Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Exactly, Although I think it was Iancar who originally said it, I just upped it a notch :D

Ah yes, the last time that gif was used a lot of snow came after it :D

it's the gif that keeps on giving;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

You'd almost be tempted to stay up for the 0Z GFS/UKMO.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

What,who said that?? ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Is that your way of saying you want us all to stay up with you Maq? Is it like a weather forum all nighter... ?? huh huh? You know telling jokes, passing around charts.... remembering the good old days where the FI charts came true... stuff like that???? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Im staying up for the 00z ECM :P

In one waay it would be good if the models dropped this, atleast i could start eating and sleeping again then.

• Advertisement

eskimocat wrote: »

Is that your way of saying you want us all to stay up with you Maq? Is it like a weather forum all nighter... ?? huh huh? You know telling jokes, passing around charts.... remembering the good old days where the FI charts came true... stuff like that???? :pac::pac:

Ah no, its probably a bit too soon to be doing that! Maybe in a few days if things are looking promising....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

My sleeping routine goes out the window when it comes to snow/interesting weather. awake most of the night checking reports and new runs end up missing the best bits during the day then ha

eskimocat wrote: »

Ive often come home after a night out a turned the PC on to check the charts, while still out of my mind. Luckily ive never been able to put my boards password in right in those instances. Im not obsessed, i swear....

On the 27th of november 2010 I told myself id wait up till the snow arrived. I thought it would be half 1 or so. 4 oclock still no sign, gave into sleep on the couch by the window. Woke up at 7 to 6 inches of snow! :D

Oh the memories... :(

Ah no, its probably a bit too soon to be doing that! Maybe in a few days if things are looking promising....

Yeah I agree, it was just the FI charts talking there, gone to ma head! I gotta go get some shut eye... have an exam on Monday so can't be chit chatting about here all night with you good folks.... need to keep the brain gassed up... enjoyed the chat... nite y' all..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

❄❄❄ :)

• Advertisement

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Im not obsessed, i swear....

(

And I for one believe you... but thousands wouldn't!
    That reminds me maybe we need to advance plan the ramping thread aftercare meeting.. you know for the recovery of the snowbies.. (snow or no snow)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Met Eireann outlook is updated, based on the 12Z ECM. Headline is "change to much colder conditions" after Tuesday.

Of course that will change based on what the ECM shows.
    It also says "increasing risk of wintry showers for northern and eastern areas" for next weekend.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Ooh is the SHADOW back on the horizon for Dublin, exciting times or maybe not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

For those just waking up thinking last night was just some wacked out dream or drank too much! Well the models are still holding it together Wednesday onwards polar bears will be roaming across Donegal eating postmen and no one need worry about mortgages as we will all be living in igloos. At least a few seasonal days of significant cold, enjoy while its here!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Much colder outlook from ME this morning:

A change to much colder conditions is expected from later Tuesday......brighter conditions over the weekend but with an increasing risk of some wintry showers for northern and some eastern areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

My 3 cats have put loads of weight on the last few weeks and there fur has bulked up loads,they never do this.The snow is coming i tell ye.
    Either that or they have been catching all the birds that the postman has been going on about.:)

0Z ECM is another great run for cold lovers. Rollercoaster cranking up speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

ECM is excellent again today with a cold easterly by next weekend. :)

GFS OP run looks out of kilter with the strat conditions and forecast conditions but there is still a chance it is correct. Ensembles are much improved though this morning.

UKMO/GEM/NOGAPS are all looking good too- havent seen JMA/BOM yet.

Overall we are heading in the right direction and things are starting to shape up for a severe cold spell. :D

Will not believe 100% til its at +72hrs on all of the big 3 models though*

Dan :)

An up and a down on the rollercoaster, at the same time, from the UKMO point of view.
    UKMO will continue, rightly, with cautious phraseology re potential outcomes of cold spell for now. Currently lean towards EC solution but as of 00z, MOGREPS not aboard (more mobile by d10 after retaining ridging). Next 2 days will be critical in terms of how public forecasts are tilted/emphasised thereafter.

(Ian Fergusson via Netweather)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Min wrote: »
    The internet would be non existent for a lot of people, no phones with landlines down and nothing to charge the mobile phone. I don't think many would really enjoy it. This is being realistic.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/SnowfallAnal.pdf

As Met Eireann put it - SnowfallAnal :P
    I've got a solar cell powerfull enough to power a laptop/phone chargers etc:-D

• Advertisement

The GFS 00z Op and control were outliers in bringing low pressure across the North Atlantic, with the the majority of ensembles going for pressure rises in the north atlantic.

235156.png

ECM seems to have a good few member following the op run this morning:
    http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/catalog/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!168!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2009112700!!/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    The GFS 00z Op and control were outliers in bringing low pressure across the North Atlantic, with the the majority of ensembles going for pressure rises in the north atlantic.

235156.png

ECM seems to have a good few member following the op run this morning:
    http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/catalog/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!168!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2009112700!!/

For dummies like me, is this a good thing or a bad thing in terms of the cold reaching Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

BBC weather showed graph of temperatures plummeting during the week, even going below average, he also said it may turn even colder next weekend. Good times ahead.

Cant wait for some great weather. So excited now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Pangea wrote: »
    BBC weather showed graph of temperatures plummeting during the week, even going below average, he also said it may turn even colder next weekend. Good times ahead.
    Even mentioned the computer models showing high pressure to our north and said "IF" this happens...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

For dummies like me, is this a good thing or a bad thing in terms of the cold reaching Ireland??

Pretty much from Thursday onwards we enter a cold period. This opens more potential for getting even colder with snow and ice and even possibly a Siberian blast.

I'm sure people will be happy with the farming forecast coming up on RTE today. Since it's based on the ECM, we already know what it will show for next weekend and the ECM at the moment is the model showing the best potential for cold/wintry conditions during that time.

Edit : Btw, I'm not saying thats what is actually going to happen. Other models disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm sure people will be happy with the farming forecast coming up on RTE today. Since it's based on the ECM, we already know what it will show for next weekend and the ECM at the moment is the model showing the best potential for cold/wintry conditions during that time.

please let it be Gerry doing the forecast:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

They should actually bring back Eagleton, just for one special presentation!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,199 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

According to the announcer it shall be Gerry. Watch for the inner struggle!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement