Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Poor auld Santa is feelin miserable about having to go out in the rain again on Christmas Eve. :p

The weather is always grand in the pub lads, worth bearing that in mind !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

t|nt|n wrote: »
    The weather is always grand in the pub lads, worth bearing that in mind !

true, it never rains in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

true, it never rains in the pub

or snows...........:mad::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Has su left us?! Just Noticed that hes account is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

God Father wrote: »
    Yeah true it is, I just mean the hill behind my house I suppose. It's the same hill tbh, just a point further to the right on it. 379m apparently :)

vH35d.jpg?3

Took this photo on the way to that Tesco extra on the 21/12/10. When we came out there was another 4/5 inches of snow on the car. Drove like a Boss to make it back up the hill in untouched snow ;). Was so much snow I thought the car was going to bottom out and get beached on top of it :D

I must throw up a few pics in the photos thread... Really hope we get snow now over my christmas break. I feel I have a special bond with the stuff :o

I loved how deep the snow was around there. I spent hours walking in it.

• Advertisement

PLEASE LET IT SNOW

875944-bigthumbnail.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Indication of next week from the bbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/20643497

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Met Eireann Outlook

Saturday night will likely see cloud increasing everywhere, limiting any early frost and icy patches in the south. Also, outbreaks of rain or drizzle will become more persistent in northern counties as the night goes on. Scattered outbreaks of light rain will extend further south during Sunday, although southern parts of Munster and Leinster should remain dry. Any rain will die out by Sunday night, cloud will tend to break and it will become near calm inland; frost and ice will set in widely, and patches of freezing fog may develop further inland also. The early part of next week will be cold but mainly dry and bright, though with extensive night frosts occurring in most places; freezing fog will be a problem at night also and, because of the lack of wind, fog and frost may not clear some areas during daylight hours. During the middle and later part of next week, northeast to north breezes will freshen. This means northern and eastern counties will come under threat of snow showers which may lead to accumulations, even at lower levels. However, the rest of the country will stay mainly dry with clear spells.

funny-pictures-kitten-is-excited-ab.jpg

BX 19 wrote: »
    Met Eireann Outlook

funny-pictures-kitten-is-excited-ab.jpg

This means northern and eastern counties [/B]will come under threat of snow showers which may lead to accumulations, even at lower levels. However, the rest of the country will stay mainly dry with clear spells.

angry_dog.png

leahyl wrote: »
    This means northern and eastern counties [/B]will come under threat of snow showers which may lead to accumulations, even at lower levels. However, the rest of the country will stay mainly dry with clear spells.

angry_dog.png

Hush will ye. Yous get whopper atlantic storms while we get snow. It's a fair trade I think.

• Advertisement

BX 19 wrote: »
    Hush will ye. Yous get whopper atlantic storms while we get snow. It's a fair trade I think.

Eh NO, no it's not :mad::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

leahyl wrote: »

angry_dog.png

31437161.jpg

31437161.jpg

6a00d8341cdd0d53ef014e86b9b561970d-800wi

(You're not getting snow either though:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

East Coast Snow :D:p
    yee_haw_christmas_cowboy_santa_claus_postcard-p239730809809535874envli_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Road Safety Alert

Icy Conditions, Freezing Fog & Risk of Snow

The Road Safety Authority (RSA), today December 7th 2012 is alerting road users of very cold weather for the coming week with wide spread frost and ice, and patches of freezing fog may develop further inland also. Later in the week, temperatures are forecast to fall to as low as -5 degrees at night in areas.

The early part of next week will be cold but mainly dry and bright, though with extensive night frosts occurring in most places. The RSA urge road users to slow down and take extra care as fog and frost may not clear some areas during daylight hours and motorists should be particularly aware of the risk of black ice on the roads. Freezing fog will be a problem at night also. Visibility is greatly reduced in such conditions. A collision involving one vehicle can quickly involve many others, especially if driving too fast and too close to the vehicle in front. The greatest risk is of a multiple-vehicle pile-up on roads with higher speeds such as motorways and dual carriageways.

During the middle and later part of next week, northeast to north breezes will freshen. This means northern and eastern counties will come under threat of snow showers which may lead to accumulations, even at lower levels. However, the rest of the country will stay mainly dry with clear spells.

The RSA is asking road users to take extra care in such adverse weather conditions and have issued the following advice:

Check local and National weather forecasts before setting out on a journey. Clear your windows and mirrors before you set out, carry a screen scraper and de-icer. Do not use hot water on the windscreen as it can crack the glass.

Use your dipped headlights so that others will see you. Make sure your headlights and taillights are all in working order, replace broken bulbs.

Watch out for "black ice." If the road looks polished or glossy it could be, "black ice” one of winter's worst hazards: Black Ice is difficult to see! It is nearly transparent ice that often looks like a harmless puddle or is overlooked entirely. Watch out for black ice, especially in sheltered / shaded areas on roads, under trees and adjacent to high walls.

Check tyres, including spare wheel, replace them if the tread depth falls below 3mm and make sure they are inflated to the correct tyre pressure. Lack of grip can occur even on treated roads so drive slowly in the highest gear possible, manoeuvre gently and avoid harsh braking.

If driving in snow, gently does it. Manoeuvre gently, slow down and leave extra distance between you and the vehicle in front. Too much steering is bad and avoid harsh braking and acceleration. Use the highest gear possible to avoid wheel spin. Select a low gear when travelling downhill especially if through bends. Falling snow, fog, rain, or hail will reduces visibility. Do not hang on to the tail lights of the vehicle in front of you as it can give a false sense of security. When you slow down, use your brakes so that the brake lights warn drivers behind you.

Watch out for vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists and allow extra space.

In patches of fog, switch on fog lamps where visibility is reduced. As you enter fog, check your mirrors and slow down. Use your foot brake lightly so that your lights warn following drivers.

Do not drive on the tail-lights of the vehicle in front (Target Fixing). This can give a false sense of security and you will be too close to be able to brake safely. In heavy fog, turn off your radio and let down your driver’s window a fraction, so as you can hear the presence of other traffic.

Remember to switch off your fog lights once the foggy conditions improve.

Pedestrians and cyclists are advised to;

Be seen. Wear bright clothing with reflective armbands or a reflective belt.

Take extra care when near traffic or crossing the road in extremely windy conditions as sudden gusts can blow you into the path of an oncoming vehicle.

While walking on footpaths and in public places, or entering and exiting your car or truck, DO NOT underestimate the danger of ice.

Many slips and falls happen in places people regard as safe and secure, typically outside their front door, on the door step, on the path or while getting out of the car. It is very possible that a thin sheet of transparent ice or “Black Ice” is covering your pathway putting you at risk. When you approach a footpath or roadway that appears to be covered with ice, always use extreme caution.

If walking or cycling in fog, make sure you are clearly visible by carrying a torch and wearing reflective clothing. Stay well in off the road where there is no footpath when vehicles are approaching.

Visit the RSA’s website for more information on Severe Weather Advice for road users.

For further information please contact

RSA Communications Department – 096 25008

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

According to the models run by run this is what I see,

It is going to snow,
    It's not going to snow,
    It is going to be cold,
    It may not actually be that cold,
    It's going to be sunny,
    Maybe a little cloudy
    Is that rain I see.....

Ohh well for snow lovers there is always deep FI :D If you look long enough you will see a cold spell in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

That's it folks. This is going to be a non-event.... :(

Saganist wrote: »
    That's it folks. This is going to be a non-event.... :(

th_Secret.gif

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I bought my snow chains in Lidl and I want to use them:mad:

dave1982 wrote: »
    I bought my snow chains in Lidl and I want to use them:mad:

That's it folks. Bit of drizzle next week is all we're going to get because dave bought snow chains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Ah ffs Dave. And here's me not even looking for my snow gloves so as not to jinx it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

skynews said BEAST FROM THE EAST next week

diceyd wrote: »

Yeah FOR THE UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Given the last few comments, I am expecting to come into a model white out tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

From a UK Met forecaster

Ian Fergusson ‏@fergieweather
    Hyped "Beast from East" headlines may look mighty misleading if models continue current trend! Cold yes, but hardly Dec 2010 revisited...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

Ha november the 30th 2010. Hopefully will be doing more of this next week! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

God Father wrote: »
    Ha november the 30th 2010. Hopefully will be doing more of this next week! :P

Disappointing it probably won't happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Work email received:
    Road Safety Alert
    Icy Conditions, Freezing Fog & Risk of Snow

The Road Safety Authority (RSA), today December 7th 2012 is alerting road users of very cold weather for the coming week with wide spread frost and ice, and patches of freezing fog may develop further inland also. Later in the week, temperatures are forecast to fall to as low as -5 degrees at night in areas.

The early part of next week will be cold but mainly dry and bright, though with extensive night frosts occurring in most places. The RSA urge road users to slow down and take extra care as fog and frost may not clear some areas during daylight hours and motorists should be particularly aware of the risk of black ice on the roads. Freezing fog will be a problem at night also. Visibility is greatly reduced in such conditions. A collision involving one vehicle can quickly involve many others, especially if driving too fast and too close to the vehicle in front. The greatest risk is of a multiple-vehicle pile-up on roads with higher speeds such as motorways and dual carriageways.

During the middle and later part of next week, northeast to north breezes will freshen. This means northern and eastern counties will come under threat of snow showers which may lead to accumulations, even at lower levels. However, the rest of the country will stay mainly dry with clear spells.

Meh, I'll take it, sounds like gorgeous winter weather. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

not looking forward to driveing into work at 4am on the roads

• Advertisement

not looking forward to driveing into work at 4am on the roads

I see it as a challange. Managed to get around fine in the defender during the last big snow.

some more unseen pics of 2010

poor mobile phone quality (20th -21st dec ish)

UCD Student center (Closed the Campus that day as far as I remember. My exams were cancelled the Friday)

21122010019.jpg

Car park in UCD

21122010022.jpg

The N11 round the junction for Vincents Hosp.

21122010023.jpg

DSLR quality of home (25th I think). The road was a sheet of compacted snow that had turned into ice. It was about 3 inches thick. 4x4 or tractor only.

DSC02149.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement