Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Words like epic and inevitable from MT !! - I think I wee'd myself just a little when I read that update. But I've been here before so will keep my head for just a little longer (not easy though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

ECM @144hrs borderline blizzard though uppers are wrong side of marginal FOR NOW!!

Expect confused Met Eireann forecasts tonight with undertones of disruptive snowfall being a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I would rate the chances of significant snow and cold before mid-February at about 80 to 90 per cent

XiVWz.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

No to snow.

BANNED FOR TROLLING

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ECM @144hrs borderline blizzard though uppers are wrong side of marginal FOR NOW!!

Expect confused Met Eireann forecasts tonight with undertones of disruptive snowfall being a possibility

Is saturday/sunday a possibility or more next week? seems like the Atlantic is heading south..

• Advertisement

At 168hrs we are well into FI and surrounded by cold
    Positives a plenty tonight.
    I still have one gripe though and that's heights remain fragile to the North!

Is saturday/sunday a possibility or more next week? seems like the Atlantic is heading south..

It all depends on how much the low will undercut and how quickly
    It's an ever changing situation but Sunday is on my radar from a Cork pov:D

Small steps lead to big upgrades

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Ok im really confused I dont know a thing about charts but iv bein here keeping a eye for updates and yesterday it seemed southern eastern ireland was not getting the bad cold but today it seems this place has gone into meltdown !!! What has changed and if it changed so quickly im sure it could dissappear easily too??? And What are the chances of snow this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

All aboard the low train. 4 for the price of 1.

ECM1-192.GIF?15-0

Even out to 192hrs the undercutting continues.
    The trend has been established tonight, all we need is the slightest of upgrades on the 00's and we are looking at large snowfalls.

Note: We are not there yet though and a mix of rain / wet snow could also happen!

• Advertisement

Even out to 192hrs the undercutting continues.
    The trend has been established tonight, all we need is the slightest of upgrades on the 00's and we are looking at large snowfalls.

Note: We are not there yet though and a mix of rain / wet snow could also happen!

At least there is potential..i remain sceptical of any attack from the west especially down south but we'll wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

691px-Metoffice_3_feb_47.jpg

ECM

ECM1-192.GIF?15-0

Interesting!

Last one for me on the 12's

The ECM is exactly what GP had predicted a few days ago i.e. low pressure becoming more and more dominant over Europe.
    Follow his updates with great interest over on N-W

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Heres Gerry !!!!!

Calls tonight a bust , possibly some sleet on higher ground

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

At least there is potential..i remain sceptical of any attack from the west especially down south but we'll wait and see.

Yes but if you take the ecm 12z at its word you and me may be in the right place afterall. I know uppers are high but thickness is perfect and the low is much further south now. in fact id be concerned it might miss us all to the south yet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Heres Gerry !!!!!
    Gerry. Dont like him telling the forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mr Mild Murphy is going for rain Friday, perhaps Sleet :D

Game on! :P

I think someone said last night you're better off waiting for the forecast after the 9pm news..takes into account the 12z model output. Did Gerry mention the 's' word?

Gerry's forecast was interesting tonight (interesting in how out of date it was)
    Modelled on this mornings runs no doubt
    I hate slagging off our own Met but I have to say, Better please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think someone said last night you're better off waiting for the forecast after the 9pm news..takes into account the 12z model output. Did Gerry mention the 's' word?

Yes....sleet :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Had bbc ni forecast and rte forecast on side by side.
    Gerry no word of any snow for friday

BBC forecast
    xVPSal.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yes he mentioned snow . . . but quickly followed by 'likely only on mountains' . . . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

hotwhiskey wrote: »

691px-Metoffice_3_feb_47.jpg

ECM

ECM1-192.GIF?15-0

Interesting!

The difference is 1947 was very cold. Just not getting cold enough air at the moment to take advantage of those southerly dropping lows. I think that would be mostly rain here if that came off.

leahyl wrote: »
    Yes....sleet :-D

Oh well its a start of the upgrades...a lot of uncertainty at this range so no point creating any frenzy unless this is showing within T48.

Barely :) he mentioned sleet really.

Pangea wrote: »
    Had bbc ni forecast and rte forecast on side by side.
    Gerry no word of any snow for friday

BBC forecast
    xVPSal.jpg

I know who I'd sooner have on board too!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The difference is 1947 was very cold. Just not getting cold enough air at the moment to take advantage of those southerly dropping lows. I think that would be mostly rain here if that came off.

We are going to be getting a cold feed off the UK.

I wouldn't be too concerned about 850hpa temps, i think we can get snow at even -2c at this level if we get the right precip intensity and feed coming off a subzero UK.

- but yes ECM 120hrs would prob be cold rain if that exact chart materialised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

What are the chances for snow in the midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

We are going to be getting a cold feed off the UK.

I wouldn't be too concerned about 850hpa temps, i think we can get snow at even -2c at this level if we get the right precip intensity and feed coming off a subzero UK.

- but yes ECM 120hrs would prob be cold rain if that exact chart materialised.

Agree. it will start as rain no doubt but then it could get very interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Ok whats the precentage of some snowfall in south east as it stands???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement