Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

As I saw a date of around the 15th of Jan was the approx time that the SSW would start to show in the models. Looking forward to the models over the next few days so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

can someone link my the ECM charts, please and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

can someone link my the ECM charts, please and thanks

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

steveLFC24 wrote: »

cheers, got rid of the bookmark by accident

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    Look,

I am not getting into a snow fight here. All I am saying is that meaningful snow in the South or west is extremely rare. I left Dublin on 24 December 2010 to go home to Killarney. I left my house in west Dublin - Blanchardstown at 8 am and it was was - 11 in the car that particular morning - exceptionally low I know and there was about 30-40 cm of snow in the estate. It had been snowing for over two weeks on and off.

When I arrived in Killarney it was cold but there was not a flake of snow to be seen - no snow cover at all, just some frost. That says it all and the same applies to the rest of the south and south west.

Yep, it's more rare in the south/west alright. The east gets a lot of snow from showers due to the Irish Sea. But if you're looking for a major snow event then the south is well suited to that as long as the air is cold enough and the jetstream is forcing lows to pass south of Ireland, the precipitation on the north of the lows spreads into the south and falls as frontal snow instead of rain. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does its very significant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Yep, it's more rare in the south/west alright. The east gets a lot of snow from showers due to the Irish Sea. But if you're looking for a major snow event then the south is well suited to that as long as the air is cold enough and the jetstream is forcing lows to pass south of Ireland, the precipitation on the north of the lows spreads into the south and falls as frontal snow instead of rain. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does its very significant.

Is this a potential outcome under the current setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

+1 on that, we have seen some very heavy falls of snow in the west and kerry see's plenty of snow but i do agree that the east is in a much more favorably position.

Trotter wrote: »
    Is this a potential outcome under the current setup?

It has shown up a few times out in FI on some of the models over the past week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

gemnh-0-138_sww8.png

Scandi high trying to split the vortex around +138

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

It has shown up a few times out in FI on some of the models over the past week or so.

Some might even call it a trend :eek:

• Advertisement

In fairness though, just about every option under the sun has shown up in FI recently. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

I still think we will get lucky this winter and I've been saying this for at least a month now (even before any mention of the SSW) There has been remarkable similarities with 1947 up to now, while it's unlikely to be as bad good as '47 I think we will see blocking get stronger to the NE for the rest of the month and into Feb. I'm more optimistic than pessimistic at the moment. :)
    * I think any "mild" breakdowns will be temporary and are unlikely to get as far as eastern England,

Totally agree with you Elmer. As far as I can remember you called last winters drab performance in december '11. (correct me if I'm wrong).
    So I'm a believer!!

I'm not a fan of these snow forecast charts because they can change a lot on every run and are not reliable in marginal situations.

But, just for fun and to improve the mood a bit? Even the big bad GFS gives this for Friday.

13011812_1412.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Pete, you may just as well have shouted "All AboOAARRD!!" (for the next roller-coaster ride - destination unknown!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Some light snowfall here in Blessington this evening about 90 minutes ago. Gave a covering on cars and a bit on the grass. Not sure if it was forecasted:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Winterwatch ..is now on BBC HD ..perfect back ground viewing for "Snow Watch 2013"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Some light snowfall here in Blessington this evening about 90 minutes ago. Gave a covering on cars and a bit on the grass. Not sure if it was forecasted:confused:

Blessington is at 223m asl so you'll always do a bit better there in marginal situations compared to lower areas.

Rougies wrote: »
    Blessington is at 204m asl so you'll always do a bit better there in marginal situations compared to lower areas.

Aye thats true - could get plastered here this week yet. Had 30cm on the ground in Dec 2010:cool:

Aye thats true - could get plastered here this week yet. Had 30cm on the ground in Dec 2010:cool:

Had 31cm here :p

Yeah you're in a decent position for this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

30 cm isn't that much for high ground. We had 27/28 cm (11 inches) at 73 m in 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Matthew Hugo ‏@MattHugo81
    Impossible to summarise on twitter but the EC ENS from the 12z run are distinctly cold and blocked. The Atlantic could struggle to 'get in'

30 cm isn't that much for high ground. We had 27/28 cm (11 inches) at 73 m in 2010.

30cm is a lot for any ground in this country! Even 3cm is a lot compared to the usual 0cm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Matthew Hugo ‏@MattHugo81
    Impossible to summarise on twitter but the EC ENS from the 12z run are distinctly cold and blocked. The Atlantic could struggle to 'get in'

It will probably get stuck from the Irish Sea west and remain stationary! Is there any realistic possibility of colder air being shunted further west?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

It will probably get stuck from the Irish Sea west and remain stationary!
    As it always does:(

12Z ECM mean for day 10 (with more than double the number of ensemble members than the GFS) :

EDM0-240.GIF?14-0

12Z GFS mean for day 10 :

gens-21-0-240.png?12

Blessington is quiet a sheltered spot( surrounded by higher hills) so 30cm ain't bad at all. We are also well inland from the Irish sea streamers.

Rougies wrote: »
    30cm is a lot for any ground in this country! Even 3cm is a lot compared to the usual 0cm :P

On average, yeah, but by 2010's standards, I would've expected 40 - 45 cm at higher levels. I remember hearing about a foot-and-a-half of snow down in Wicklow. Not that I was jealous, getting crates beer from point A to point B with those icy roads was a nuisance - we had to walk to the shops most of the time.

Hopefully the Government will be more prepared if 2013 strikes white gold.

Blessington is quiet a sheltered spot( surrounded by higher hills) so 30cm ain't bad at all. We are also well inland from the Irish sea streamers.

Yeah, I see it's on the west side of the mountains, the east side took the brunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Does the GEM take a long time to release the runs? It's been stuck at +144 for nearly an hour now :confused:

• Advertisement

Yeah, I see it's on the west side of the mountains, the east side took the brunt.

Exactly, the windward slopes get more due to orographic lift. And 223m isn't all that high anyway, but it certainly helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement