Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

i'm wishing anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Not much of an upgrade but certainly better than a downgrade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Lookin fairly wet and windy on this run eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Yep, it's more rare in the south/west alright. The east gets a lot of snow from showers due to the Irish Sea. But if you're looking for a major snow event then the south is well suited to that as long as the air is cold enough and the jetstream is forcing lows to pass south of Ireland, the precipitation on the north of the lows spreads into the south and falls as frontal snow instead of rain. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does its very significant.

hmm, i remember either in 2010 or 2011, we had terrible snow in Cork, but it was only a few days later when it snowed in Dublin that the news decided to cover it and how it affected transport there :rolleyes: friends in kerry couldn't even leave they're houses for those 2 christmases /rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

There has been a subtle trend to raise heights over Scandinavia and across in Greenland. Very slight with each run (not just the GFS btw) but it's certainly one to watch if we want another shot at proper cold towards the end of January.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

18Z is an upgrade. The east could get a lot of snow there Friday/Saturday.

Front seems to stall for about 24 hours and looks like conditions would be on the right side for the east/north east. Just how it looks there, could well downgrade completely by then of course. Would probably be followed by rain so would be messy I'd say.

Maq, would it take much for it to turn back in our favour? I've noticed a few people say that there have been subtle changes on the past couple of GFS runs, what should we be looking for?

Maq, would it take much for it to turn back in our favour? I've noticed a few people say that there have been subtle changes on the past couple of GFS runs, what should we be looking for?

Things to look out for would be : stronger Scandi high, weaker Atlantic low, jet directing more energy southeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

2 feb 1947:
    Rrea00119470202.gif

120 hours on the UKMO:
    Rukm1201.gif

18Z goes a bit mad in FI.

gfs-1-216.png?18
    gfs-0-216.png?18
    gfs-2-204.png?18

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

fax120s.gif

very interesting :D the Atlantic making no inroads on this chart!
    if I said this chart had a 1917/1947 look to it would be a ridiculous ramp so I'm not going to say this chart has a 1917/1947 look to it!

• Advertisement

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    120 hours on the UKMO:
    Rukm1201.gif

fax120s.gif

Looks like they didn't modify much for the FAX? (At first glance anyway)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

2 nights in a row showing something similar?!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Just got a feelin about this one. Charts are definitely becoming more and more 1947 esque. Its not a definite, but bit by bit its becoming more possible.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I normally am all for lots and lots of snow, as are most of Ye. However, I'm getting married in Naas on Friday so need clear blue skies for the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Hmmm. One (or many) of these loose in the mainframe???

gremlin-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winterstale

1982 sets the bar for me. We are due a big one. It will happen, it's just a case of when.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Looks like they didn't modify much for the FAX? (At first glance anyway)

Exactly the same pretty much. Here's an overlay.
    Maybe they're exhausted too ;)

XXDd2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

antodeco wrote: »
    I normally am all for lots and lots of snow, as are most of Ye. However, I'm getting married in Naas on Friday so need clear blue skies for the day!

Would a good old snowball fight not be a great way to start married life?

The big difference between that 1947 chart and the UKMO chart is back in 47 it was very very cold, much colder than now, in the days leading up to that.

archives-1947-1-30-12-1.png

Very different conditions now, the air not being as cold, it would be more of a rain/snow event.

The big difference between that 1947 chart and the UKMO chart is back in 47 it was very very cold, much colder than now, in the days leading up to that.

archives-1947-1-30-12-1.png

Very different conditions now, the air not being as cold, it would be more of a rain/snow event.

That was impressive cold..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Rougies wrote: »
    Exactly, the windward slopes get more due to orographic lift. And 223m isn't all that high anyway, but it certainly helps.
    100m would be considered mountainous around here :(

The department of Agriculture classify where I live as being mountainous type grazing land, it rises to just under 330 metres.
    Met Eireann last year confirmed that when they speak of high ground, they are talking about land over 200 metres asl.

The fact is most people live on low lying ground in Ireland, a minority live on the high ground - great for lovely scenery, avoiding flooding and if you like the snow and cold in winter.

That was impressive cold..

1987 wasn't too shabby either. -20 air almost made it to UK.

archives-1987-1-12-0-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

So is it game over this week anyways for snow in the east coast

1987 wasn't too shabby either. -20 air almost made it to UK.

archives-1987-1-12-0-1.png

I remember 87..started snowing on a Sunday afternoon..

So is it game over this week anyways for snow in the east coast

No, there is a risk of snow Friday/Saturday in the east/northeast. Too early to know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I remember it too. School was out for the week, and built several igloos against the front of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

TAF
    TAF EIDW 142300Z 1500/1524 28010KT 9999 FEW020 PROB30 1506/1509 2000 BR SCT002 BECMG 1512/1514 VRB03KT BECMG 1520/1522 13007KT PROB30 TEMPO 1523/1524 5000 -RASN BKN014=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The energy is going out of things here. I think we're resigned to the idea that this won't be a big one in any way. Thats the impression I get from a 10 minute read anyway. Onwards and coldwards eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Was watching Liverpool v Luton in the FA Cup 3rd round that sunday. Snowed before hand and melted. Same at half time. Then looked out the window at full time and...... HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS.....

Best cold spell I ever remember. It seemed colder than 2010 though I think it wasn't. The easterly windchill made it feel siberian whilst in 2010 it never felt as cold as the car told you it was (if you know what I mean)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

mayfly757 wrote: »
    TAF
    TAF EIDW 142300Z 1500/1524 28010KT 9999 FEW020 PROB30 1506/1509 2000 BR SCT002 BECMG 1512/1514 VRB03KT BECMG 1520/1522 13007KT PROB30 TEMPO 1523/1524 5000 -RASN BKN014=

Welcome back Su?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement