Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Maybe a move to a country where the weather is more exciting would ease your boredom

Extreme weather is only interesting here because of its rarity. Moving to somewhere where it is more common defeats the rarity of it.

It's like a fisherman giving up on trying to catch the biggest fish in the lake and just going onto to Google Images and searching for pictures of big fish to look at instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I think perfection from an Irish snow lovers point of view would be is about 200-300 metres elevation up a mountain on the east coast. Somewhere like Roundwood would be my favoured spot. Pretty much guaranteed decent snow at least once a winter for a few days. Also its about 10KM inland so summers are warmer than coastal areas despite the moderate elevation

I'd have bought a house up there if the missus let me :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Put away your snow shovels. :pac:

forecast-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Well if it is the end of the world tomorrow, then none of this will matter, but the ramp can start again looking into FI. Just need to tap into that polar vortex. I can almost smell the snow.

I am after taking a seat on the roller coaster again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Helen curran from met e just said it will be a windy rainy day Christmas Eve and Christmas Day :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Helen curran from met e just said it will be a windy rainy day Christmas Eve and Christmas Day :(

Yerra don't mind her - she's not a real meterologist :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

On their website last night, they mention sleet and snow on xmas eve
    There long range forecasts are usually pulled out of their a_s ha

leahyl wrote: »

Yerra don't mind her - she's not a real meterologist :pac:

She is sexy though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ok, seeing as we're going there, Audrey McGrath on Wednesday night, looking all raven haired sensational! Helen, Jean and Siobhán all looking great in their glad rags lately too

Seasons Greetings to all our Met É meteorologists and presenters. And Gerry :D

Divil a bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Storm 10

On the forecast this morning they said the temp tomorrow could reach 14 degrees, there were days in recent summers when it hardly made that high.

th?id=H.4913086942020876&pid=1.7&w=135&h=143&c=7&rs=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Short weather...Where's my bucket and spade

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Weathering wrote: »
    Short weather...Where's my bucket and spade

Yeah true shortest day of the year!

Not much eye candy for the ladies on the weather unfortunately :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Eastern Europe being battered by cold and snow! Damn you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pivot_Al

Just back from a short break in Bergamo, Italy.

Here's a couple of pics taken last friday :D

IMG_5963.JPG

IMG_5946.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Pivot_Al wrote: »

So not much snow? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Pivot_Al wrote: »

IMG_5963.JPG

IMG_5946.JPG
    that sickens me :( great pics tho;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

A nice 14 Degrees expected here today - :(

Just had a text from my friend and work colleague who's gone home to the states for Christmas and she just woke up to go to the loo and it's a winter wonderland outside - they're expecting 3-7 inches of the White stuff :-( - lucky BITCH!! :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

15.3 Degrees in Dún Laoghaire at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No artic blast in 2012 I reckon. Start making new years wishes now!

Will post up some pics from the states later just to give us our fix :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

leahyl wrote: »
    Just had a text from my friend and work colleague who's gone home to the states for Christmas and she just woke up to go to the loo and it's a winter wonderland outside - they're expecting 3-7 inches of the White stuff :-( - lucky BITCH!! :-p

They can feckin well keep it too... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ollie1 wrote: »
    15.3 Degrees in Dún Laoghaire at the moment.

Go home Spring

you are drunk

The Zoo Christmas Special on RTE now for anyone who wants to reminisce about the snow in 2010!!

Met e saying its to be mild up to the new year. So at least another week of this mild wet crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Max today in Moscow is -23c and overnight it was -29c!!

Man if we had a proper long fetch easterly now ,after about 5 days,we'd have sub zero maxima in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tragic! :D (It looks like its going to relent somewhat in Moscow as well soon)

Wouldn't it be great to be over there ❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If there is any chance of a sustained spell of cold with snow potential this winter, I believe it would be in February. This severe cold in Russia shows no real signs of either going away or moving west. That, in combination with research output, suggests to me that it could retrogress (move west) later in the winter.

The whole situation is eerily reminiscent of 1947 but I would say, maybe not quite that extreme nor quite as soon to develop (in Jan 1947 it became very mild mid-month then the severe cold set in after the 21st ... my prediction is that the very mild spells will continue on and off all the way through January, and if the severe cold is going to move west that will start to impact on Britain in late January or the very early part of February and we'll just have to see if it can do better than last year in terms of pushing further west, no reason to think it will fail again if it comes that close, my bet would be this time it does the job).

There is to be realistic about a 30% chance of no cold at all, but maybe 40% chance of severe cold developing and 30% mixed outcome (modified cold).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement