Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

This reminds me of last year. "Oh the models are great". "This is the one". "There's too much consensus between the models for this not to be a snow deluge". "Thundersnow". "Streamers", only for it all to fall flat just days before the anticipated deluge.

All the same, here's still hoping we get hammered:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

To Alcohol wrote: »
    This reminds me of last year. "Oh the models are great". "This is the one". "There's too much consensus between the models for this not to be a snow deluge". "Thundersnow". "Streamers", only for it all to fall flat just days before the anticipated deluge.

All the same, here's still hoping we get hammered:)

We will find out soon enough maybe even THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Haven't seen this for a while lads in the netweather 10day lookout
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=10day;sess=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    This thread is out of control! Thats a sure sign the cold is coming! :D

It's about this time the Su would have stepped in with a detail account of how this wont happen. Then then the abuse from the blow ins would come.

He's not here now so are the veteran residents ready for the 'Will it snow in my garden' questions.

If the weather is just a tenth as good as some of the model outputs I'll be more than happy.

Keep up the good work guys

Piers Corbyn is even going for snow now and he dismissed the non-snow event last month when most reputable weather agencies thought it was a high possibility

• Advertisement

EC ENS mean N Atlantic 850mb temp anom with a text-book distribution that highlights blocking to the N or NW of the UK

https://twitter.com/MattHugo81/status/287677824016453632/photo/1/large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

Weathering wrote: »
    Piers Corbyn is even going for snow now and he dismissed the non-snow event last month when most reputable weather agencies thought it was a high possibility

I have been paying more attention to the amount of waxwings hanging around my area then the make it up as you go along forecasters like Piers!

I have been paying more attention to the amount of waxwings hanging around my area then the make it up as you go along forecasters like Piers!

I don't know enough about him tbh, he could be a chancer. Just going on what I've seen on twitter now and again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=490
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial]Countries with the mildest climates, like Ireland, suffer most during cold weather because culturally we are not geared for the cold. In cold countries like Norway, inhabitants pay close attention to housing design, warm clothing and the proportion of income spent on heating. According to figures from the EHRA, Ireland experiences a 30-32% increase in deaths each Winter, while Norway only sees a 2% increase.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial]Hypothermia causes a number of symptoms, and if anyone is experiencing a few of them during cold weather, or in cold conditions, then they are probably experiencing hypothermia. The symptoms include:

• Pale skin.
    • Drowsiness and lethargic behaviour.
    • Mental confusion.
    • A loss of co-ordination.
    • Shivering.
    • Heavy breathing and slurred speech.
    • Feeling weak.
    • A state of shock.
    [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial] Hypothermia can be very dangerous, as it can easily lead to unconsciousness and eventually death if the body’s temperature continues to fall. People experiencing hypothermia require immediate medical help.
    [/FONT]

I have experienced hypothermia twice, both were from prolonged periods outside working in the cold and getting hungry but wanting to get the work done to get in out of the cold.
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial]Being run-down, hungry or thirsty can bring on hypothermia quicker. Sometimes people who are experiencing hypothermia may not be aware that they are unwell, as its onset is very slow and gradual.[/FONT]

I basically had to get myself inside to the warmth as the cold was making me weak, vision becoming blurred and I was ready to faint.
    The last time it happened was at the end of March 2010, as the rain turned to sleet in strong cold winds before we had the blizzard and drifts of snow.
    So I always eat lots now in cold weather, and work with an in and out policy - into the warmth - drink tea and/or eat back out to the cold, repeat this regularly, because simple things like trying to get work done while out in the cold for a prolonged period - especially if there is a wind that would go through you, and waiting for a meal time can lead to hypothermia.
    It would probably help if I had a bit of fat on me for reserves, but I am one of those people who find it near impossible to put weight on.

I don't mind a small bit of snow, it is ok in January. The main thing is to avoid hypothermia. I think there was a case in Bray this winter where a homeless man died of hypothermia.

There is a long way to go in winter yet, would be nice to get the snow now and be finished with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Weathering wrote: »

I don't know enough about him tbh, he could be a chancer. Just going on what I've seen on twitter now and again

I wouldn't pay any attention to him if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

A couple of things on reading the past few pages

1. More people will be prepared for a major snow event as there will be lots and lots of pages on this thread by then .....judging by what this thread is when there is a hint of a tint in the charts a couple of weeks away... So by the time Snowmagedden comes (<<<see what I did there? :D), people would have had plenty time to get prepared.

2. I would like to point out to the more faint hearted among you that this is a LET IT SNOW.... RAMPING THREAD.... it does exactly what it says on the tin... So no point complaining that the storyline is too scary... you were warned by the poster at the front of house before you bought your ticket... might I suggest a wee lie down in the Summer 2013 thread..>>>

3. A note on the my 'Back Yarders' due to descend in their droves to this thread by the end of the month... (did it again! ;)).. lets treat them nicely... show them what a nice place this is to come and play and always refer them back to MT's forecast! (If that's the only response anyone gets, then they'll soon cotton on!)

4. Everyone here promises to post pictures of any wintry precipitation that may fall on this fair isle cause I think that's pretty much the rules now if you mention the white stuff and want people to believe you!! Have I got that Right Senior Pangea..?

eskimocat wrote: »

1. More people will be prepared for a major snow event as there will be lots and lots of pages on this thread by then .....judging by what this thread is when there is a hint of a tint in the charts a couple of weeks away... So by the time Snowmagedden comes (<<<see what I did there? :D), people would have had plenty time to get prepared.

2. I would like to point out to the more faint hearted among you that this is a LET IT SNOW.... RAMPING THREAD.... it does exactly what it says on the tin... So no point complaining that the storyline is too scary... you were warned by the poster at the front of house before you bought your ticket... might I suggest a wee lie down in the Summer 2013 thread..>>>

3. A note on the my 'Back Yarders' due to descend in their droves to this thread by the end of the month... (did it again! ;)).. lets treat them nicely... show them what a nice place this is to come and play and always refer them back to MT's forecast! (If that's the only response anyone gets, then they'll soon cotton on!)

4. Everyone here promises to post pictures of any wintry precipitation that may fall on this fair isle cause I think that's pretty much the rules now if you mention the white stuff and want people to believe you!! Have I got that Right Senior Pangea..?

But we have nightmares about last summer which was too cold most of the time.
    All this cold and love of cold would get to one, no wonder lots are going to Australia but that is a bit extreme at the moment if one wants to escape cold...out of a possible freezer into the frying pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann outlook is updated, based on the 12Z ECM. Headline is "change to much colder conditions" after Tuesday.

Of course that will change based on what the ECM shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

This is a Ramping thread for weather enthusiasts who happen to welcome cold weather. While I respect all peoples weather wishes, going against the grain here is your personal opinion and not what the thread is about so in affect all non hyping of cold posts are simply Off Topic.

Enough now please.

Min...start your on thread entitled let it not snow because it's very very dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

Min wrote: »
    But we have nightmares about last summer which was too cold most of the time.
    All this cold and love of cold would get to one, no wonder lots are going to Australia but that is a bit extreme at the moment if one wants to escape cold...out of a possible freezer into the frying pan.

Different seasons bring different kinds of cold.

As previous posters pointed out, no matter how many or few of us there are hoping for cold, the weather will do what it does.

We understand your point of view and that's entirely your prerogative but you've had your say, could you please leave it at that?

I think that would suit a lot of the boardsies on here too Min... another extreme... now personally I will take freezer over frying pan any time... sounds like you know what you have to do to keep yourself safe and warm during the 'big fall of 2013' (:)) and sure that's all anyone can do... the weather is going to do what its going to do anyway and people will love it, hate it or meh it no matter what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wisdom:)

OFF TOPIC POSTS WILL NOW BE MET WITH ACTION

Redsunset wrote: »
    This is a Ramping thread for weather enthusiasts who happen to welcome cold weather. While I respect all peoples weather wishes, going against the grain here is your personal opinion and not what the thread is about so in affect all non hyping of cold posts are simply Off Topic.

Enough now please.

That is fine and I had said all I was going to say.

If it is ok I might do a topic opposite to this one, for weather enthusiasts who like mild weather in winter, with advice in the first post for what to do in cold weather.
    So people who don't like cold weather can have their own winter thread and we can be happy and ramp mild weather.
    I don't want to start one and for it to be seen as having a go at anyone here, but people who like mild weather have nowhere to post at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

Min wrote: »
    That is fine and I had said all I was going to say.

If it is ok I might do a topic to opposite to this one, for weather enthusiasts who like mild weather in winter, with advice in the first post for what to do in cold weather.
    So people who don't like cold weather can have their own winter thread and we can be happy and ramp mild weather.
    I don't want to start one and for it to be seen as having a go at anyone here, but people who like mild weather have nowhere to post at the moment.

I think if you like mild weather all you need to do is sit back and wait until this cold spell invariably amounts to very little and we are back in a zonal flow in a few weeks time. :pac:

(I hope the opposite is the case though!)

Start a stay safe in winter thread if you so wish. Be winter ready.

Now the rest of you stay on topic.

Okay, back on topic...

I am still unsure about what other elements we need to be hoping for, for this SSW to bring us the goodies...

So the SSW is in place... check
    The jet stream... anyone check what its doing these days?
    Blocking... what's anyone doing about blocking.. have we the right place picked for it this time... (think the movers got it wrong leaving it too far east earlier this winter..)
    Then there is the usual last minute stuff....Isle of man shadow and the Cork thingy.. whatdajmacall it... SHIELD

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

ahhh , hurry up snow !! im leaving for oz in 4 weeks , dont wanna miss out on a dacent cold spell !!
    imagine getting a few days of -20 here and then hoping on a plane and stepping off over in +40 degrees .. that would be tough ha !!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ibjupj.gif

senor pangea's reaction to being snowed in as he opens his front door first thing on January the 22nd 2013.

Redsunset wrote: »
    Start a stay safe in winter thread if you so wish. Be winter ready.

Now the rest of you stay on topic.

I will do that as it is important.
    Okay, back on topic...

I am still unsure about what other elements we need to be hoping for, for this SSW to bring us the goodies...

So the SSW is in place... check
    The jet stream... anyone check what its doing these days?
    Blocking... what's anyone doing about blocking.. have we the right place picked for it this time... (think the movers got it wrong leaving it too far east earlier this winter..)
    Then there is the usual last minute stuff....Isle of man shadow and the Cork thingy.. whatdajmacall it...

http://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/640x480/2xeu_jt.gif for the jetstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

For newcomers...
    32964430.jpg
    32964190.jpg
    32964490.jpg
    32964737.jpg

Now back to snow... :D

Haha Beasterly funniest yet. You deserve an Oscar or Noble prize for that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Have I got that Right Senior Pangea..?

Exactly, Although I think it was Iancar who originally said it, I just upped it a notch :D

senor pangea's reaction to being snowed in as he opens his front door first thing on January the 22nd 2013.

Ah yes, the last time that gif was used a lot of snow came after it :D

• Advertisement

Okay, so where is Iancar.... I think he usually does a bit of snow dancing for us when the charts etc look promising... think he wore out his socks in 2010... ;)

Beasterly... still laughing... excellent post...... ROFL.... and the cat is looking at me funny...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement