Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Thats at 850hpa - so more like -2. Could be alot lower at night time though!

Phew. I like when it's real cold at night but not during the day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Phew. I like when it's real cold at night but not during the day :o

When my older brother and dad visited me in Korea, we were in Seoul and it was -14c average (during the day)...:D

red_bairn wrote: »
    When my older brother and dad visited me in Korea, we were in Seoul and it was -14c average (during the day)...:D

Oh god I couldn't cope :L I've got like zero body fat or muscle so the cold just goes through me for a shortcut :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Currently being displayed over in the "Model Discussion Winter 2012-2013" thread. 12 Hrs ECMWF model run at 240 hours out.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/550448/231531.GIF

Now if this scenario was still there at +72 to +96 hours I'd be tempted to.............
    slide_233020_1103027_free.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Spare a thought for the wet and mild lovers.

5ApwF.gif

VPuJb.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Pangea wrote: »
    Spare a thought for the wet and mild lovers.

5ApwF.gif

VPuJb.gif
    Brilliant

Currently being displayed over in the "Model Discussion Winter 2012-2013" thread. 12 Hrs ECMWF model run at 240 hours out.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/550448/231531.GIF

Now if this scenario was still there at +72 to +96 hours I'd be tempted to.............
    slide_233020_1103027_free.gif
    MT is now on board for these models to happen in some shape or form and he's normally very coy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

holy smokes :eek: snow coming snow coming snow coming!!

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    holy smokes :eek: snow coming snow coming snow coming!!
    Its still a bit off but all indications are we're in for very very cold weather, here's hoping there's a good dose of snow thrown in too

my dad is being very adult about this. "what about the ice and walking to college. sure i'll leave 20 or 30 mins earlier if i have to. :D

• Advertisement

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    my dad is being very adult about this. "what about the ice and walking to college. sure i'll leave 20 or 30 mins earlier if i have to. :D

I slipped on ice this morning :( It might as well go all out now and snow too.

I slipped on ice this morning :( It might as well go all out now and snow too.

:( *hugs* not nice. be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

My mam avoid an ice covered bridge today and ended up twisting her ankle in some gravel.
    She should have went for the bridge. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guys calm down - those models are lovely but they are too far out yet - mightn't materialise as we might like...I'm attempting to be calm and sensible about this...it's hard but I must persevere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

Hey this weather chatroom is around with a while I think but just thought I'd share link again this winter

http://client16.addonchat.com/chat.php?id=539786&s/?c=5

sorry if not appropriate just delete :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Please, please, please don't get too cold. I can live with the snow as long as it's not freezing if that makes sense. I can only heat one room in the house and even that is breaking me. The washing machine is out in the shed/garage and its gizzards freeze up when the temp drops too much and our clothes are all smelly and nasty. A nice fall during the early evening and then all gone in the morning please.

leahyl wrote: »
    Guys calm down

Says you in the Ramping Thread :pac:

Pangea wrote: »

Says you in the Ramping Thread :pac:

I know but I don't want people to be disappointed :-) which I fear they will be!

I know but I don't want people to be disappointed :-) which I fear they will be!

They will only be disappointed in Cork when the rest of the country is covered in snow and the Cork snow shield comes on again ;)

Deank wrote: »

They will only be disappointed in Cork when the rest of the country is covered in snow and the Cork snow shield comes on again ;)

Oh you bold bold person :-((

• Advertisement

Let's enjoy the buzz while its here and let the inevitable letdown hit us like a hangover tomorrow morning. :D

Oh you bold bold person :-((

You know it's true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

Deank wrote: »

In my 30+ years I can only ever remember heavy snow in Cork City once. While living in Dublin I have being spoilt.

Cork City must be one of the iciest cities in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

There two clips BBC that very Intruding

uncertainty surrounds the weather as we head into next week.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/20618018

Winter grips Europe (I like what this guy say at the end!)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/20607297

zidewayz wrote: »
    In my 30+ years I can only ever remember heavy snow in Cork City once. While living in Dublin I have being spoilt.

Cork City must be one of the iciest cities in Ireland though.

When was that? 2010? Cos we had heavy snow in 2010 (well heavy by Irish standards anyway - my american friend was laughing about it!:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The standard deviation on models this far out is fecking huge, I'll try not get excited for another while :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

BX 19 wrote: »
    The standard deviation on models this far out is fecking huge, I'll try not get excited for another while :D

That's the margin or error you're talking about - STD DEV is something else altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

When was that? 2010? Cos we had heavy snow in 2010 (well heavy by Irish standards anyway - my american friend was laughing about it!:D)

I was only ever taking out of school once in cork. Not sure what year it was but it was in primary school so leaves me to believe it was some around late 80's early 90's.

Can't speak for snowfall cork in 2010 as when I went home for xmas I departed one foot of snow in dublin to just icey remainders on xmas eve in cork.

Of the seven years I have being in Dub 3/4 of them have had fair to heavy snowfalls while not all as severe as 2010.

Cork by far is the real capital:D but when it comes to snowfall in the east dublin wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Donny5 wrote: »
    That's the margin or error you're talking about - STD DEV is something else altogether.

Naa, I'm talking if a batch of models are ran the deviation from the average is quite big at this stage. Average might be -5c, one model with a slightly different input might be -8c and another -1c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

"Forewarned is Forearmed"

It will soon come to a stage that the onus will be on all of us to get the word out that the cold is really coming and is staying. Please keep in mind the vulnerable and the elderly as maybe a bit of notice, sooner that what the local media are saying, could make alot of difference.

While alot of us are out in the cold and loving it make sure the rest are kept warm and safe!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement