Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Mt says rain now for weekend and he's stopped talking about the really cold snowy February now too :(
    SUNDAY ... A major storm system is still indicated on several models (one delays the arrival until late Sunday into Monday) and the details are uncertain, but the most likely outcome would be heavy rainfalls and strong east winds with temperatures in the 3-6 C range, also with heavy snow on higher summits. It would not take much to change this outlook to mixed precipitation at low elevations or even all snow in some northern or central districts. The track of the low is close to the south coast on a trajectory from WNW to ESE, which would only need to shift 100 miles south to bring in enough cold air for a snowstorm. By Sunday night this may change to sleet with snow accumulating on higher terrain in strong NE winds 50-80 km/hr. There is perhaps a 20-30 per cent chance of this storm developing into a blizzard because on the track indicated and with sharp pressure falls, if air flowing in from snow-covered Britain is very cold, this could drop the temperatures over the Irish Sea to about +2 C which might change the event from the rain side of marginal to the snow side, and once snow begins further cooling takes place. We are in a "major storm watch" situation with this event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I think that a problem with weather forums is that everybody interprets weather forecasts and weather charts differently. Some see mild and some see cold. I am very optimistic for the next few weeks, and I am close to certain that eventually we will see accumulating snow by the end of the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

gabeeg wrote: »
    With regards to that vid, the coldest temps they got in LA was about 12c I believe.

I Suppose it would be like people in Siberia laughing at our cold snaps :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

gabeeg wrote: »
    With regards to that vid, the coldest temps they got in LA was about 12c I believe.

Well night-time temps got down very close to freezing. Day-time temps never got much lower than around 12c though.

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USCA0638

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

What does he mean by snow covered Britain??? Only the Eastern part has anything:D:D Just looking at the horse racing..none in Newbury, Woverhampton?? So where is this snow?? I know there is some in Essex and Yorkshire but precious little elsewhere??:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    What does he mean by snow covered Britain??? Only the Eastern part has anything:D:D Just looking at the horse racing..none in Newbury, Woverhampton?? So where is this snow?? I know there is some in Essex and Yorkshire but precious little elsewhere??:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Snow covered by Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

fontenoy7 wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82717932&postcount=4368
    Look at the precip chart for Friday. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

patneve2 wrote: »
    I think that a problem with weather forums is that everybody interprets weather forecasts and weather charts differently. Some see mild and some see cold. I am very optimistic for the next few weeks, and I am close to certain that eventually we will see accumulating snow by the end of the winter.

There's some excellent forecasters on here.

Personally, I believe almost everyone sees things pretty similarly. You can't see both mild and cold from the same weather statistics!

The difference is that some people choose to ramp and exaggerate far more than others.

Some people will see -4 uppers, a dew point of 1c, and a 528 dam line and think: mmh, 5% chance of snow there, max. No need to get too excited.

Others will see these same statistics and think: 5% chance of snow!!! Let's start a new thread warning people of the potential for blizzards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

For those who havent suffered enough click this to twist the knife

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2013/heavy_snow_warning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I feel the cold weather curse has been descending on this forum over the last couple of days. A lot of frankly idiotic posts. In other news only 18 minutes till the 12z! Buckle up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

12z NAE shifts slightly west. Good news. Now progs some snow from the initial push in eastern NI.

Lets hope for some more shifts west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Pangea wrote: »
    For those who havent suffered enough click this to twist the knife

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2013/heavy_snow_warning

2-5cms of snow is hardly a big deal which is what this indicates. Scotland way more but that is normal. expected way more to be honest. The snow in uk to date has been so overhyped by media, very few area with decent snow at all. Most melted almost straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Upgrade for the NE anyway on Fri on the NAE. Good to see. Bodes well for Saturday I would say.

13011806_1612.gif

Hirlam also shows also turning to snow on Friday in the Northeast.

http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,418

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

2-5cms of snow is hardly a big deal which is what this indicates. Scotland way more but that is normal. expected way more to be honest. The snow in uk to date has been so overhyped by media, very few area with decent snow at all. Most melted almost straight away

?? 10-20cm over much of Wales/central UK/The NW and Scotland... 2-5cm at the periphery...

So hard to look at but I am confident of the rain turning back to snow in the East/North of Ireland by Saturday morning. :)

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

13011812_1612.gif
    Hate saying this but
    Temps and dew points still way to high

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

13011812_1612.gif
    Hate saying this but
    Temps and dew points still way to high

Thats only Friday morning though

Edit: 2000 posts !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Thats only Friday morning though

Edit: 2000 posts !
    Was still in hope something would come of friday
    Sorry you had to waste you're post on me . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Imagine what Wicklow mountains might get from this!! Sally gap could be interesting :-)

12z GFS rolling out, eyes down lads....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Imagine what Wicklow mountains might get from this!! Sally gap could be interesting :-)

Really? So going there on Saturday! Really want to slide down some hills :P

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

I think the reason the Met Eireann outlook for the weekend doeen't mention any risk of snow is due to their models not showing as much potential as the GFS does. Models are changing a bit in the short term on every run and when its marginal those changes make all the difference. So its quite possible that the GFS is wrong and will downgrade chances further, but until that happens there is still a chance at least is it right.

Beyond a few days, every model has been all over the place recently, so thats impossible to call.

Met Eireann now mentioning sleet and snow in Sunday and extended outlook http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Sunday: A cold and frosty start for many on Sunday morning, but clearing through the morning. Increasing wind and cloud will bring heavy rain into Munster by early afternoon and to most places by early Sunday night. Some very heavy falls in places ( 25mm possible) and some falls of sleet and snow are likely also, especially on higher ground.

Extended outlook is for the cold and unsettled weather to persist. Rain on Monday with some wintry precipitation likely, especially on higher ground, but drier periods at times on Tuesday and Wednesday but showers as well, some wintry.

Cold uppers staying a bit further west by +30 here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

MET UK now have a *YELLOW WARNING Back on for NI on friday

*for rain

Cold shifted 50-100 miles further west at t36 on this run.

Yep, a slight upgrade for the northeast for Friday evening, so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

Just noticed it's bitter in England. -4 in some places at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Yep, a slight upgrade for the northeast for Friday evening, so far.

hopefully North East Meath as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Look a hell of a lot better to me than the last run at least for the east in terms of cold reaching in the short term. (Friday etc)

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

Look's to be pushing west alright doesn't it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement