Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Because we have been here 20 times and then everything gets downgraded to rain.

Am I missing something, the models are showing cold air moving in from the Atlantic (I know it will have been traveling over warm seas). There is a cold pool to our east, surely with all this cold around somewhere there will have to be something fall as snow.

Or perhaps this is the rain ramping thread now ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

surely that's quite unusual? Have you ever seen anything like it before?

nice to see the jet so far south :)

FSXX00T_72.jpg

520 dam air is rare enough in Ireland, to get that from the west, I've never seen that on the models before, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Did any of that precipitation fall as snow last night up your way Arctictree?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Spindle wrote: »
    Am I missing something, the models are showing cold air moving in from the Atlantic (I know it will have been traveling over warm seas). There is a cold pool to our east, surely with all this cold around somewhere there will have to be something fall as snow.

Hopefully but I can't take all these downgrades :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We seem to be 50 miles to far west every bloody time...
    Could be worse, there was a post the other day that had me missing out by 10m altitude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

FI not looking so good this morning with that high to our north sinking, hard to maintain a sustained cold spell.

But when was the last time a chart at 168 hours has been right recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Did any of that precipitation fall as snow last night up your way Arctictree?

Nope, was circa 2.5c when any of the precipitation arrived. Worst type of weather, cold, dark drizzle....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

arctictree wrote: »
    Nope, was circa 2.5c when any of the precipitation arrived. Worst type of weather, cold, dark drizzle....

Yeah..the cold rain soon gets boring. Hopefully you will get some over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The cold is trying to march in from Russia in FI here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

t|nt|n wrote: »
    The cold is trying to march in from Russia in FI here

Eastern Promises! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Muck :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

It's raining here in Drogheda at the min and cold. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

why so?! is russian air stopped in its tracks?

A wet 24 hours :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It should be snowing now, around Laragh, Wicklow Mts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Yeah fi is pure muck... but no worries been fi and the 6z don't think anyone will be taking it as gospel ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

200motels wrote: »
    I don't think we're going to get any snow down here, as said above it's being pushed out all the time, it will go on and on and at this rate we'll be talking about snow in May. MT said that in December we'll get a cold blast late December or early January now it's late January early February, next it will be late February or early March, I know it's very hard to predict and MT is one of the best at it but he's wrong more than he's right.

In fairness MT has been saying since October that the cold would come v late Jan and predominantly in Feb. That still looks very viable. I think your post misrepresents his forecast tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Spindle wrote: »

Because we'll get stuck in a mild pool of air in the middle of it all! Seriously, half the GFS runs last night were showing an Azores high trying to build up over the country. It would sicken you.

Anyway, if Met E says rain then I believe them folks. They're the professionals. And while they do sometimes get it wrong, they usually get it right, especially in situations like this.

As much as I love snow too, this places sometimes feels like a ramping board, as opposed to a thread, and people's forecasts of snow are usually wildly optimistic and based on ridiculously implausible situations that simply won't come to pass based on simple weather facts.

Anyway, we live in hope. But if half of Europe is in the freezer and we're still stuck with mild muck, I don't think it bodes well.

By the law of averages, the longer Europe remains in blow average temperatures that fail to reach here than the more likely it is that we'll miss out on this cold spell. Europe is going to start warming up eventually (to more seasonal temps).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I've run out of ramp. Cold rain falling here in Dublin again, mid January. Still nothing tangible on the horizon. We are in deep winter. But we are in the latter half of deep winter, and not a flake has fallen. 2 major potential events have now dissolved in our hands. A week ago the ECM was showing a deep sourced easterly rampaging across Ireland for this very day, there is nothing of the like showing for 7 days from now. Mid December was the same story. It's borderline all the way, possibly one more chance after a model reboot, and I'd say that's our lot then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The yellow warning is now gone from Met uk for NI snow event on Friday.

Qhp1x.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Some positivity peeps. My website in Kildare runs a program called WXSIM which generates a forecast based on the latest GFS but also takes into account my location, altitude and past weather.
    It only goes to 5-days but i find it very accurate at that time-scale. For the first time in this model hopping episode its showing snow accumulations of 4-6cm for Sunday. Obviously the only flaw is that its based on the GFS but as i pointed out its the first time it has indicated this.

Happy days..
    Kildareweather 5-day forecast
    http://www.kildareweather.com/wxforecast.php?PHPSESSID=68d4df439134871749204dbb897858f2

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Pangea wrote: »
    The yellow warning is now gone from Met uk for NI snow event on Friday.

Qhp1x.gif

To make matters more depressing, a snow warning is now in place for Crete.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

To make matters more depressing, a snow warning is now in place for Crete.

I think I'm going to be sick!! is it bad that now I want the 12z to show a huge downgrade so the UK gets nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SnowDancer

This rollercoaster has more lows than highs. Thinking of getting off. It's starting to me me feel ill. Not sure I can take much more :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

All i can say is that Gerry M must of wrote that latest forecast on Met.ie!

...... 236527.png

Not looking good for snow this winter is it.

I feel that this roller coaster is not worthy of anymore invested time from me.

For that reason.........

Im out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Ah here, leave it out Goggle. Teasing baxtards!
    http://www.google.ie/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement