Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    Lugnquilla always has snow on it even in late Spring. It is over 900 metres high (3, 039 feet) and is the most snowcapped mountain in Ireland by far. First of all it is in the East so in the colder part of the country and secondly it is one of the highest elevations in Ireland.:):):):)

I live just down the road around 215mtrs asl i have
    Often seen snow on lug in early may ,there is a lovely dusting on it today though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

magoko101 wrote: »
    Interested in SD myself... due to climb it next weekend.

Be very careful, given the weather. I have family close by who have climbed it several times and they tell me it can be very dangerous when the weather is changeable or unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Is that a pic of Maquiladora :D :P ;)

Nah, it's not me, I stopped staying up to see the 0Z models a while ago now. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Looking at the BBC forecast at the end of the 1pm news, they talked about "very significant snowfall" and they had the snow for Ireland above the line from about the Mayo/Galway border down to Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

So in advance of the afternoon models what should we be hoping for an all island snow event?

A push further south of the advancing frontal system which allows the colder air to encroach from the East?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

So in advance of the afternoon models what should we be hoping for an all island snow event?

A push further south of the advancing frontal system which allows the colder air to encroach from the East?

A total flip flop giving a 1947 setup at T+6 would be nice

Its not much to ask for like :pac:

Min wrote: »
    Looking at the BBC forecast at the end of the 1pm news, they talked about "very significant snowfall" and they had the snow for Ireland above the line from about the Mayo/Galway border down to Wexford

Just another 150 miles further south please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Min wrote: »

Doesn't surprise me as they use UKMO data in making their forecasts. Anyways, if anybody is going to get snow out of this its probably you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Seen the BBC forecast myself and it did show a substantial area of Snow over N + E Leinster, E Connaught and much of Ulster!

If it gets pushed back out West , areas futher South could get in on the snow action too!

All of this is as usual subject to huge caution!

pad199207 wrote: »
    Seen the BBC forecast myself and it did show a substantial area of Snow over N + E Leinster, E Connaught and much of Ulster!

If it gets pushed back out West , areas futher South could get in on the snow action too!

Would being pushed South not be better rather than West?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I've come to the conclusion that all of this is like waiting for Manchester United to score a goal, it will eventually happen.

I just hope its not the nil-nil draw that happens every now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

patneve2 wrote: »
    Doesn't surprise me as they use UKMO data in making their forecasts. Anyways, if anybody is going to get snow out of this its probably you :D

lol, we will see, hope not but you could be right, but maybe it will be the you will probably get snow and then it is a phew, the reverse happens and its just rain...phew :pac:

Though sometimes, it does start raining from the west and it turns into snow, you see the higher elevations turning white and before you know it, it is sticking here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

When is this particular snow episode forecast to hit Ireland assuming it does?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Met Office UK has E+N Leinster and Ulster under a warning for Friday Jan 18th

https://twitter.com/SnowReady/status/291180630941761536/photo/1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Met Office UK has E+N Leinster and Ulster under a warning for Friday Jan 18th

https://twitter.com/SnowReady/status/291180630941761536/photo/1

BANK! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Thar twitter map of the UK Met yellow warning doesnt seem to be on the Met Office site. Think Snow ready.uk are a company selling cold weather related products. Seems a bit bogus. I could nt find it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

A 1947 event would be epic, but i'v heard too many horror stories about flooding after the rapid thaw and severe rains with it. Be careful what you wish for.

There is another thread especially for this type of post.

For the millionth time, this thread WANTS snow.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Used to love snow but really cant be arsed any more if we get it or not.

runs for cover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

justy182 wrote: »
    Thar twitter map of the UK Met yellow warning doesnt seem to be on the Met Office site. Think Snow ready.uk are a company selling cold weather related products. Seems a bit bogus. I could nt find it anyway
    Here ya go
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

My bad. Found it now

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Before the next runs could anybody give me an update on what is happening, have tuned out for a while.

1. Are we still looking for a weak easterly to bring snow/sleet/slush tonight?

2. How does Sundays event look like at the moment?

3. What happens if the remnant of the polar vortex from Canada tracks over the Atlantic and joins up with the Easterly?? Epic snow or rain? Has this ever happened before?

I might have to take a seat again on the roller coaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

TeaCup2 wrote: »
    Looking out my window at 6 this morning I thought I saw a few cm of snow, sadly it was just a really thick frost covering everything, I live in hope though :)

I woke up at 4:30am and thought why would I wake up at that time...walked over to the window and opened the curtains...

I wish I was like this:

happy-cuteness-overload-guy-meme.png

But I was like this:

why-just-why.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Looking ahead - that low east of Newfoundland might be worth watching?
    It seems to be taking a more southerly track and if it deepens as it passes to the south we might hit the jackpot early next week. As usual a big IF.:rolleyes:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack2a.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Spindle wrote: »
    Before the next runs could anybody give me an update on what is happening, have tuned out for a while.

1. Are we still looking for a weak easterly to bring snow/sleet/slush tonight?

2. How does Sundays event look like at the moment?

3. What happens if the remnant of the polar vortex from Canada tracks over the Atlantic and joins up with the Easterly?? Epic snow or rain? Has this ever happened before?

I might have to take a seat again on the roller coaster.

1. Not widely, most potential above 200/250m East and North

2. Marginal, current outlook sees an easterly pick up north of the front giving potential for fairly significant snowfall, most likely in Ulster and Leinster but this could be more widespread or could just as easily be rain. Geographical distance and upper level components will need to be ideal but there is some convergence on this now

3. Greater knowledge than mine needed for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Great forecast from BBC, watching friday closely as the front coming in from west could cause significant snow in NI, bring it on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pangea wrote: »
    Great forecast from BBC, watching friday closely as the front coming in from west could cause significant snow in NI, bring it on! :D

None for you so Pangea, a strictly six counties event ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

None for you so Pangea, a strictly six counties event

Tiocaigh Ar Sneacta! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Really looks like tomorrow evening Thursday the mild air is going to make it right across the country.

Latest NAE is a big shift east :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement