Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just came across 'The Zoo' showing on Animal Planet channel. Christmas Special.

What's that got to do with Snow??

Episode filmed Nov/Dec 2010.

One interesting fact was that the keepers had to go out everyday in boats to break up the frozen lake around the primate islands to prevent the apes from crossing the ice to the mainland or indeed falling through the ice and drowning.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

If there is any chance of a sustained spell of cold with snow potential this winter, I believe it would be in February. This severe cold in Russia shows no real signs of either going away or moving west. That, in combination with research output, suggests to me that it could retrogress (move west) later in the winter.

The whole situation is eerily reminiscent of 1947 but I would say, maybe not quite that extreme nor quite as soon to develop (in Jan 1947 it became very mild mid-month then the severe cold set in after the 21st ... my prediction is that the very mild spells will continue on and off all the way through January, and if the severe cold is going to move west that will start to impact on Britain in late January or the very early part of February and we'll just have to see if it can do better than last year in terms of pushing further west, no reason to think it will fail again if it comes that close, my bet would be this time it does the job).

There is to be realistic about a 30% chance of no cold at all, but maybe 40% chance of severe cold developing and 30% mixed outcome (modified cold).

Thanks for the update MT. Good to see your research is pointing to a decent chance of a cold spell here in Ireland in February 2013. So does this mean that the coming January will be just one mild mucky month with rain band after rain bad coming in off the Atlantic? God, the thought of that is enough to throw yourself into the Irish Sea :D

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

If there is any chance of a sustained spell of cold with snow potential this winter, I believe it would be in February. This severe cold in Russia shows no real signs of either going away or moving west. That, in combination with research output, suggests to me that it could retrogress (move west) later in the winter.

The whole situation is eerily reminiscent of 1947 but I would say, maybe not quite that extreme nor quite as soon to develop (in Jan 1947 it became very mild mid-month then the severe cold set in after the 21st ... my prediction is that the very mild spells will continue on and off all the way through January, and if the severe cold is going to move west that will start to impact on Britain in late January or the very early part of February and we'll just have to see if it can do better than last year in terms of pushing further west, no reason to think it will fail again if it comes that close, my bet would be this time it does the job).

There is to be realistic about a 30% chance of no cold at all, but maybe 40% chance of severe cold developing and 30% mixed outcome (modified cold).
    Interesting.

The danger from a coldie perspective is a Russian high would move south west not west.
    To be brutally honest '47 was a true Scandi high not a Russian one.
    I've not looked at the run up to it but if it was a retrogression of a Siberia Russian high then it is possible to get a somewhat later repeat.
    In my lifetime,this westerly theme into January tends to be prolonged.

That said,no one knows,not even your good self.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Sorry mod's bit OT but happy Christmas to all fellow bordies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Waaaa - no snow :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A cold spell might be on the cards starting around late Jan if the GFS is right with its strat warming idea, and then if things fall into place in a way that suits our location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pouring hailstones here in Donegal, dammit I'll take it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Pangea wrote: »
    Pouring hailstones here in Donegal, dammit I'll take it :D

The postman was right! Sort of. A bit anyway. ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

lovely snowy Moscow tonight

http://www.earthcam.com/russia/moscow/

-12 c and heavy blowing snow reported at Moscows main airport currently.

Very wintry showers here today, mix of sleet and hail in the last few downpours.

• Advertisement

Met.ie giving a quite local forecast tomorrow, copying M.T's style maybe? :)
    Wednesday, St. Stephens Day, will start mainly dry, but rain over the southwest will spread countrywide by early afternoon, falling as snow for a short while on the Donegal hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Pangea wrote: »
    Met.ie giving a quite local forecast tomorrow, copying M.T's style maybe? :)
    Wednesday, St. Stephens Day, will start mainly dry, but rain over the southwest will spread countrywide by early afternoon, falling as snow for a short while on the Donegal hills.

I bet you're happy with that Pangea!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Winter come back all is forgiven :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

My Vantage Vue station is showing the snow symbol in the forecast box. Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

My Vantage Vue station is showing the snow symbol in the forecast box. Just sayin'.
    lots of wet snow falling here amongst the rain in mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Snow's falling here (co.Mayo/Roscommon border, near Carracastle), will not stay anyway, as temperature's still above freezing. :)

What temperature is it there lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

+2.2 and falling. :)

Its about 2.5c here. Was a 75% mixture of snow to rain at one point. All the house windows have condensation on them with the temp drop outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

snaps wrote: »
    Its about 2.5c here. Was a 75% mixture of snow to rain at one point. All the house windows have condensation on them with the temp drop outside.

Snaps, are you on high ground in Mayo ?

Thanks, temperature just dropping here to 4.7
    2C showing on Knock at 15:00 with a hail shower.

Duiske wrote: »

Snaps, are you on high ground in Mayo ?
    no not at all. Temp gone up now out of showers to 3.5c. I'm outside ballinrobe.

Talking of high ground looking out at connemara, the mountains are starting to get a covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Fair bit of sleet and hail here.Much colder!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Snowed for five minutes in Sligo an hour ago. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

At last Met Eireann have copped on to the potential for sleet and hill snow tonight in their forecast.
    Amazing isn't it how we could see this last night and it takes the Met 24hours later to see it.
    Won't be much but good 'ol Gerry mentioned last night that today would have temps upto 11C.
    The reality is day time maxes have been coming in at 4 -7 C all day!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

8322483672_0506eaca9e_c.jpg
    009 by blackbird1973, on Flickr

8322482480_a58be24d57_c.jpg
    012 by blackbird1973, on Flickr

dusting on the galtees today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

snaps wrote: »
    no not at all. Temp gone up now out of showers to 3.5c. I'm outside ballinrobe.

The reason I asked is that I think you guys in the North-West may have an even better shot at wintry weather from late monday afternoon thru to Tuesday morning. Higher up you are the better, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

on sky weather it shows dublin getting a covering about 2 in the morning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement