Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

fryup wrote: »

but didn't they say -5 for tuesday night??

so with that temp..snow is possible
    air temp doesn't have much say in it. Its the 850hpa temps (upper temps) needs to be -8c or lower. Plus a dew point of 0 or below.

I remember Christmas day 2010, it was about -10c and it still rained. Froze solid on the deep frozen ground. We had ice as high as the kerb at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    No, I wasn't on my own but saw one guy who was - kinda brave/stupid. The visibility turned very poor from about half way up. Hard to do without GPS or map and compass. There were deep snow drifts in places too. Snowline was from about 750 meters.

I think there is some chance of streamers on Tuesday/Wednesday for the east coast but nothing of any significance.

I would be more inclined to say stupid. Never know what could go wrong up there no matter how experienced you are. I am only after getting into Hill walking/hiking over the last year or two, and have set myself a goal to conquer all summits in Leinster. What type of GPS unit and compass were you using or would you advise for hiking. I was looking into one of these as I could use it in the sea also.

http://www.locosystech.com/product.php?id=30

Lets hope for some streamers during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

zidewayz wrote: »
    I would be more inclined to say stupid. Never know what could go wrong up there no matter how experienced you are. I am only after getting into Hill walking/hiking over the last year or two, and have set myself a goal to conquer all summits in Leinster. What type of GPS unit and compass were you using or would you advise for hiking. I was looking into one of these as I could use it in the sea also.

http://www.locosystech.com/product.php?id=30

Lets hope for some streamers during the week.

Please don't rely on GPS units. They fail/run out of batteries or just don't work. Buy a decent compass, something like a Silva etc and a OSI map. You can't go wrong when you know how to use a map and compass.

Lug is a nice mountain, easy enough. People say it's a bit dangerous but it's fairly hard to go astray if you know what your doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Friend had a Garmin gps of some sorts. Believe it or not, my iphone with a free app (Every Trail) was just as good, if not better. I have a waterproof case but a zip-lock bag works just as good :D

As for the streamers, I'm not really expecting much but will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Friend had a Garmin gps of some sorts. Believe it or not, my iphone with a free app (Every Trail) was just as good, if not better. I have a waterproof case but a zip-lock bag works just as good :D

As for the streamers, I'm not really expecting much but will wait and see.

How long did it take to get to the snow from the start of your hike. Can u drive some of the way up. Is the car safe were u park it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Lug is part of an expansive range of mountains so there is no short cut to drive some of the way. There are also several routes all starting at different locations. We started at Glenmalure and it took us about 1.5-2 hours to get to the snowline.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I'm giving up on this thread till after christmas unless anyone is going to Lapland in the interim ????

;)

you wouldn't have to go as far as Lapland

Taken at noon on Thursday. (It was -17C)

WP_001005.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

BX 19 wrote: »
    Please don't rely on GPS units. They fail/run out of batteries or just don't work. Buy a decent compass, something like a Silva etc and a OSI map. You can't go wrong when you know how to use a map and compass.

Lug is a nice mountain, easy enough. People say it's a bit dangerous but it's fairly hard to go astray if you know what your doing.

Or you could just go up when it's not snowing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

fits wrote: »
    ;)

you wouldn't have to go as far as Lapland

Taken at noon on Thursday. (It was -17C)

WP_001005.jpg

Where was that taken?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Leitrim , non???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭morton

My hopes were raised earlier on today. The sky was grey and gloomy. Very promising I thought. Looking outside, there was a splat of white on the window. Yippee!!

But it was a bird poo:eek:

Well that's it. Other than tomorrow nite Monday and Tuesday the weather is looking ****e up to next weekend..... This is wat met e are saying.. It's very depressing..... Is there anything on the models after the 22nd to give us some hope 😢

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gaynna

I was so close to warning everyone on my Facebook about the "Beast from the East", but now I'm so glad I elected not to because, in my experience in trying to predict this country's weather, never get your hopes up until you see sunshine, rain, hail, sleet or snow.

I'm still on a downer buzz, though, knowing that I won't see snow, but on the bright side, heating bills were ridiculous in 2010.

Came across this in yesterday's paper. Do ill put it up for the crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

Gaynna wrote: »
    I was so close to warning everyone on my Facebook about the "Beast from the East", but now I'm so glad I elected not to because, in my experience in trying to predict this country's weather, never get your hopes up until you see sunshine, rain, hail, sleet or snow.

I'm still on a downer buzz, though, knowing that I won't see snow, but on the bright side, heating bills were ridiculous in 2010.

I made that very mistake. The excitment was all too much, Had to tell everyone. Until smack!! it hit me in the face so hard that I will never get my hopes up about the "Beast from the east" until it is at our doorstep.
    Lesson learned. Rollercoster is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Smidge wrote: »

Where was that taken?
    Eastern Finland

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

after MT's glimmer i felt i had to post this important message :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Ramp of the day.
    This isn't a chart for the coming week so check the date on it.
    A remarkable similarity I think.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1947/Rrea00119470108.gif

Ramp of the day.
    It often takes time when there's a battleground between the Atlantic and a block to the east. It usually takes a few attempts before the Atlantic throws in the towel. The end of this month saw an easterly blast very similar to the one in Jan 1987. Heres another chart from the archives very similar to the 1947 chart I posted yesterday.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1978/Rrea00119781209.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

This brought 4ft snow drifts to Waterford. Give me something like. :P

archives-1873-2-2-12-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Latest update from ME

:)
    It will be cold again on Tuesday night with more frost and icy conditions. However in parts of the southwest the cloudy conditions and light rain will keep it milder with lows of 2 to 4 degrees, while elsewhere temperatures will fall to between +1 and -2.

On Wednesday there will be outbreaks of rain in western counties, elsewhere it will be largely dry. Highs of 3 to 6 degrees in general but a few degrees milder in parts of the south and west. Cold on Wednesday night with lows +1 to -1 degrees, but in the south milder with lows of 2 to 4 degrees. It will be mostly dry apart from some light rain in the southwest.

A dry start to Thursday for most places with some bright spells. Highest temperatures of only 3 to 6 degrees, the south of Leinster and Munster will be warmer with highs of 8 or 9 degrees as outbreaks of rain continue throughout the day. Winds will be moderate easterly so this will make if feel cooler. Later in the day it looks like the rain will start to spread northwards through the country. The easterly winds will freshen, with a mixture of rain, sleet and even snow forming. There will be some heavy falls of rain at times overnight. It will be another cold night with lows of -1 to +3 degrees.

A wet and windy day on Friday as the rain, sleet and snow continue to affect much of the country. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Latest update from ME

:)
    It will be cold again on Tuesday night with more frost and icy conditions. However in parts of the southwest the cloudy conditions and light rain will keep it milder with lows of 2 to 4 degrees, while elsewhere temperatures will fall to between +1 and -2.

On Wednesday there will be outbreaks of rain in western counties, elsewhere it will be largely dry. Highs of 3 to 6 degrees in general but a few degrees milder in parts of the south and west. Cold on Wednesday night with lows +1 to -1 degrees, but in the south milder with lows of 2 to 4 degrees. It will be mostly dry apart from some light rain in the southwest.

A dry start to Thursday for most places with some bright spells. Highest temperatures of only 3 to 6 degrees, the south of Leinster and Munster will be warmer with highs of 8 or 9 degrees as outbreaks of rain continue throughout the day. Winds will be moderate easterly so this will make if feel cooler. Later in the day it looks like the rain will start to spread northwards through the country. The easterly winds will freshen, with a mixture of rain, sleet and even snow forming. There will be some heavy falls of rain at times overnight. It will be another cold night with lows of -1 to +3 degrees.

A wet and windy day on Friday as the rain, sleet and snow continue to affect much of the country. :)

Take it with a pinch of salt my friend. More likely not to happen than to happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Jeez Maq. You only had to go all the way back to 1873 to find a white fluffy tail on it. :D
    This brought 4ft snow drifts to Waterford. Give me something like. :P

archives-1873-2-2-12-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Weathering wrote: »
    Take it with a pinch of salt my friend. More likely not to happen than to happen
    MerryPositivity.jpg
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Haha I want snow as much as anyone. Met.ie aren't the best in their lookout
    It changes 10 times a second..just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I've decided that MT won't be getting any 'thanks' from me in his forecasts until he mentions that we are going to get 3 feet of snow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

leahyl wrote: »
    I've decided that MT won't be getting any 'thanks' from me in his forecasts until he mentions that we are going to get 3 feet of snow :pac:

Your grandchildren will also be left waiting... unless they move from Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

So how about these chances of snow on Friday... will it stick or melt away?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Rasmus wrote: »
    So how about these chances of snow on Friday... will it stick or melt away?

i hope it sticks... if not im heading for high ground ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

i hope it sticks... if not im heading for high ground ! :P

Just don't get stuck up Lugna, like those two eejits over the weekend. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Met UKs long range forecast is not showing any signs of a winter wonderland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement