Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

From the forecast last night. Evelyn stressed the uncertainty about which side we'll end up on, but it's always more likely we'll be on the mild side just because of our position. Or it could be even more knife edge with the split between rain/sleet/snow running down the country itself. I think this forum would erupt in civil war. :pac:

O2gN8.jpg

Interesting week ahead for sure.

Yes its very close.going by that chart the atlantic swings around in the direction of north west possibly allowing the cold to come back over ireland hopfully dumping snow on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

While we're waiting for the latest charts. Here is a look at the re-analysis charts of the days of heavy snow in February 1947. Obviously there were no computers then, these are done by putting in all the recorded weather data available at the time and getting the computer to then assemble it into charts similar to what we see in weather models today.

Feb 2nd:

archives-1947-2-2-12-0.png
    archives-1947-2-2-12-1.png

Feb 8th :

archives-1947-2-8-12-0.png
    archives-1947-2-8-12-1.png

Feb 21th :

archives-1947-2-21-12-0.png
    archives-1947-2-21-12-1.png

And finally, the "great blizzard" of Feb 25th :

archives-1947-2-25-12-0.png
    archives-1947-2-25-12-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

lucy2010 wrote: »
    before I absolutely brick myself temps to get down to minus 12 at the weekend in Paris ... ( WTF !!!)

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=120&mode=9

Need major tips on keeping kids warm in that weather - be lucky if they have felt -1 here !!!!!

Sweetie, first up gloves.

Second up, if they are over 2 years old I am sure they have felt more than -1oC in Ireland.

It fell to -18oC in Sligo in December 2010 and -15oC in Dublin.(colder than the -12oC you mention in Paris)..don't you remember?! :D

D

Pangea wrote: »
    Ok derekon.
    You often say you would love to see snow but then post showing your happy without snow as per above, just curious as to what is going on in that head of yours or perhaps you have a different meaning to a Grinning face than everyone else? :P

Might be sarcasm? :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sweetie :confused:

D uses the smiley face at the end of every post regardless :D

Looking forward to the mildness thta the GFS nailed last week ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

derekon wrote: »
    Sweetie, first up gloves.

Second up, if they are over 2 years old I am sure they have felt more than -1oC in Ireland.

It fell to -18oC in Sligo in December 2010 and -15oC in Dublin.(colder than the -12oC you mention in Paris)..don't you remember?! :D

D

nope - dont remember much of the cold of 2010 - tended to not venture out in it !!! yes gloves a must as are tights, long johns, hot water bottles !!!:)

nope - dont remember much of the cold of 2010 - tended to not venture out in it !!! yes gloves a must as are tights, long johns, hot water bottles !!!:)

What? You can't remember the cold of 2010?!!

Are you sure you lived in Ireland?

The place was practically like the Arctic for nigh on a month (severe frost, record cold temperatures, heavy snowfalls, airports closed, M50 snowbound)................anyway thermal gloves and wooly hats would be good for Paris. And plenty of soup! :D

Enjoy the trip Lucy, its a great city.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Whoa we had hail in Drogheda for a whole 10 seconds :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Fairly mild today, may it long continue... f*ck you snow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Noffles wrote: »

There is a thread for people who prefer milder weather... maybe you should have a wonder over there instead of looking for reactions here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Noffles wrote: »

Should be a cold one tomorrow morning

13011509_1406.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

before I absolutely brick myself temps to get down to minus 12 at the weekend in Paris ... ( WTF !!!)
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse...ech=120&mode=9
    Need major tips on keeping kids warm in that weather - be lucky if they have felt -1 here !!!!....nope - dont remember much of the cold of 2010 - tended to not venture out in it !!! yes gloves a must as are tights, long johns, hot water bottles !!!:)

Like an Onion... Layers... vest, t-shirt/long-sleeve top, sweater/cardigan, coat/jacket...no good going indoors wearing just a heavy sweater with fewer underlayers as they'll just sweat in it and then catch cold once they go back outside. Protect extremities with gloves & hat - make sure their ears are covered by the hat/hood as ears/finger-tips/toes get cold quickest. Tights under pants/trousers are a good idea. Warm socks over the tights will help keep feet warm... if no tights then double-up on the socks, thin socks first, then cover with thick warm socks. A scarf to stop the cold getting in around the neck. Most body heat is lost through the hands/head/feet so keeping these parts warm first is best.

The climate is drier in continental Europe so it won't 'feel' as cold there at -12 as it would here (ignoring wind flow/weather direction). I've had some clients tell me that -1C in Ireland feels like -7/-8C in Germany/France....

Lip-balm definitely... and if they are small kids then rub a smidge of the balm on their cheeks too (jaw-line to just above cheek-bone) and around the nose to help protect the skin getting to dry. Small bit of vaseline works for that too.

I love the cold :)

Sweetie :confused:

D uses the smiley face at the end of every post regardless :D

Looking forward to the mildness thta the GFS nailed last week ;)

Exactly Jerry, oops I am doing it again :D

Anyway, back to the snow watching..............this is getting addictive!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The Chinese are at it again

cma-0-168_wkq0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Rte 1 o clock weather showed no snow what so ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Some models going all 1947 for the weekend. It will probably get downgraded to nothing like every other opportunity this year in the mean time. Maybe, just maybe after all our bad luck it will actually upgrade, just this once. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssse!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

derekon wrote: »

What? You can't remember the cold of 2010?!!

Are you sure you lived in Ireland?

The place was practically like the Arctic for nigh on a month (severe frost, record cold temperatures, heavy snowfalls, airports closed, M50 snowbound)................anyway thermal gloves and wooly hats would be good for Paris. And plenty of soup! :D

Enjoy the trip Lucy, its a great city.

D

Kids were off school so was so busy with the rounds of drying clothes . Couldn't move car for 3 weeks out of driveway so no wasn't really out .

Yeah Didney with the kids - so be out in cold all day long .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Some models going all 1947 for the weekend. It will probably get downgraded to nothing like every other opportunity this year in the mean time. Maybe, just maybe after all our bad luck it will actually upgrade, just this once. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssse!

Was 1947 a nationwide event? I believe it was as compared to 1982 which was mainly a snowfall event for the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

A pretty good summary of the current forecasts for Britain from the Daily Mash.
    Meteorologist Tom Logan said: “At this point all we can say for certain is ‘massive exclamation mark in a triangle’.
    “That’s right. It is time to abandon sanity.”
    www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/britain-urged-to-freak-out-2013011455905

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

Blizzards were the norm. People had to dig themselves out of houses...Snow didnt disappear for months.

Dec /January 1983 Heavy snow over the period particularly round early Jan 1983. Family funeral in Sligo. Family members from East coast afraid to travel on roads. Snow falling heavily as the family member was being buried.

Because of the ice, temps dropped to -14 in Sligo - I have the proof as I photographed the LCD display in my car.... Everything in house burst. No water, no heat... had my xmas dinner on my lap...

Oh happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Blizzards were the norm. People had to dig themselves out of houses...Snow didnt disappear for months.

Dec /January 1983 Heavy snow over the period particularly round early Jan 1983. Family funeral in Sligo. Family members from East coast afraid to travel on roads. Snow falling heavily as the family member was being buried.

Because of the ice, temps dropped to -14 in Sligo - I have the proof as I photographed the LCD display in my car.... Everything in house burst. No water, no heat... had my xmas dinner on my lap...

Oh happy days.

It was bliss pure bliss ,

I for one await and appreciate our new Snow overlords,

Although im getting a little impatient waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

Was 1947 a nationwide event? I believe it was as compared to 1982 which was mainly a snowfall event for the east coast.

We had bucket loads of snow in 1982 in east clare. I remember falling into a snow drift and being up to my neck in snow, I was only a wee lad back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭hawkwing

We had bucket loads of snow in 1982 in east clare. I remember falling into a snow drift and being up to my neck in snow, I was only a wee lad back then.

Same in SE Tipp,no school for 2 weeks. Ridicolous drifts,started as rain/sleet the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

hawkwing wrote: »

Same in SE Tipp,no school for 2 weeks. Ridicolous drifts,started as rain/sleet the night before.

That's my first real memory of a big snow fall. I think that's where my fascination with snow comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Bejubby wrote: »

If any of these 3 came off it would be pretty special.

UW144-21.GIF

gfs-0-144.png

gfs-0-138.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sleet currently falling in North Tipperary, although I suspect it will quickly turn to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just got a text from my friend in London and it's snowing there, although not sticking...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Bejubby wrote: »
    Pitty its way into FI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

1982 was not a patch on 1947.

I remember the huge snow drifts of 1982, but there are reports of snow drifts of upto 50 feet in 1947.

The snow was so high in 1947 that it was only trees sticking up that showed where the ditches were.

There was so much snow in 1947, that when it melted it led to epic flooding when a rapid thaw and rain set in.
    Reports for Kilkenny of rivers rising by several metres.
    The snow has lasted on the hills far longer than the lowlands and some of the locals in city would be having a go at the country people from the hills with 'I see ye still have the snow', given they were happy to be rid of it, so they would be told 'ye will get it all in water yet'. So they did...the worst in living memory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement