Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah.
    Johnnyoneone, I got snow already this year :D.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/38994151@N03/8218888468/
    That was Nov 25th, and I'm in Co Waterford, a bit high up but not too high either, just about 190/200m asl.

Could do with a top up for Christmas of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Conrach wrote: »
    LOL. I get all that :D but everyone seems to be an IMBY and unless they were in Finner, which was moved to Errigal during a snowfall, there still won't have been any snow in Ireland (which actually means their area) and therefore everyone got it wrong and the forecasts were ****e.

You are correct and they aren't Conrach. Thats because you like Forecasting instead of Wishcasting I'll wager. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

But, it isn't Christmas yet and there has been snow. He has been correct! I have seen snow on the Mournes on more than one occasion this winter. The 1st time was actually at the end of Oct., only lasted about 12 hours on the peaks but it was still snow. There was 3 consecutive days of snow on the Mournes early this month with no thaw during the day and not only on the peaks. My house overlooks the Mournes.
    Gullion has had snow, as have the Cooleys. There have been reports and photos on this forum of snow in Wicklow.
    I have seen pics and heard reports of snow in Derry and Tyrone.

So..What constitutes legitimate snow fall in Ireland?? What altitude? What Province? What county? What town/village or in who's bloody backyard? :rolleyes:

Well other than the fact that he forecast "Heavy Snowfalls" or that he said "I can’ say just yet if we will have a white Christmas but we’ll almost certainly have plenty of snow before Christmas." or that most people would think that he meant snow in areas that people were actually living rather than the tops of the highest mountains.

Other than that, he got everything right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Coz things are do quiet here ill put this up.
    It looks like it might get colder towards the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Well other than the fact that he forecast "Heavy Snowfalls" or that he said "I can’ say just yet if we will have a white Christmas but we’ll almost certainly have plenty of snow before Christmas." or that most people would think that he meant snow in areas that people were actually living rather than the tops of the highest mountains.

Other than that, he got everything right.

Maybe you should read this, no doubt he means most of the country. It could happen yet but appears more unlikely as each day passes.

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/10/23/donegals-famous-weatherman-predicts-snow-before-christmas/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Joe Public wrote: »
    Maybe you should read this, no doubt he means most of the country. It could happen yet but appears more unlikely as each day passes.

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/10/23/donegals-famous-weatherman-predicts-snow-before-christmas/

That's where i got my quote.

If heavy snow arrives before Christmas it will be the turnaround of a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

mullingar has snow shower on its latest report

any truth in this

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pauldry wrote: »
    mullingar has snow shower on its latest report

any truth in this

Mullingar is another automatic station so I suggest it's fog. No ppn about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭amandstu

I wa s watching the programme "Is the weather getting worse" on Channel 4 last night (interesting) .
    At the very end they stated as a likelihood that we may be in for the coldest winter in 100 years (not "one of the coldest winters for 100 years" either).

I was taken aback as I thought forecasters had enough egg on their faces with attempts at long range forecasts.
    This programe ,though seemed fairly reputable .

Should I be worried ?(obviously after the 2 recent bad winters a third one i not impossible )
    What could they be basing their "forecast" on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

FOG creates confusion to automated weather stations so it thinks it's snowing or perhaps wanting the postman to be correct.

fog-at-sadie-cove_1.700x700.jpg

^^^
    Random Google image

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

So..What constitutes legitimate snow fall in Ireland?? What altitude? What Province? What county? What town/village or in who's bloody backyard? :rolleyes:

I reckon when it appears on the news and not just the weather forecast it would be fairly legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

amandstu wrote: »

Should I be worried ?(obviously after the 2 recent bad winters a third one i not impossible )

Witchcraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

amandstu wrote: »
    I wa s watching the programme "Is the weather getting worse" on Channel 4 last night (interesting) .
    At the very end they stated as a likelihood that we may be in for the coldest winter in 100 years (not "one of the coldest winters for 100 years" either).

I was taken aback as I thought forecasters had enough egg on their faces with attempts at long range forecasts.
    This programe ,though seemed fairly reputable .

Saw that programme it was doing fine until it ended on that note, they haven't clue and so shouldn't suggest they do. Terrible journalism

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

mike65 wrote: »
    Saw that programme it was doing fine until it ended on that note, they haven't clue and so shouldn't suggest they do. Terrible journalism

Is there any other kind? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnnyoneone

But, it isn't Christmas yet and there has been snow. He has been correct! I have seen snow on the Mournes on more than one occasion this winter. The 1st time was actually at the end of Oct., only lasted about 12 hours on the peaks but it was still snow. There was 3 consecutive days of snow on the Mournes early this month with no thaw during the day and not only on the peaks. My house overlooks the Mournes.
    Gullion has had snow, as have the Cooleys. There have been reports and photos on this forum of snow in Wicklow.
    I have seen pics and heard reports of snow in Derry and Tyrone.

Conrach
    Yeah I suppose... It just seems like it wasn't much of a prediction then. Not saying he was wrong, just saying that he has something to cover it up even if he was wrong. Like in all fairness anybody could say there'll be snow in Ireland if it was on the highest mountain or for a couple of minutes? I think he did actually think that we were going to get proper snow, at low levels too, but the newspapers could have just blown it up aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So I have the snow jacket

The gloves

The boots

And the shovel...

So what do I do now? :-{

I feel like a kid with a bucket and spade and no beach _

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

gozunda wrote: »
    Do I have the snow jacket

The gloves

The boots

And the shovel...

So what do I do now? :-{

I feel like a kid with a bucket and spade and no beach _

Book a cheap flight http://ski.visitscotland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Book a cheap flight http://ski.visitscotland.com/

Aahh your too kinda :D

Has Scotland got snow atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

gozunda wrote: »

Aahh your too kinda :D

Has Scotland got snow atm?
    ski resorts are doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Atlantic wins nine times out of ten. Its going to win again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Q - What constitutes legitimate snow fall in Ireland??

A - When there are more than 100 posts per day on the boards.ie weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

-2 in Stockholm today with some nice snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

mayfly757 wrote: »
    -2 in Stockholm today with some nice snow
    Woods?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Normal winter weather for that part of the world!Would we want life threatening winter weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

yorlum11 wrote: »
    Normal winter weather for that part of the world!Would we want life threatening winter weather?

I find the boredom and banality of typical Irish weather to be fairly life threatening at times. Zzzzzzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

yorlum11 wrote: »

We had it in 2010. Sadly a lot of homeless people lost their lives due to the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Here is an article from my local radio station ,we don't need severe weather for homeless people to die
    4 Homeless People Found Dead So Far This Winter 2012-12-19 10:57:10
    The Simon Community says 4 homeless people have been found dead in towns around Ireland so far this winter.

It's calling on the government to invest more in homeless services and housing supports, following a surge in the number of people sleeping rough.

Kildare County Council estimates there are 50 homeless people in Kildare

According to its annual report, there was a 20 per cent rise in Dublin between April and November this year, while there's also been a significant increase in Cork.

National Spokesperson with the Simon Community, Niamh Randall, says they're finding it hard to cope with the upsurge in demand.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I find the boredom and banality of typical Irish weather to be fairly life threatening at times. Zzzzzzz.

Maybe a move to a country where the weather is more exciting would ease your boredom

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement