Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Tindie wrote: »
    There two clips BBC that very Intruding

uncertainty surrounds the weather as we head into next week.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/20618018

Winter grips Europe (I like what this guy say at the end!)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/20607297

Love wat he is saying but he is only giving it for east of England :( why o why can't we in Ireland just get some good snowfall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Love wat he is saying but he is only giving it for east of England :( why o why can't we in Ireland just get some good snowfall
    Probably because it an English forecast:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Easterlies just don't give that much snow streamer/shower wise for Ireland. Not enough sea track for them to properly get going. We need troughs and disturbances (fronts from LP close to the south etc) off a straight easterly.

A North-Easterly and we'd be looking at 2010 type Irish sea action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

ZX7R wrote: »
    Probably because it an English forecast:D
    Ye but if he had of said the west coast of England it would make me happy coz I no we on the east coast of Ireland would be in with a good chance of the white stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

BX 19 wrote: »
    Naa, I'm talking if a batch of models are ran the deviation from the average is quite big at this stage. Average might be -5c, one model with a slightly different input might be -8c and another -1c.

You're still talking about the margin of error, not STD DEV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Donny5 wrote: »
    You're still talking about the margin of error, not STD DEV.

Not what I was thought it as

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

John.Icy wrote: »

Easterlies just don't give that much snow streamer/shower wise for Ireland. Not enough sea track for them to properly get going. We need troughs and disturbances (fronts from LP close to the south etc) off a straight easterly.

A North-Easterly and we'd be looking at 2010 type Irish sea action.

Depends on how cold the uppers are too. The sea/lake track in the Great Lakes doesn't have to be very long to generate some heavy streamers there.
    There surely would be enough sea from Liverpool over to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    I know but I don't want people to be disappointed :-) which I fear they will be!

don't want to think about the cork snow shield :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I thought that a snow lovers committee had formed on here in 2010/11 to remove
    1. The Cork Shield
    2. The Isle of Man Shadow
    3. Any pesky Azores high coupled with the nasty fun spoiling jet stream..

I have yet to see the minutes from any of the meetings, so where are we exactly on these proposed amendments (improvements) to Irish Weather influences?
    Perhaps it is a case where we will see the major work starting soon as there is only approx 3 weeks to go until the end of the year in order to spend the budget??? (or more likely, was it cut in the last budget and I didn't get the memo?) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Depends on how cold the uppers are too. The sea/lake track in the Great Lakes doesn't have to be very long to generate some heavy streamers there.
    There surely would be enough sea from Liverpool over to Dublin?

Depends, Anglesey has the potential to rule out beefy showers to much of Dublin and Wicklow.

A North Easterly is preferable anyway, unless you find yourself in the IOM shadow. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Examples of both shadows aimed at me in 2010

6405816685_d7ef53430c_n.jpg5281025826_145826ac48.jpg

(Come on, you all knew the mere mention of the shadows was gonna make me whip these out again :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

I would like to point out the Cork Snow Shield really only refers to Cork city and along that part of the coast...don't want to be giving the rest of the county a bad name, it seems to get a good bit of snow! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Another picture from my brother in Amserdam. This is from his apartment.

http://i.imgur.com/BbMgm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Lovely pic but you might want to resize it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Was fine for me in Chrome. It resized to my graphic card resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'm using Chrome too, it blew out half my monitor, it's no small one either!

Edit: Did you see the link or when it was embedded?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

good gfs and improved ukm this morning. an easterly of some kind fast becoming a reality.

lets hope ecm can play the trump card again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

good gfs and improved ukm this morning. an easterly of some kind fast becoming a reality.

lets hope ecm can play the trump card again.

Ha, this is one of those days that I want it to be 6pm so I can wreck the F5 button on my laptop ! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭a7k10rf6z8buel

It's snowing in Prague. I'm in Prague. That is all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Had a bit of snow this morning but turned to sleet soon enough
    Just outside newry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Permission to get excited? One word of caution though, remember the bitter dissapointment of last febuary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

The radio said this morning that Connacht and Ulster will get sleet showers that will develop into light snow later in higher areas. Is this the beginning? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

The radio said this morning that Connacht and Ulster will get sleet showers that will develop into light snow later in higher areas. Is this the beginning? :eek:

If you mean the beginning of the end of the world then perhaps it is???? ;)

Eastlerlys can be either epic of just fizzle out to nothing but a biting cold wind or even worse stop at the coast of Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

There was a dusting of snow here early this morning according to my father, didnt see it myself.
    Car was covered in the white stuff and bit on the fields :) Very heavy rain though since.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

I refuse to count my chickens just yet. Fool me once, etc.

Hope it happens though! 2 days of cold with at least some snow will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Permission to get excited? One word of caution though, remember the bitter dissapointment of last febuary?

Permission granted:D..The difference this time around though compared to last feb is that if we are disappointed we still have a whole winter left to go:)

There is nothing wrong with a bit of excitement, and sure a full on RAMP is fine too !!

We did get bitten in Feb 2012 but this time we are only 6 days into winter, plenty more chances if this one doesn't come off

That said it is going to happen and nothing is going to stop it ! :pac::D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

t|nt|n wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with a bit of excitement, and sure a full on RAMP is fine too !!

We did get bitten in Feb 2012 but this time we are only 6 days into winter, plenty more chances if this one doesn't come off

That said it is going to happen and nothing is going to stop it ! :pac::D:cool:

MT remains positive in his outlook and he is not a ramper. This time 48 hours ago anything cold was in FI so there has been a big change in the interim. Cold is a strong possibility - the finer details need to be ironed out as to any snow potential.

MT remains positive in his outlook and he is not a ramper. This time 48 hours ago anything cold was in FI so there has been a big change in the interim. Cold is a strong possibility - the finer details need to be ironed out as to any snow potential.

I can't WAIT until the Sunday 12z runs, can we fast forward to then ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

t|nt|n wrote: »
    I can't WAIT until the Sunday 12z runs, can we fast forward to then ? :D

You can - while there you might check the lotto numbers for Friday and Saturday night!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement