Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Nope, wind is from the WNW here and living in a smog prone area, I know the smell of chimney smoke well; this is different, this is the snow smell.

Oh yeah, the winds are westerly at the moment alright (model fatigue kicking in) :o
    Well good to hear reports of the snow smell anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Rougies wrote: »
    Well good to hear reports of the snow smell anyway!

Gotta take what you can for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

If you had your camera in '47 you would have gotten some pictures. Even down in Ardmore on the coast.

Thats stunning. I just cant imagine it happening. Maybe the climate has changed just that little bit that puts that situation beyond us here in the South East coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

As for tonights precipitation, I get the feeling judging from current temperatures compared to yesterday, the current charts and the forecasts on TV that tonight's front will mostly deliver rain with sleet mixed in, as we are now in slightly milder air and temperatures have risen slightly on what they were all day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Gonzo wrote: »
    As for tonights precipitation, I get the feeling judging from current temperatures compared to yesterday, the current charts and the forecasts on TV that tonight's front will mostly deliver rain with sleep mixed in, as we are now in slightly milder air and temperatures have risen slightly on what they were all day.

Great, I could do with a good sleep.. These models have me exhausted!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Here is the 850 hPa temp and MSLP pattern for the last 3 days if it helps to give a sense of trend leading up to any potential that may lie ahead for the coming days. Images from Vedur.is

Test.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Well for anyone looking at radar you'll see we have percip up here in Donegal Townright now... and its.....rain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z ECM ensemble mean

24 hours from now :

EDM0-24.GIF?13-0

10 days from now :

EDM0-240.GIF?13-0

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

That looks like trouble!
    Much wanted trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Leahyl is a VERY happy bunny after that forecast from Evelyn! I do believe that was a cloud with snow over Cork was it not?! I'll take that! :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I thought they couldnt predict with any significant accuracy more than 5 days ahead?
    It will be interesting to see how cold it is if the heavy precipitation forecast for Firday materialises though.

I thought they couldnt predict with any significant accuracy more than 5 days ahead?
    It will be interesting to see how cold it is if the heavy precipitation forecast for Firday materialises though.

The ECM ensemble mean is the average based on 50 different runs of a computer model, all with slightly different starting conditions to account for errors.

You're right, they can't. And right now even two days ahead is proving difficult.

It's the trends and potential we're talking about past 48hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Rougies wrote: »
    You're right, they can't. And right now even two days ahead is proving difficult.

It's the trends and potential we're talking about past 48hrs.

But with the similarities between the 24hrs and 240hrs looking identical in nature surely it's a good sign that it may be an n-ice situation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

A week of lamppost watching ahead

red_bairn wrote: »
    But with the similarities between the 24hrs and 240hrs looking identical in nature surely it's a good sign that it may be an n-ice situation. :D

Well 24hrs isn't that good to begin with. But yeah it's better to see cold still close by at 240hrs than raging Atlantic. Not that it matters anyway, 240hrs may as well be 240 million hours in the current model "climate"

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Get a security light on off on off on off on off on off

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

looks like i might be walking through the snow tomorrow morning if the nea chart is correct:)

18Z GFS. The jet is a bit further south. But not enough. You'd actually want to strangle it looking at the charts. :mad::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORRRRRREEEEEEE!

Clondalkin in Dublin

yes, a model burn out group maybe be needed soon:D

the gfs chart for friday looks like a case of if only- there would be a potential classic event if it played ball by going further south and east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

Lads I'm fed up of the chase to be honest.

On the verge of jumping overBOARD. (Pun intended)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Time this was done.............

pramthrow.gif

Time this was done.............

Wrong thread to post that in. There's another one where it might be more fitting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

looks like i might be walking through the snow tomorrow morning if the nea chart is correct:)
    Rub our noses in it why don't you :(:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

What would these runs with the PV coming across the atlantic to pay us a visit actually mean for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Joe Bastardi ‏@BigJoeBastardi
    Looks like we are going to get one of those great pics of the UK and Ireland covered in snow again soon. Gotta love it!

http://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/290335674253602817/photo/1

BigJoeBastardi Joe Bastardi: Coldmeggedon in Europe! left day 1-5 temps, middle 6-10 rt major snowfalls much of continent including UK!

Ian Fergusson:
    only just catching up on all this discussion today, but can I strike major note of caution re any comment on UKMO-GM raw at T+120 etc.... this underwent major amendment at Exeter to reach better consensus with EC/GFS 12Z and for now the broad anticyclonic pattern remains favoured, i.e. mostly dry barring boundary layer developments onto E coasts. There was no support for GM solution and hence Exeter changes, as doubtless reflected in FAX charts (albeit I haven't yet checked) are as per modified model frames as example posted here.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

delw wrote: »
    Rub our noses in it why don't you :(:p

Were will he be walking in snow ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement