Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Good sign for Sunday ME are saying rain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

not even a bloody frost overnight d14 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Went to bed and the car was under a good frost here in Swords.
    Woke up, looked out the window and nothing... No frost, it was completley gone not even a hint of anything frosty.... Boo Hoo Hoo

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Carol Kirkwood just gave the 7.20am weather forecast on the BBC.

They have major concerns for Britain come Friday. It is shown under a blanket of white that day as an Atlantic front hits.

Oh, don't worry about Ireland, we are shown as under a sea of blue (rain) as the precipitation only turns to snow as it hits Britain. You could not write it. :mad:

D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

derekon wrote: »
    Oh, don't worry about Ireland, we are shown as under a sea of blue (rain) as the precipitation only turns to snow as it hits Britain.

If the latest GFS run was to verify, it would start as rain here, on Friday, but the front tilts and turns increasingly to snow on Saturday over Ireland...

...If

• Advertisement

I'm very surprised the word potential isn't in the ME forecast... the way the models are chopping and changing and the difference a 100 miles could make surely every outcome is on the table ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

painful short term 0z, looks like some parts of Wales and western UK going to get deep deep snow.

We are well in rain territory, a case of 50/80 miles too far west. :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

painful short term 0z, looks like some parts of Wales and western UK going to get deep deep snow.

We are well in rain territory, a case of 50/80 miles too far west. :(

From what I can see, that's just in the short term/initially - starts as rain but gets better after that.

just to highlight we still pull back the cold Sat with rain turning to snow in places.

right now thurs and much of fri are likely to be less cool.

current models prog near foot of snow for Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Yea surprised there is no mention of the possibility of sleet/snow overnight friday and into saturday as that is clearly shown on the models today...

Dan :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Well in all seriousness if Met E screw up and Ireland gets plastered in snow without forewarning their will be alot of extremely unhappy bunnies out there. If we are near an epic event Met E don't want to do a Michael Fish!

Well in all seriousness if Met E screw up and Ireland gets plastered in snow without forewarning their will be alot of extremely unhappy bunnies out there. If we are near an epic event Met E don't want to do a Michael Fish!

Honestly, I would expect that forecast to change (again) later this morning.

The Eagle on radio at 7.55 : Rain! :eek: WTF

13012106_1600.gif
    Dew points could be a problem on Sunday as the precip crosses over the country..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

DOCARCH wrote: »

That's why I couldn't listen to it , I knew that was coming ! :(

But il tell ye something , be Jesus if I don't see snow this weekend , I'll do everything in my power to stop that snow from reaching uk ! :D

If it is Rain so be it but it better be the last for a few weeks because we cant be sitting on the marginal all the way through these models!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Having looked at everything I think MetE are right, snow is most unlikely from that precip in the conditions at least before Sunday. Its not just marginal, Ireland IS the bloody margin

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Having looked at everything I think MetE are right, snow is most unlikely from that precip in the conditions at least before Sunday. Its not just marginal, Ireland IS the bloody margin

Its really cutting it thin at the moment so best not get to hyped until we get to Friday. But if Met E screw this up it will be an ostrich sized egg stuck to their faces!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Its really cutting it thin at the moment so best not get to hyped until we get to Friday. But if Met E screw this up it will be an ostrich sized egg stuck to their faces!

They can only go by what the models say now though, I don't envy them at the moment, horrible time to be forecasting

t|nt|n wrote: »
    They can only go by what the models say now though, I don't envy them at the moment, horrible time to be forecasting

Thats were good forecasting skill should come in :o lets see ho good they are :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Went out 5 days and not even a mention of sleet, that Gerry Murphy must have been ramping the "Sleet" last night :pac:

t|nt|n wrote: »

They are probably right...based on current models...but I would rather they do a bit of hopecasting too! :D

I'd really like some snow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

They are probably right...based on current models...but I would rather they do a bit of hopecasting too! :D

Uppers of -6C to -8C look good for snow on saturday to me? *on GFS* As long as other factors play ball.

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

It's coming ! I expect some big changes coming the next few days. The event hasn't even shown up yet !

the latest ECM gives me reason to believe the chance a snow event Friday/Sat is still a very live prospect. Lots of disagreement with exact orientation of frontal approach, ~40% of EPS members would give snow to some areas of north Leinster and north/eastern NI

- probably more than 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

This is a ramping thread so I must remain positive! As MT said we need a shift south by over a 100 miles for this weekend. Friday looks a write off unless major changes starting from today. I am slightly worried that MT believes next week won't bring much potential for snow given there isn't a bigger push west of the colder air..

This is a ramping thread so I must remain positive! As MT said we need a shift south by over a 100 miles for this weekend. Friday looks a write off unless major changes starting from today. I am slightly worried that MT believes next week won't bring much potential for snow given there isn't a bigger push west of the colder air..

I would not totally write off Friday yet.

Can still see fair chance of rain turning to heavy snow in some parts.

Let us compare the ECM OP at T72hrs to the overall ECM EPS MEAN

We can see the mean is much better with the orientation of the T850 -5c line.

Recm722.gif

Reem722.gif

Hopefully all this marginal talk will be out the window if we can get some of that cold over Russia over us in another two weeks or so. Then all our concerns hoping snow will be outweighed with praying for Spring ;)

ech0240.png

• Advertisement

The ECM EPS mean T850 temperature for Dublin stays pretty much below -5c from T72hrs to T216hrs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement