Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Sadly I think those UKMO 120 & 144 charts will only be useful to print out and cry over as the mild air and heavy rain takes over at those timeframes.

UKMO and GEM (the holdout models) have moved much too closely to the GFS in the important timeframes for that to be ignored while the GFS only made a minor adjustment.

Even though UKMO (and maybe the GEM, run hasn't finished yet) 'get there' in the end, its the type of gradual climbdown you'd expect would fully complete after the 0Z runs.

(Depressing I know, but thats how I see it at the moment! :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Gonzo wrote: »
    looking at the weekly forecasts on the tv and the charts on the web right now it looks like it's game over for snow in the western half of Ireland where the air will just be that bit milder

Was this ever game on in the first place? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

so what times do these runs take place? just starting to understand them a little bit now

Plenty of different runs throughout the day from the different models, next major one is the ECMWF at 6pm

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Sadly I think those UKMO 120 & 144 charts will only be useful to print out and cry over as the mild air and heavy rain takes over at those timeframes.

UKMO and GEM (the holdout models) have moved much too closely to the GFS in the important timeframes for that to be ignored while the GFS only made a minor adjustment.

Even though UKMO (and maybe the GEM, run hasn't finished yet) 'get there' in the end, its the type of gradual climbdown you'd expect would fully complete after the 0Z runs.

Sadly I think you're right. That's the way it usually goes unfortunately. But things are all over the place this time round. Anything can happen still.

edit: GEM is good in FI so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Not a bad run from the GEM 12z
    gemnh-1-138.png?12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

GFS has slightly backtracked with the jet position from the 06Z run, but not enough to stop what happens. Worryingly, the UKMO has moved closer to the GFS, but not enough to change it's mind totally.

The difference between where the energy goes is the difference between a mild washout and potential snowfests the likes we which haven't been seen in a long time.

Nervously watching GEM.

Edit : GEM handles the jet at 66 almost identical to the GFS. Exactly what we didn't want to see.

In times like these Maq, praying and optimism may be our last resort. :D

But seriously, I do see potential for GFS to come round to a UKMO esque solution. For example, GFS @120, did send some energy SE, little area of low to our south. UKMO had a more resilient block to a slightly different Atlantic, and thus a massive undercut took place. At the +96 stage of each? An undercut definitely looked possible on both IMO. Of course, as you said, the UKMO did trend slightly towards GFS. Worrying? You betcha, but then again, couldn't we almost say GFS is trending towards a UKMO solution? Tweak that 12z GFS slightly, have more energy head SE, and bobs your uncle.

With saying that, I'd highly doubt something as severe as that UKMO would come off. Proper stuff of ledgend right there, and its crazy to think the charts are for 4/5 days out! Fascinating stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Maq, you're gonna cause mass depression in here..........!!!!!!

320sw0sw7847.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

i think ye might be as well looking at fish swimming around a goldfish bowl as looking at the models the last few days cause there nearly more of a hindrance than a help at the moment:rolleyes: kinda glad ive been only tuning in know and again cause all the chopping and changin would drive ye mad.....hopin for something good starting from the week after next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

snowinformationuk is going nuts with cold and snow on twitter.:D ok it's for the uk, but gives me some hope

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

The really weird thing is the temp currently is 3c but I'm freezing - cant get warm. Apparently a westerly wind but it feels much too chilly for that. Even in the house with the heat on there's a chill which we usually only get with an easterly (and stong) wind. Maybe it's just reading about all the snow "potential" that I'm imagining the cold but all of us are feeling it.

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »
    In times like these Maq, praying and optimism may be our last resort. :D

But seriously, I do see potential for GFS to come round to a UKMO esque solution. For example, GFS @120, did send some energy SE, little area of low to our south. UKMO had a more resilient block to a slightly different Atlantic, and thus a massive undercut took place. At the +96 stage of each? An undercut definitely looked possible on both IMO. Of course, as you said, the UKMO did trend slightly towards GFS. Worrying? You betcha, but then again, couldn't we almost say GFS is trending towards a UKMO solution? Tweak that 12z GFS slightly, have more energy head SE, and bobs your uncle.

With saying that, I'd highly doubt something as severe as that UKMO would come off. Proper stuff of ledgend right there, and its crazy to think the charts are for 4/5 days out! Fascinating stuff.

The thing is I think the UKMO and GEM have moved towards the GFS in a considerable way. The GFS adjustment seems minor in comparison.

You better dip your rosary beads in the tears of Piers Corbyn and pray to St. Bastardi that the ECM takes the energy southeast, cause thats the only way I think thats going to happen. :P

OK I'm being dramatic, just trying to lighen the mood a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

The really weird thing is the temp currently is 3c but I'm freezing - cant get warm. Apparently a westerly wind but it feels much too chilly for that. Even in the house with the heat on there's a chill which we usually only get with an easterly (and stong) wind. Maybe it's just reading about all the snow "potential" that I'm imagining the cold but all of us are feeling it.

Having just been out in it, i too find it hard to believe that it's 3 degrees. Bitterly cold, even out of the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Same here! I'm in the house all day and the heating is on but I'm still cold!! Somethings brewing I tell ya :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I have the fire blazing since about 3pm. Not cold in the slightest. I am however practically sitting on top of it.. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Saganist wrote: »
    I have the fire blazing since about 3pm. Not cold in the slightest. I am however practically sitting on top of it.. :pac::pac:

Careful now!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

leahyl wrote: »
    Careful now!:pac:

Few more logs methinks.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The thing is I think the UKMO and GFS have moved towards the GFS in a considerable way. The GFS adjustment seems minor in comparison.

Well personally I'd find it strange if the GFS wasn't moving towards the GFS. :D:D

I presume you mean the GEM. If so, I personally think the GEM is ok, sure, short term trends towards gfs, but by +96, energy is possibly going somewhere. Where??? SE baby. :P

ECM yep will tell a lot.

Also, what a beast of an LP on some models post +120 timeframe coming out of America! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Also, what a beast of an LP on some models post +120 timeframe coming out of America! :O

i'm blown away by that LP. its almost hurricane force wind if it happens. huge swell too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I have to agree with maquiladora ,unless there the ECM or the next run of the GFS have big upgrades i think sadly missed the boat this time:mad:
    Whats the chances of the GEM been spot on on this ? i don't know it track record ,can any body enlighten me of its track record much appreciated thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

We have not missed the boat. Good chance of a couple of snow "events" this week.:cool:

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    I have to agree with maquiladora ,unless there the ECM or the next run of the GFS have big upgrades i think sadly missed the boat this time:mad:
    Whats the chances of the GEM been spot on on this ? i don't know it track record ,can any body enlighten me of its track record much appreciated thanks.

I'm not sure about it's record in the past, but word on the street is that it's performing well lately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

You are probably right Maq but do you know what is keeping me going? The fact that nobody knows exactly what way things are going, not the models, the met professionals or us! We have already seen some snow on low levels today and thats days before we are due any, I have a hunch we might see something soon! I think we'd be very unlucky if we didnt!! Keep the faith... We need you!!! :)

Well personally I'd find it strange if the GFS wasn't moving towards the GFS. :D:D

:P Yes I meant GEM.

Anyway, not long to wait for the ECM now.

You are probably right Maq but do you know what is keeping me going? The fact that nobody knows exactly what way things are going, not the models, the met professionals or us! We have already seen some snow on low levels today and thats days before we are due any, I have a hunch we might see something soon! I think we'd be very unlucky if we didnt!! Keep the faith... We need you!!! :)

Well there's no need to get too depressed. If we're not lucky this time, we could well have another chance late in the month or next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Lads why not use the 120 hour model thread and over 120 hour model thread? things are messy in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

We have not missed the boat. Good chance of a couple of snow "events" this week.:cool:
    Only seen your other tread now,thanks for keeping us updated,when i said missing the boat i ment a full on beast from the east not battle ground snow.

Pangea wrote: »
    Lads why not use the 120 hour model thread and over 120 hour model thread? things are messy in here.

It's grand in here for the moment. If snow starts getting nailed on we'll have to switch over alright. It's easier here anyway because we can talk about short term and long term in the same place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Can some one explain the acronyms?
    UKMO - I got that
    GFS, GEM, GEFS, ECM?

stoneill wrote: »
    Can some one explain the acronyms?
    UKMO - I got that
    GFS, GEM, GEFS, ECM?

They're all different computer models. Loads of info here...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056447334

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Ecm not bad at 72h?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement