Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Europe in the freezer at +240

ECH0-240_vfz3.GIF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Europe in the freezer at +240

ECH0-240_vfz3.GIF

sht-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-669.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I can't remember if they use the latest model on the forecast after the news but the website outlook should be updated with it around midnight.

I would be pretty sure though that they wouldn't base their TV forecast soley on one particular ECM run, but more a blend their own intuition and model trend. That is how it would appear to me anyways. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Looks like a reload deep in F1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

As I said the yesterday pointless looking past Wedensday at the moment and in that regard I'm very happy with the 0z ECM. Snow showers for the east on Wednesday increasingly likely now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

^^ Europe in the freezer? How about those -28 uppers over the US east coast?

Somehow I don't think that will happen.

I would be pretty sure though that they wouldn't base their TV forecast soley on one particular ECM run, but more a blend their own intuition and model trend. That is how it would appear to me anyways. :)

I think the animated charts they show as part of the outlook are directly from the ECM though. But yeah, the interpretation of those would be where the human input comes in. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

From viewing the models in the past few days I have come to the conclusion that the greatest obstacle in achieving a better cold flow to our shores is the Azores high and its linking up with the Scandi high, deflecting the core of the cold southwards into France/Spain/Italy (SE England in a prime position initially). Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I think the animated charts they show as part of the outlook are directly from the ECM though. But yeah, the interpretation of those would be where the human input comes in. :)

Yep, I think though that that even any animated charts they show are really only for demonstration/decorative purposes and to serve as a brief visual backdrop to their wider thinking. Makes you wonder though why the met tend to go with the 00z run as a rule. Perhaps they trust this output more?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

For the moment Tuesday, Tuesday night and Wednesday to watch for the east. Snow showers more likely now and given ground temperatures at that stage settling snow at low levels would be very likely. One to watch.

After that we have more confusion and it's pointless going in to detail but marginally i'd say most likely high pressure ends up over us for the end of the week. Still very cold at night with severe ice and frost but by day not quite as cold IF that happens. Like I say huge uncertainty after Wednesday. For the moment snow freaks in the east can be reasonably satisfied.

The west needs a GFS op run scenario to play out with undercutting of cold air from the west.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Been lurking here all week and I just want to say "Wooo Hoooo" :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

over the past week it must be fun for people watching the weather on RTE who do not follow weather forums online. Every second day RTE are showing cold and wintry conditions for next week and it gets set back to mild and wet again the following day etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

any chance of snow in any part of ireland accept the east and north east?? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

123 LC wrote: »
    Not in the short term, depends on what happens from Wed, models will tell eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Simon, going for cold for UK with Some snow, not allot for Ireland. He thinks the GEM model is the strongest out of the lot.

http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebtv2.php

80% conference level for snow on the hills for Ireland, not allot and did a week forecast.

Look at this link to find out how much cold it needed for snow. :) sleet at most for next week for Ireland.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/snow/how-is-snow-formed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wouldnt be surprised to see an odd flake here this weekend going by met.ies forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Tuesday and wednesday look like the best day for some of the white stuff, especially along the east and south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I wouldnt be put off by met eireann website, they change their outlook every day. A couple of days ago they were saying substantial snowfall for parts of Ireland. They will no doubt change their mind tomorrow again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

How is the north east looking for snow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

123 LC wrote: »

None at the moment sorry, 10 days time that may be very, very different.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The bottom line is that we are looking at nothing extraordinary for the foreseeable, either for the UK or Ireland ....

+1 to this. I think people need to bear this in mind.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Deank wrote: »
    None at the moment sorry, 10 days time that may be very, very different.:D

I disagree with this. There is snow potential for the south and southwest during the same timeframe that the east has potential wintry showers. Everything's still chop and change but it's been evident for the last 3 runs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

I disagree with this. There is snow potential for the south and southwest during the same timeframe that the east has potential wintry showers. Everything's still chop and change but it's been evident for the last 3 runs now.

God dam it we need crystal balls around here, it all changes far to quickly:p

The bottom line is that we are looking at nothing extraordinary for the foreseeable, either for the UK or Ireland but the way it has been advertised the last week or 2 by UK forecasters you'd swear something epic was on the way.

Oh but it is D.E., it is* .... :D

* This statement may or may not be true. Moods may fall as well as rise.

Any predictions on what we'll see on the 18Z GFS? I'm thinking it will be pretty similar to the 12Z until 120. After that, who knows what. Maybe a bit of FIcandy? (Yes, I just made that up. You're welcome)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Any predictions on what we'll see on the 18Z GFS? I'm thinking it will be pretty similar to the 12Z until 120. After that, who knows what. Maybe a bit of FIcandy? (Yes, I just made that up. You're welcome)

A proper east beast in FI !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

"i'm afraid we're in for a cold wintry spell- Evelyn

um, no need to be afraid, we don't mind, this is the way winter is supposed to be

t|nt|n wrote: »
    A proper east beast in FI !

East beast west?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

-5.1 °C last night in Katesbridge aka the freezer :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Fairly quiet on winter tread along with this tread, I think we're at nothing hoping for snow it's very unlikely going by mt,s weather forecasts , maybe we should go by his forecasts rather than torment ourselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement