Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Pitty its way into FI[/Quote

I know yes but it has happened before,imagine pure cold either side of us.
    This will go down in history!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Bejubby wrote: »

The 850HPa temps on the charts are only at -4 for most of the models, with those too fronts either side I would have thought the uppers would be colder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Min,in the croghan area of North wexford about 6 miles west of Arklow,the drifts in january 1982 were up to the tops of the tree's in the woods there.
    That was above 800ft and up to about 1500ft.

I can remember down nearer Arklow,the drifts did bury the ditches,that was right down at sea level,circa 10ft or so.

But yes my Da often mentioned 47.It was like a series of '82 blizzards,it's little wonder it eventually buried trees altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Dec /January 1983 Heavy snow over the period particularly round early Jan 1983. Family funeral in Sligo. Family members from East coast afraid to travel on roads. Snow falling heavily as the family member was being buried.

Oh happy days.
    That would have been Dec 81 and january 82

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Bejubby wrote: »

Yup that's the stuff that I dream about..
    I has to happen again maybe it will be this year :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

leahyl wrote: »
    Just got a text from my friend in London and it's snowing there, although not sticking...:)

Yet? :)

236268.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

ha ha, this made me giggle

236269.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Was 1947 a nationwide event? I believe it was as compared to 1982 which was mainly a snowfall event for the east coast.

http://www.turtlebunbury.com/history/history_irish/history_irish_big_snow.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

While we're waiting for the latest charts. Here is a look at the re-analysis charts of the days of heavy snow in February 1947. Obviously there were no computers then, these are done by putting in all the recorded weather data available at the time and getting the computer to then assemble it into charts similar to what we see in weather models today.

Feb 2nd:

archives-1947-2-2-12-0.png

Since this is the RAMPING thread i shall leave this piece here to drool upon..

A piece from the book Ireland's Arctic Siege .
    February

On saturday 1 February , Captain S. G Hickman and his crew of thirty-five on the Irish Plane , a 7000 ton vessel , were on a routine voyage from Swansea to Cork with a cargo of Coal. Seas were mildly choppy , nothing unusual.
    It Was not until 1948 that the Met Service assumed responsibility for the weather forecasts broadcast on Radio Eiréann , up to then provided from London , and it was not until 1952 that it began to supply forecasts to the newspapers . Instead the papers often relied on their own "weather experts" , "weather prophets" some preferred to call them, with mild derision . ON this weekend they had forecast no storms.
    Unknown to those on land and at sea , during the afternoon there began a mighty struggle between two behemoths : warm , moisture -laden clouds and winds from the south-west off the Atlantic , and powerful , invading , frigid east winds from the high-pressure zone to the anti-cyclonic north. In such a confrontation the colliding systems do not intermingle , as the high pressure to the north and east of Britain and Ireland provided a block to the movement of depressions. As a consequence , the warm , moist air is forced to rise over the denser cold air , until it can no longer hold its moisture , creating a classic condition for potential violent , blizzard weather.
    Some time around 8pm ., with winds raging at 60mph , the Irish Plane ( name of the SHIP ) , fighting mountainous seas , "ran into the hurricane" as one crew member put it. It was driven aground about 50 yards from a steep cliff . Meanwhile in DUblin people were flocking to cinemas , theatres and dancehalls , unconcerned as a " gale steadily rose" and temperature fell. W.H Booth and J O Brien , SUnday Independent van drivers , were expecting a normal night of deliveries to distant counties .
    At 1.30 am on SUnday morning the Blizzard began . By 2.30 am snow was falling at a rate of more than an inch per hour , sticking thickly to every surface . As " the blizzard raged during the night , " in the words of the irish Independent , the snow " plastered against walls and tres as firmly as if it were put on with a trowel " Before long Booth and O Brien found themselves marooned in a deep snowdrift in Co.Kilkenny . Dubliners awoke on Sunday morning Flabbergasted to "find the city bogged in snow" drifts reaching five to six feet deep . Transport was paralysed and telephone and telegraph communications in a shambles . Much of the ESB's system was down creating general condition of " havoc" in the capital.
    Life in the countryside was brought to a standstill as heavy snow and high houses. In Co.Carlow , Jim Nolan had gone to bed on Saturday night with the sound of the wind screaming , "as if it was coming from some big blower in the heavens" . When he arose next morning , " I could not believe my eyes - all i could see were the tops of trees covered by huge drifts! "

A " SURPRISE BLIZZARD " The Irish Times called it.

:)

Must close the book for now and go back to some study!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Thanks maq.... amazing reading ... blizzards lasting 50 hours... wow

• Advertisement

Met Eireann has pdf files with reports and details about most of the major winter weather events in Ireland.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/major-events.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

The talk of 1947 around here reminds me of certain talk of 1966 over the water in England, each world cup they talk themselves up, but eventually are let down :p

Hopefully we will fulfill our 1947 potential this year :D

Spindle wrote: »
    The talk of 1947 around here reminds me of certain talk of 1966 over the water in England, each world cup they talk themselves up, but eventually are let down :p

Hopefully we will fulfill our 1947 potential this year :D

I know this is the ramp thread, but you might want to lower those expectations a fair bit!

If we are lucky, somewhere could get a lot of snow. But 1947 was truely exceptional.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

:eek: there would be some very Happy and unhappy people if things were to go like this

Untitled1.png?t=1358174168

14011306108270010170-1.png

14011306132270010170-1.png

Anyone else feel like this ?

bp-carrot-stick2.jpg

These charts are pointless because they change every 6 hours and are not accurate at all. But just for fun.

sO84g.png

It'll probably all be rain in reality, wait and see. :rolleyes: :P

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

But just for fun.

Not laughing here I can tell you! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Those charts are killing me :)

Those charts are killing me :)

Don't take them seriously at all though. On the very next run you could see 0cm all over Ireland. Just thought it was funny with all the jealousy of England getting snow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The latest from the MO

BAlBIj7CYAAut4B.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Nice, really.

I'm gonna drive to Scottish Highlands this weekend. Seriously thinking about snowchains. :D

• Advertisement

12Z models about to roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

12Z models about to roll.

I have a good feeling about the 12zs, no reason, just a feeling !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I have a feeling this all just a trial run for some real cold at the start of of February, nothing much to base that on other than a hunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

t|nt|n wrote: »
    I have a good feeling about the 12zs, no reason, just a feeling !

I've got a gun pointed at the GFS's main processor. It better behave!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Villain wrote: »
    I have a feeling this all just a trial run for some real cold at the start of of February, nothing much to base that on other than a hunch.

*rubs hands* 1947...here we come! *rubs hands*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Pretty much as you were out to 48 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,199 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Have a bit of a shower here at the mo. Theres a bit of sleet mixed in. Just a bit :)

Shenanigans. Seagulls and a rainbow don't count as sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Cold about 50 miles Further west at +48 but end result is much the same for Wednesday i.e. rain/sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Pretty much as you were out to 48 hrs

Yup, no change. I'm giving up on Tues/Wed at this stage. Even if it does snow, it'll likely be the wet non-sticking type. No thanks, I'd prefer a hard frost over that mess, get the ground temps down for the main event later on ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rougies wrote: »
    Yup, no change. I'm giving up on Tues/Wed at this stage. Even if it does snow, it'll likely be the wet non-sticking type. No thanks, I'd prefer a hard frost over that mess, get the ground temps down for the main event later on ;)

What main event? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement