Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

tone it down a little

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

He covered the weekend at the start of the forecast, (wet on Friday, and heavy rain on Sunday, btw.)

It will be wet on Friday and there will be heavy rain on Sunday. There is the potential for rain to turn to snow in the northeast for a time Friday and potential for the rain to turn to snow in places on Sunday. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen, will have to wait closer to the time.

I think people expecting snow everywhere and no rain at all over the weekend are mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Didn't see the forecast but away from high ground there's no guarantee of any snow at all so I don't see what everyone's complaining about, its going to be a nowcast on Friday/Saturday with it being so marginal and after that we have cool Atlantic air for a couple of days. Fair enough he could have mentioned the possibility but with the way people are in this country, tomorrow's main topic of conversation would be 'its going to snow on Friday' and they'd be widely criticised if it turned out wrong. Ridiculous to be calling the man's credibility and knowledge into question over it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

very strange indeed, David Rogers also from ME was able to say "the possibility of rain turning to snow" on the radio forecast yet GM refuses to say it.
    I think if snowfall is possible it's his duty to inform the public

CHAOS in the models = CHAOS in HQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Last night he didn't change his forecast or graphics between broadcasts so i doubt he will tonight.

Very poor to include the weekend and not mention snow.

I try not to 'bash' the Met, but all the output points to at least a Risk of it, if not a liklihood.

Not to sound cheesy but they have a civic duty to inform and if we are headed into the freezer with disruption from snow then be it on their heads if people don't get a heads up. Not to lower the tone but there has already been two casualties from the cold already in Dublin so they will need to keep people properly informed even if its just a risk!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Last night he didn't change his forecast or graphics between broadcasts so i doubt he will tonight.

Very poor to include the weekend and not mention snow.

I try not to 'bash' the Met, but all the output points to at least a Risk of it, if not a liklihood.

He has too! :) At least re-introduce 'uncertain' with the 's' word.

Also a note of realism.

We have been at this point before, over the years, all for it to go down the tubes quite quickly. Yes, great runs today, but, stil 72 hours out. That's loads of time for downgrades. Post 72 hours, you could almost consider FI (the way the models are going lately).

ME are just being cautious, and they are probably right, no need to panic people/worry the elderly.....yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

hawkwing wrote: »
    Gerry tonight gave me the impression of someone who is just doing the job for the money and has little or no interest in the weather. surely anyone would mention the UK etc and that there was cold all around us and snow etc.(

An unfair comment I think. Gerry or any other TV forecaster has 2 mins to relay as much information to the general public as possible. Much easier said than done I would say, and also they have to keep in mind the the tricky situation at the moment, no point in mentioning big whiteout blizzards to hype people up until they are near certain of that themselves. I will say that Gerry does get a lot of stick for not mentioning snow in every forecast, this does not make him a bad forecaster at all. I would say the contrary in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Has there been any snow in the dublin wicklow mountains ? Any pictures. Im not around anymore so pics would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

I've lost count of the good ECM charts I've seen this winter ... still waiting on the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I think people expecting snow everywhere and no rain at all over the weekend are mistaken.

+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I try not to 'bash' the Met,

I bet you do privately though heh Matty ??:D

Anyway let's park the forecast for now and concentrate on what's ahead of us.
    Friday night looks the start and God knows when it will finish
    It is a wintry mix though, not always snow as we move into next week.
    Highground will be key and away from windward coasts.
    Must be stressed long term though, those heights to the North are not as robust as we could do with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Not to sound cheesy but they have a civic duty to inform and if we are headed into the freezer with disruption from snow then be it on their heads if people don't get a heads up. Not to lower the tone but there has already been two casualties from the cold already in Dublin so they will need to keep people properly informed even if its just a risk!

There is very little to suggest were heading 'into the freezer'. Tonight's ECM would give 2 or 3 days of moderate cold. But there is risk of brief periods of heavy snow, cheifly over high ground. Dont see any reason to give the met stick on this one, when there's real risk, they'll tell us.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Kippure wrote: »
    Has there been any snow in the dublin wicklow mountains ? Any pictures. Im not around anymore so pics would be nice.

Yeah, snow at or above 500 metres today.

See: http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/index.php?topic=3216.915

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Sallygap, posted earlier...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82721724&postcount=4463

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

DP cant be higher than temp!

It's now 3.8/4.0 on my weather station Oregon Scientific WRM88.
    dp reading may not be as precise as Temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here you go. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82721724&postcount=4463

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    There is very little to suggest were heading 'into the freezer'. Tonight's ECM would give 2 or 3 days of moderate cold. But there is risk of brief periods of heavy snow, cheifly over high ground. Dont see any reason to give the met stick on this one, when there's real risk, they'll tell us.

Well lets hope they do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Are we to get some snow on high ground tonight at all? West Wicklow Blessington

My view of the ECM is at least six days of Nationwide disruption due to snow and cold starting Sunday. Certainly warrants a pre warning or pre watch as the beeb used to do. He could at least mention the possibility and say it's open to change.
    If you call next week 'moderate cold' I'd love to know what warrants severe cold ?:)
    Of course the ECM could be wrong and I have to say my favourite model over all of them is the GFS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Ah now ... don't be blaming Gerry, hes been in the science at least 20 years..

He rang he boss just before the forecast and got all the info he could!

And heres the latest view in the Head of Met Eireann's office...

1158223_o.gif

• Advertisement

If you call next week 'moderate cold' I'd love to know what warrants severe cold ?:)

850hpa temps lower than -6C anyway.

Also Gerry probably wouldn't have seen the 12z before going on air, not all of it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Thanks for the pictures guys.

Theres abig differance between Canadian snow and irish snow. It means more to get irish snow. Here in alberta we,ve snow from october to May and it gets after awhile a pain in the arse. If it was irish snow i wouldnt mind one bit.:)

Thanks for the pictures guys.

Theres abig differance between Canadian snow and irish snow.

The difference is, Canadian snow isn't invisible.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

My view of the ECM is at least six days of Nationwide disruption due to snow and cold starting Sunday. Certainly warrants a pre warning or pre watch as the beeb used to do. He could at least mention the possibility and say it's open to change.
    Of course the ECM could be wrong and I have to say my favourite model over all of them is the GFS

And what would the GFS bring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

That doesn't work in Ireland, Even if he said "There is a very slight possibility of a cold snap next week with the chance of some heavy snow if it were to materialise" We would have a nationwide game of chinese whispers and before dawn the next day were in for 2010 all over again according to the man and his dog.

Then it doesn't materialise and Met E are bashed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yeah, snow at or above 500 metres today.

See: http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/index.php?topic=3216.915

The Pics I posted a few pages back were taken around 14.30. Snow was well sticking at that stage. Snow level was 480m asl.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056799298&page=298

Actually I was probably too quick to jump conclusions. If the ECM came off we would also be pulling a lot of surface cold off the one big snow field that will be the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Also Gerry probably wouldn't have seen the 12z before going on air, not all of it anyway.

In fairness id have to agree with Beasterly on this one, There is no way they could have updated the on air charts to reflect the 12z run. Maybe be after the 9 0 clock news even then I doubted he is going to put his neck on the line and start saying its going to snow the weekend or early next week which is a long way off and the way the models are flipping.

And what would the GFS bring?
    Snow quite widely on and off until Wed, when it turns milder slowly from the West.
    The pattern has been backing further and further South and West the last few days so much so that Ireland is now more poised than the UK come next week.

• Advertisement

You don't need super cold uppers for severe cold though.

A NI record low temperature of -18 was set in Tyrone here.

archives-2010-12-20-0-1.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement