Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Fairly quiet on winter tread along with this tread, I think we're at nothing hoping for snow it's very unlikely going by mt,s weather forecasts , maybe we should go by his forecasts rather than torment ourselves.

We are all waiting 9 minutes for the GFS to roll out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I wouldnt be put off by met eireann website, they change their outlook every day. A couple of days ago they were saying substantial snowfall for parts of Ireland. They will no doubt change their mind tomorrow again

Just for the record of the forum, the above is completely true since they (seem to) exclusively base their forecasts on the ECM op. Therefore, earlier this week they forecast "significant snowfall" for next week (>5 days away) but that was only based on one ECM run and that, of course, changed with the next update.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

rc28 wrote: »
    Just for the record of the forum, the above is completely true since they (seem to) exclusively base their forecasts on the ECM op. Therefore, earlier this week they forecast "significant snowfall" for next week (>5 days away) but that was only based on one ECM run and that, of course, changed with the next update.

Untrue,

They use a blend of ECMWF, UKMO, GME, Hirlam, Harmonie

Anyway this is not the thread for this discussion so that will be the end of that

Hey PP, odds on the Toughers snowball fight this year ? :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

t|nt|n wrote: »

Im going 65% on ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Just cracked open a nice cold beer so this 18z better be good...For some reason i have a feeling its going to be a cracker;)

dexter647 wrote: »
    Just cracked open a nice cold beer so this 18z better be good...For some reason i have a feeling its going to be a cracker;)

Just grabbed a Captain and Coke, bit of eye candy will sort me right out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Just grabbed a Captain and Coke, bit of eye candy will sort me right out :)
    The Ladies' Lounge >>
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

To my untrained eye GFS looking milder so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

It's only out to +24hrs and pretty much exactly the same

• Advertisement

Graupel wrote: »
    It's only out to +24hrs and pretty much exactly the same

Was thinking the same myself

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭misnormer

Very clear sky tonight in the south thousands of stars out.looks like a few days of cold weather is imminent.havent seen it so clear since mid-november

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

An epic one on the driving range opposite Toughers ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

There's no real difference after 30 hours. The 850 temps are always going to be slightly different in the first few frames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

rc28 wrote: »

Normally,that's all they need to do.But its obvious now in the current set up ,they shouldn't go beyond 3 days with that as since last weeks farming forecast,doing that means a different forecast every day.

Last Sunday Gerry Murphy completely changed the forecast between one and six pm.
    But crucially,he iirc used phrases like,it now looks like..etc.
    More of that is needed.

So readers of this forum needn't worry,if they see a forecast on tv,they don't like at the moment or too excited by one they do...because guidance is pretty bad at the moment.
    Shannon entropy,I think the mathematicians call it...I think ..Just typical eh,its all the fault of a river out west! We'd know if it was going to snow if there was Liffey entropy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

dexter647 wrote: »

Just opened an outside beer after a couple of fridge beers, outside beer so much colder and nicer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I think there may be a drink problem amongst Weather Boardsies (me included), also any more ramping and we'll all have eyesight problems and sore 'Refresh' fingers!

Next frame is big to see if the push back starts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I think there may be a drink problem amongst Weather Boardsies (me included), also any more ramping and we'll all have eyesight problems and sore 'Refresh' fingers!

pfffft, fingers. Amateur. This is how I roll.

GifF5-293x150.gif

+1 on the drinking problem. I think it comes with the addictive personality required to be able to ride this rollercoaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Evening all...so... reading back... I see we have lost viewers by the hundreds... worn out by the roller coaster I am guessing...what with people demanding fresh sick bags and all that..... AND Jaffus closed account...???:confused:

Surely the charts were better than all that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

eskimocat wrote: »
    Evening all...so... reading back... I see we have lost viewers by the hundreds... worn out by the roller coaster I am guessing...what with people are demanding fresh sick bags and all that..... AND Jaffus closed account...???:confused:

Surely the charts were better than all that...

Most people have lives on Saturday nights . . .not us though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

omicron wrote: »

Most of us have pretty good phones on a Saturday night and can multitask..people think I'm texting :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

omicron wrote: »

You can sing that one...This is me having a life cause every time you see me on the weather forum, it's pretty much because I am avoiding writing papers for college!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Not as good as the 12z. Cold Uppers aren't as widespread and the Scandinavian High shifts backwards as the Atlantic Low races over towards it. I've seen better runs. Lets see what the rest of it is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

From a local (Ireland) point of view, a downgrade up to 96 hours with less cold air. On a wider scale, some changes too, but we'll have to see if they are for the better or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

eskimocat wrote: »
    You can sing that one...This is me having a life cause every time you see me on the weather forum, it's pretty much because I am avoiding writing papers for college!!!

I feel your pain, in the middle of my masters, model watching breaks up the study and assignments pretty nicely :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

Downgrade for Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I have an exam on monday, im going to fail and if i do, i've just waited 4 years for nothing, please tell me there'll be 20 ft of snow falling on sunday night

Graupel wrote: »
    Downgrade for Wednesday.

Its not the worse run in the world , a bit of a shift west and its all good , not following the ECM run anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

nbar12 wrote: »
    I have an exam on monday, im going to fail and if i do, i've just waited 4 years for nothing, please tell me there'll be 20 ft of snow falling on sunday night

um, that would be too extreme for ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement