Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Things changing on every run, but just taking the 06Z GFS as it is.

Showing a 952mb low to our northwest on Sunday. Winds gusting 30-40kts. Uppers cold enough to support the precipitation falling as snow, sleet & freezing rain.

13012006_2_1506.gif

13012006_2_1506.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Are the bits over cork rain Maq?

Are the bits over cork rain Maq?

The grey symbol is just cloudcover.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Whats the origin of that Sunday Low? Wouldn't those uppers be very unlikely for an atlantic low? Is is that the polar front will have sunk well south by then?

The grey symbol is just cloudcover.

Oh right - just wondering as the uppers were -5! anyway not expecting any cold down here unless there is a big move of the cold air west.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Whats the origin of that Sunday Low? Wouldn't those uppers be very unlikely for an atlantic low? Is is that the polar front will have sunk well south by then?

It's part of the remains of the polar vortex, not a typical Atlantic low. Cold air taking a long voyage from Canada.

gfs-1-120.png?6

gfsnh-0-120.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

been reading loads of the comments on sky website. Apparently the amounts of snow are totally exaggerated in the UK. There are even people in the east / north east area saying that most of it has been melting away within hours of falling. Mate of mine in London said there is next to nothing over there. Sky complete exaggerating snowfall amount as usual. At least BBC dont really see it as news

I know we only got one snow shower but the exaggerations of snow in UK are unreal

It's part of the remains of the polar vortex, not a typical Atlantic low. Cold air taking a long voyage from Canada.

Now that's the type of thing that's very encouraging, movement towards the setup you were showing charts for yesterday Maq where the cold sources begin to join up and establish. A great trend, opening the door for much more serious potential along the lines of the various winter forecasts for late Jan/early Feb. Even an old pessimist like me would sit up and take more notice now

A question for D.E. maybe. When was the last time we got 520 dam air from a westerly?

06_120_ukthickness.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Must not look
    Must not look

Looked... Blast :D

Nice dusting of snow on croghan mtn 6 miles inland from Arklow this morning.
    I also have a beautiful view of lugnaquilla from the yard here and its absolutely plastered in snow.

• Advertisement

A question for D.E. maybe. When was the last time we got 520 dam air from a westerly?

06_120_ukthickness.png

What is the required dam line again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

528 I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

528DAM and below for an increasing chance of seeing snowfall, preferable values of 522 and below.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/2237-guide-todam-lines/

528 is usually seen as a guideline.

sub 528.
    522 would be perfect
    That's 520.
    That's unreal ...it won't happen like that,but then sub -10c daytime surface temps in November 2010 we thought were impossible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I'd be amazed if the dam line remained that low by the time it reaches the west coast.

I'd be amazed if the dam line remained that low by the time it reaches the west coast.

It's all down to how the GFS exactly handles the polar vortex lobe. At 120 hours out its unlikely to verify. Interesting charts to see though.

gfs-3-120.png?6

It's all down to how the GFS exactly handles the polar vortex lobe. At 120 hours out its unlikely to verify. Interesting charts to see though.

gfs-3-120.png?6
    I see john hammond has a good piece on model flux due to strat warming on the BBC site.
    I guess its official now,its the cause as we all have been reading of the displaced vortices and the south south east jet.

How long for is the question and is an eventual outbreak of polar outbreak here inevitable?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/20998895

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

whitebriar wrote: »
    Must not look
    Must not look

Looked... Blast :D

Nice dusting of snow on croghan mtn 6 miles inland from Arklow this morning.
    I also have a beautiful view of lugnaquilla from the yard here and its absolutely plastered in snow.

Some pics plz. It's not that I don't believe u coz I do. But it would be nice to see some pics to give us all a nice boost in confidence that we might get some snow our selfs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Bizarrely those mental GFS charts above showing sub 528 DAM lines well into Ireland on Sunday from the west, would suggest, the slightest possibility that it will not be the UK, but in fact Ireland that will get the monster snowstorm. Can they be believed?

• Advertisement

Some pics plz. It's not that I don't believe u coz I do. But it would be nice to see some pics to give us all a nice boost in confidence that we might get some snow our selfs
    sadly my phone camera is not good enough to picture Lug.
    Its visible through binoculars with what looks like a few inches up there.

Do ya know what my answer to the question in my last post is? :D

Frankly do ya know,I'd be surprised if we all didn't see something eventually in the next couple of weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

whitebriar wrote: »
    sadly my phone camera is not good enough to picture Lug.

I actually got snow warnings on my phone, a few days ago, sadly, the very next update it had none and has none for the coming week / 11 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TeaCup2

Looking out my window at 6 this morning I thought I saw a few cm of snow, sadly it was just a really thick frost covering everything, I live in hope though :)

gbee wrote: »
    I actually got snow warnings on my phone, a few days ago, sadly, the very next update it had none and has none for the coming week / 11 days.

From which model generated no human input US service would that be? Given the uncertainty from the European national weather services and that FI is now about 144hrs you might as well use a dart board with all potential outcomes to give you the 11 day outlook

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

Lugnquilla always has snow on it even in late Spring. It is over 900 metres high (3, 039 feet) and is the most snowcapped mountain in Ireland by far. First of all it is in the East so in the colder part of the country and secondly it is one of the highest elevations in Ireland.:):):):)

MetÉ have updated the wording of the Sunday outlook to reflect a more snowy outcome, and from the setup it could be a dumping if the margins are right, at least for Leinster and Ulster.

Could be an interesting flight back, or no flight at all, from Bristol to Dublin at 2200 Sunday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

snow2_zps81e2e8f9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    Lugnquilla always has snow on it even in late Spring. It is over 900 metres high (3, 039 feet) and is the most snowcapped mountain in Ireland by far. First of all it is in the East so in the colder part of the country and secondly it is one of the highest elevations in Ireland.:):):):)

What about slieve donard in Down?

It's nearly as high as lugnaquilla but is further north and east.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Is that a pic of Maquiladora :D :P ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 magoko101

What about slieve donard in Down?

Interested in SD myself... due to climb it next weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement