Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

ECM is colder at 72 with -8 uppers in the East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

Verdicts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

This chart generating a lot of excitement on netweather, but unlikely to verify:

UW144-21.GIF?13-18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Verdicts?

Better for the East on Wed.
    Long term looking better so far too. Not great, but better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Verdicts?

ECM goes pretty much the same route as the GFS out to 120.

A bit better in the near term for us, but the bigger picture is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Verdicts?

Take Evelyn's advice, keep in touch with the daily forecasts for the latest updates.

It is hard to be certain about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

ECM looks slightly better than previous run to my eyes. Slightly colder uppers midweek. At +144 the Scandinavian high also looks a little stronger than previous run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Wat are the chances if snow around the Louth/meath area tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

ive a feeling theres going to be a lot of those questions on here this week! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

pad199207 wrote: »
    ive a feeling theres going to be a lot of those questions on here this week! :D
    Might be time to set up a website called Predictsnowinmybackyard.com, i wonder should there be a charge for predictions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Min wrote: »

Take Evelyn's advice, keep in touch with the daily forecasts for the latest updates.

It is hard to be certain about anything.

Does anyone have a link to te precipitation charts ( sorry cant remember ) that's always a good one to follow too

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

11%

• Registered Users Posts: 11 silverthorn100

any chance of snow in the south east region at any stage... tipperary/kilkenny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

The only 'real' snow I feel we will have this week is on wednesday or thursday in the Eastern costal of the country and even that is in question at the moment. It could turn out to be dry and cold only.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Guys it seems to be all about the east as every year! Did ye all not know its all about Dublin lol

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to te precipitation charts ( sorry cant remember ) that's always a good one to follow too
    Reliable precipitation forecasts
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm Hirlam Precipitation to Tues at 19.00 (click on nedbor)
    http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,418 similar but dark blue = snow
    http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=48&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=1&PERIOD=&WMO= Nae Model pink = snow

• Registered Users Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Guys it seems to be all about the east as every year! Did ye all not know its all about Dublin lol

Yes its about Antrim, Down, Armagh, Louth, Meath, Kildare, Meath, Wicklow and Wexford as well. And even at that the chances of decent snow here from streamers this week is less than 50/50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

any chance of snow in the south east region at any stage... tipperary/kilkenny :)

Doubt it. Tempetures are still doing up. 3.5 in Naas and rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Was Dublin the only place to get a sprinkling of the white stuff today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the east the most snow..
    We cant change that :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

The really weird thing is the temp currently is 3c but I'm freezing - cant get warm. Apparently a westerly wind but it feels much too chilly for that. Even in the house with the heat on there's a chill which we usually only get with an easterly (and stong) wind. Maybe it's just reading about all the snow "potential" that I'm imagining the cold but all of us are feeling it.

Weirdly, there is that distinctive 'snow smell' outside here, even though there is no snow and temp is 5.0c. First time I smelled that smell this winter so far. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'm in Waterford and at times like this I always throw in the 1 in 6 rule. We get snow worth taking photos of every 6 years on average.. i.e. Sometimes 3, sometimes 10! I'm not expecting anything this year or next year. Statistically we're not due anything like good snow here since we got it in 2009/10. Simplistic I know but I don't see why statistics aren't built into FI charts anyway.

Short version.. We're not due any!

Having said that, the heaviest snow that I remember has always been 2 or 3 bursts in a 24 hour period that's gone within 48 hrs. I never remember a week or more of snow and I'm in my mid 30's.

I'm going for a no this time. I'll be more hopeful in 2015 when we're more 'due it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Good reason to be optimistic this evening in terms of cold at least! Impressively 850HPA Temperatures of -6 are retained until Saturday next in the East on the latest 12Z ECMWF Guidance.

If you want to see real cold however, check out the Northern Hemispheric Profile and (North America) on T+216/T+240 on the latest ECMWF 12Z Guidance.

Serious problems for large metropolitan areas in the Midwest and Northeast USA if that was to verify!

SA

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

The day after tomorrow is on E4 to get ye in the mood for what we can expect in the coming weeks.

Trotter wrote: »
    I'm in Waterford and at times like this I always throw in the 1 in 6 rule. We get snow worth taking photos of every 6 years on average.. i.e. Sometimes 3, sometimes 10! I'm not expecting anything this year or next year. Statistically we're not due anything like good snow here since we got it in 2009/10. Simplistic I know but I don't see why statistics aren't built into FI charts anyway.

Having said that, the heaviest snow that I remember has always been 2 or 3 bursts in a 24 hour period that's gone within 48 hrs. I never remember a week or more of snow and I'm in my mid 30's.

I'm going for a no this time. I'll be more hopeful in 2015 when we're more 'due it'.

You're falling into "the gambler's fallacy" there. It doesn't work like that.

Trotter wrote: »

If you had your camera in '47 you would have gotten some pictures. Even down in Ardmore on the coast.
    I recall also that year of the big snow – 1947 broke all records when measured in degrees of cold and frost – the cold spell lasted for round about 10 weeks and rural communities such as Ardmore were frequently cut off in the blizzard conditions when snowdrifts as 10ft were commonplace, I remember the village being completely cut off and the snow being shovelled away at the Sluggera Cross to allow Flemings bread van from Youghal to get into the village.

http://www.esatclear.ie/~jlarkin/ssary/ssary.htm

Weirdly, there is that distinctive 'snow smell' outside here, even though there is no snow and temp is 5.0c. First time I smelled that smell this winter so far. :pac:

I know that smell. For me it's the smell of smoke from chimneys as the easterly wind over Dublin carries it over to me. And because it's cold, there's more smoke too as there are more fires. I wonder if that's what you;re smelling too, the smoke from all the towns and villages as the wind travels across the country to Tuam?

Rougies wrote: »
    I know that smell. For me it's the smell of smoke from chimneys as the easterly wind over Dublin carries it over to me. And because it's cold, there's more smoke too as there are more fires. I wonder if that's what you;re smelling too, the smoke from all the towns and villages as the wind travels across the country to Tuam?

It's the smell of the UKMO computer on fire in Exeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I can smell it too. Def smoke from household fires.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Nope, wind is from the WNW here and living in a smog prone area, I know the smell of chimney smoke well; this is different, this is the snow smell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement