Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Storm 10 wrote: »
    According to the UK Met the cold snap is not now going to happen as it will move away and should not be a problem

http://news.sky.com/story/1023229/beast-from-east-uk-spared-siberian-blast
    Sesame St language used in that ...apparently a "7000 mile wide front from Siberia" was sweeping in :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

whitebriar wrote: »
    Its also the 3rd item on east coast FM news at the moment and no doubt other independent stations.
    They even mentioned 'the beast from the east' :eek:
    A lot of snow bunnies may be very disappointed.

On a side note,good to see east and central Europe cool down so quickly as if we ever get surface air from there,we'll know all about it.

On a a serious note,one unfortunate effect of Atlantic weather coming up against a cold block that's just about not cold enough for snow is enhanced rain and flooding sadly.

We've amended that story now ;) That was supplied to us by our News Provider (Newstalk!!)

I'm on now.. I'll say hello to ya! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Before anyone gets too despondent remember that the snow of 1947 & 1963
    didnt arrive until after Christmas...

The winter of 1947 became known as the the Big Snow. Freezing temperatures set in during the final week of January and lasted well into March. Most places in Ireland had between 20 and 30 days of snowfall.

The winter of 1962/1963 was the coldest since 1740. January 1963 was the coldest ever recorded in Ireland and the Shannon froze over at Limerick for the first time in living memory. The freeze set in over Christmas and 45cm of snow fell on New Year’s Eve 1962.

LINK

There is hope yet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

gozunda wrote: »
    Before anyone gets too despondent remember that the snow of 1947 & 1963
    didnt arrive until after Christmas...

The winter of 1947 became known as the the Big Snow. Freezing temperatures set in during the final week of January and lasted well into March. Most places in Ireland had between 20 and 30 days of snowfall.

The winter of 1962/1963 was the coldest since 1740. January 1963 was the coldest ever recorded in Ireland and the Shannon froze over at Limerick for the first time in living memory. The freeze set in over Christmas and 45cm of snow fell on New Year’s Eve 1962.

LINK

There is hope yet.....

My granny informed that the snow didn't clear in donegal completely until May. It wasn't a complete white out until May,snow would freeze thaw and it didn't completely clear until May. She mentioned it came in the final week in January. Imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Weathering wrote: »
    My granny informed that the snow didn't clear in donegal completely until May. It wasn't a complete white out until May,snow would freeze thaw and it didn't completely clear until May. She mentioned it came in the final week in January. Imagine

My freezer is the same :cool:

• Advertisement

Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

gozunda wrote: »
    Freezing temperatures set in during the final week of January and lasted well into March.

There is hope yet.....

This is normally the post we get mid February when winter is all but over but we still clutch at straws, after another mild wet winter:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

45 cm... that'd remind me of going to school in France, I lived in Le Mont-Dore for a while in Massif Central, school was just around the corner, but as we were small walking in it with our Moonboots, it would come up to our thighs :). There was probably a bit more than 45 cm up there even, and that lasted allright, it becomes a low level skiing resort in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Latest forecast from Met Eireann is predicting a 'few flutters of snow to higher ground' on Wednesday night
    Didnt know they were the betting type :D

Katesbridge went down to -5.2 last night.
    Raintoday radar showing the odd blotch of very heavy precipitation over parts of Mid Ulster at the moment. I wonder if its accurate and if so is there any snow in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Just reading back the last week or so,
    Gone from beast of the east and complete shutdown to a bit of wind with a few sleet showers only on boards ie

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just reading back the last week or so,
    Gone from beast of the east and complete shutdown to a bit of wind with a few sleet showers only on boards ie

At that, you'd be (very) lucky to even get a sleet shower! :p

Currently -5.6 in Killygordan.
    -5 in Mt Dillon.
    Amazing that this was almost considered 'balmy' in our extreme winter of 2010.
    Valentia and Sherkin on the other hand are reading 8C. Quite a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I take from the complete lack of posts over the last while, that toys have been thrown from prams, and the roller coaster has a lot of spare seats.

All this talk of a mild winter as well, up to now (11 days only) this has been a cool winter not mild, just not an exceptionally cold winter with below freezing temps each day, but there have been a good few frosts already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Spindle wrote: »
    I take from the complete lack of posts over the last while, that toys have been thrown from prams, and the roller coaster has a lot of spare seats.

All this talk of a mild winter as well, up to now (11 days only) this has been a cool winter not mild, just not an exceptionally cold winter with below freezing temps each day, but there have been a good few frosts already.

Could be just an icy winter and get snow in Jan. :D

I was away in Korea last year and 2010, so that last time I saw snow here was jan 2009 [hectic driving to Carrickmines when working].

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

red_bairn wrote: »
    Could be just an icy winter and get snow in Jan. :D

Well I am betting on snow in January sometime. Although it is Ireland so we may just get very cold rain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

It's a nice crisp cool 0 degrees in Drogheda :) at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

It says, on my phone, that it's 4c outside...I'm about to leave my local library and I'm melting away here from the laptops that have been running all day and the heat from the radiators...(not looking forward to opening that library door)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Weathering wrote: »

'People will laugh at me but it is actually too cold for snow at the moment'.

:pac: Tell that to the rain that's on the way! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    i would do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING for it to snow this year!! love the cold weather dark nights etc.. me and my hubboy also have a 1 year baby boy so it would be amazing for him to see his first white Christmas. So does anyone have any idea if its going to snow this year or be extremely cold?smile.png

(i hope so!)biggrin.pngbiggrin.png
    While i love Snow and the Frost, I am cutely aware the misery of such conditions have for those who are struggling to Pay for mortgages, Basic bills or even for food, where soup kitchens are becoming a normality now. Where most of the Elderly living on very basic means and not enough heat their poorly insulated homes, to keep themselves warm. Those who have to work outside on a daily basic risking life and limb especially on the roads, farms and in Industry, etc. Where one straw load could be enough to break a camel back, the cold can have the same effect on people who already suffering a deadly burden in these deep recessionary times.

So While I love the notion of a white Christmas as a child out of ignorance of the suffering of others around me in this world, As a grown adult, I empathise with others who are bearing the brunt financially, emotionally and physically of the effects of the additional burden of the cold weather. The Celtic Tigers days are well and truly gone when cheap money and fuel was abundant. For two Christmas years in a row for freezing weather is good enough for most of us to remember for a life time. For your 1 year old child who will never going to remember if this Christmas is cold or not.

May it be the warmest and happy Christmas for All to celebrate.

BBC showing -6 for Ulster tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

limklad wrote: »
    While i love Snow and the Frost, I am cutely aware the misery of such conditions have for those who are struggling to Pay for mortgages, Basic bills or even for food, where soup kitchens are becoming a normality now. Where most of the Elderly living on very basic means and not enough heat their poorly insulated homes, to keep themselves warm. Those who have to work outside on a daily basic risking life and limb especially on the roads, farms and in Industry, etc. Where one straw load could be enough to break a camel back, the cold can have the same effect on people who already suffering a deadly burden in these deep recessionary times.

So While I love the notion of a white Christmas as a child out of ignorance of the suffering of others around me in this world, As a grown adult, I empathise with others who are bearing the brunt financially, emotionally and physically of the effects of the additional burden of the cold weather. The Celtic Tigers days are well and truly gone when cheap money and fuel was abundant. For two Christmas years in a row for freezing weather is good enough for most of us to remember for a life time. For your 1 year old child who will never going to remember if this Christmas is cold or not.

May it be the warmest and happy Christmas for All to celebrate.

Yes but this is not a thread or a forum about the suffering of those who are caught by the recession.

This is a forum about the weather and will attract those interested in extremes of weather, be it storms, heatwaves, snow, ice, thunder or torrential rain. This thread reflects those interests albeit only those interested in snow and cold.

That is not to say that people don't care about the issues you raise and they come up time and again whether it is people talking about record temperatures in southern Europe or hurricane Sandy hitting New York. This thread and forum are for the weather aspects of extreme weather events not for the human cost, sometimes tragic of extreme weather events.

So enjoy your Christmas but don't be a Scrooge and stop people enjoying their interests. Nothing to stop you hoping that the wishes for snow do not come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Grandcanal is startimg to freeze in dublin
    im in the car so cant get a photo.

I thought the day time was warm enough to keep the canal ice free

She'd be cawl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Godge wrote: »
    Yes but this is not a thread or a forum about the suffering of those who are caught by the recession.

This is a forum about the weather and will attract those interested in extremes of weather, be it storms, heatwaves, snow, ice, thunder or torrential rain. This thread reflects those interests albeit only those interested in snow and cold.

That is not to say that people don't care about the issues you raise and they come up time and again whether it is people talking about record temperatures in southern Europe or hurricane Sandy hitting New York. This thread and forum are for the weather aspects of extreme weather events not for the human cost, sometimes tragic of extreme weather events.

So enjoy your Christmas but don't be a Scrooge and stop people enjoying their interests. Nothing to stop you hoping that the wishes for snow do not come true.

Here here. Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

Was -5.5 when I left for work this morn at 9.30am ...! Meath/Cavan border area. Got home this eve and everywhere still "white"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

My weather apps have been telling me it's been between 2-4 degrees all day in Tallaght but the frost in many places didn't melt all day.
    I need to get a real thermometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Nabber wrote: »
    Grandcanal is startimg to freeze in dublin
    im in the car so cant get a photo.

But you can go on Boards?? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Where is possible snowfall this were???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement