?12

What a mess, cold pushed back west! Seems like the cold now is just a carrot dangling just out of reach on every run! Need a proper block pronto!

Short term cold was always going to be marginal here anyway.

It's after 120hrs we should be looking at to get the proper sustained cold in, which is looking much better on this run out to 144h :) Although this will probably change on the 18z the way things are going lately :rolleyes:

^^ It's FI but that would be a possible significant snow event here at 138 hours.

And this is what happens when you get undercutting - fronts coming up against the very cold air

gfs-2-138.png?12

In terms of cold and longevity this is a major upgrade for Ireland next week. Harsh frosts and very low night time minima. Flurries in the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

At 144z looks good ... even the south might get a little white

Superb:D

gfs-0-138.png?12

Those height to the north need to be sustained and fed into Greenland to build a more durable blocking set up. Still time though!!!

This foreplay is draining, where is the uber cold!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

My memory might be a little blurry from weeks of model watching, but would I be correct in saying that there is a pattern of 12z and 0z upgrades for the past few days?!

156 cold still going strong in a bitter southeasterly

gfs-1-156.png?12

Ireland a lot colder for Monday then previous 00z on UKMO.

UW48-7.GIF?12-17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

We need Maq's input!

156 cold still going strong in a bitter southeasterly

gfs-1-156.png?12

creepy-smile-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-179.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Looking a bit better for Ireland.
    But trying to not get my hopes up :)

UKMO very good as well. Maintains bitter cold with further prospects at 144hrs - and here is your heavy snow showers in the east on Wednesday:)

UW96-21.GIF?12-17

Embryonic heights developing over Greenland! This Ladies and Gentleman is what we need and its just such a pity its out in the FI!

h500slp2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Embryonic heights developing over Greenland! This Ladies and Gentleman is what we need and its just such a pity its out in the FI!

h500slp2.png

Yes some very strong heights. However as per usual the GFS ramps up Atlantic depressions making any Atlantic Ridging impossible.

Tentative signs though and certainly a good run one the whole.

Edit: Looks like I was wrong! Ridge forming in deep FI! Lol. :D

• Advertisement

Very good GFS and UKMO. Two hours time will be interesting, here we go again... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    I need a new sick bag at this stage :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement