Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Kippure wrote: »

High ground along the east coast at best. Hard tell at this stage, we could have a differant cold outcome next run. Saturday/sunday .:D
    That will do me, I'm 150 mtrs asl facing the Irish sea up on the Blackstairs mountain.
    We got over 10 inches in 2010... Half that will do please!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Pretty good 0-180 ensembles on the 12Z GFS again, for the east coast.

(850 temps)
    vmew0.jpg

Most members dipping below -5 on the 13th/14th. A couple even manage to get down to -10 with the op run being one of the mildest at times. So still potential yet for a surpise this weekend based on those.

But as Ian Fergusson and others have said, we need to look further ahead before the models start picking up on the changes coming down from the strat warming. It's a long rollercoaster ride, don't think it's over if this weekend doesn't deliver much for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

Not bad:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

ecm172.gif

We are into 96 hours, at the very least I can leave my Beer outside to chill and my misses when she need to cool off :D

Fairly good agreement now between the ECM and the GFS at 144.

• Advertisement

finishline.jpg

We are into some cold at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

finishline.jpg

We are into some cold at last!

ehhhhhhh.......

ECM1-168_mqu6.GIF

This as good as it gets from the ECM. 24 hours of coldish weather?
    ECM0-144_jej7.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Fairly good agreement now between the ECM and the GFS at 144.

Look at the US, we have huge differences at +144hrs upstream. Would not trust any output past +120hrs.

Dan :)

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    ehhhhhhh.......

ECM1-168_mqu6.GIF

This as good as it gets from the ECM. 24 hours of coldish weather?
    ECM0-144_jej7.GIF

I have a mental block against anything past 96 hours until things settle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

:(
    seaside-roller-coaster.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Really don't get all the excitement and hype over the past couple of days :confused:

As said this morning, I haven't been keeping up to date with the models but looking at last nights and today's offerings there's nothing overly interesting happening in the coming week. Next weekend looks cool and wet and at no stage is there anything more than a glancing blow of cold air being projected, the 'cold' spell looks like low single figures by day and a few night frosts, perfectly normal for January

Maybe something will happen after that, who knows but there's little to be excited about in the short term

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Whatever about snow im looking forward to some cool bright weather.

Agreed, sick to hell of this damn miserable overcast weather, either lash rain and gimme some wind with it or be nice and cold and sunny and no wind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

What was that rte forecast about, is gerry trying to ruin my life....lol

Met eireann going on whats infront of them. Fare Play.

WHat next on this roller coaster....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Harps wrote: »
    Really don't get all the excitement and hype over the past couple of days :confused:

As said this morning, I haven't been keeping up to date with the models but looking at last nights and today's offerings there's nothing overly interesting happening in the coming week. Next weekend looks cool and wet and at no stage is there anything more than a glancing blow of cold air being projected, the 'cold' spell looks like low single figures by day and a few night frosts, perfectly normal for January

Maybe something will happen after that, who knows but there's little to be excited about in the short term

Well nobody is expecting anything brilliant in the short term, the interest is in the medium range and with so much uncertainty its difficult to be either excited or depressed. BUT from your point of view there isnt much potential for the North west in the medium term- The east of the country is in a very different position and if the cold air on the 12z GFS were to come 300 miles further west then there could be serious snow over the weekend in the east of Ireland, so I wouldnt be so confident of a cool and wet weekend.

I would not be confident of anything for next weekend.

Edit : east to west...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

Well nobody is expecting anything brilliant in the short term, the interest is in the medium range and with so much uncertainty its difficult to be either excited or depressed. BUT from your point of view there isnt much potential for the North west in the medium term- The east of the country is in a very different position and if the cold air on the 12z GFS were to come 300 miles further east then there could be serious snow over the weekend in the east of Ireland, so I wouldnt be so confident of a cool and wet weekend.

I would not be confident of anything for next weekend.

you mean further west!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

vicwatson wrote: »
    Agreed, sick to hell of this damn miserable overcast weather, either lash rain and gimme some wind with it or be nice and cold and sunny and no wind :)

Personally I don't mind this weather as I think it is a welcome relief from what we had over the previous few weeks which were cold & bright. The rain feels nice and warm and the skies nice and dark. Cold, watery brightness has only so much appeal, and that is very little.

Harps wrote: »

It's down to two main things.

1) The ECM, a couple of days ago, showed two runs back to back with an impressive easterly, the country covered in -8 upper air followed by more wintery FI. That weekend easterly is no longer on the table since the ECM dropped it yesterday.

2) The potential that may be on the cards due to the SSW happening right now:

10mb9065.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Well to be honest I'm greedy I just want a week of snow and cold from Saturday onwards, With met E saying each day....... " today will see further snow showers in all areas and back gardens, with accumulations in all areas. But rain in cork"

But who would be the best person in met e to give such a forecast lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Personally I don't mind this weather as I think it is a welcome relief from what we had over the previous few weeks which were cold & bright. The rain feels nice and warm and the skies nice and dark. Cold, watery brightness has only so much appeal, and that is very little.

paddy1 i'm going to have to disagree. this grey, gloomy weather is cack. i have not seen the sun in five days. at least it seems this weekend i will, and hopefully some snow too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Latest from Matthew Hugo on twitter Matthew Hugo ‏@MattHugo81
    Both 12z ECMWF deterministic and control runs are mild outliers against the ensembles. That being said, still looking less cold next wk.

one word for this UGH

• Advertisement

Weathering wrote: »
    Latest from Matthew Hugo on twitter Matthew Hugo ‏@MattHugo81
    Both 12z ECMWF deterministic and control runs are mild outliers against the ensembles. That being said, still looking less cold next wk.

one word for this UGH

https://twitter.com/essexweather/status/288321231156035585

Essex Weather Centre
    @CanveyIsweather MOGREPS is very persistent on the proper cold conditions arriving middle of next week, this weekend a bonus I suppose.

GET IN THERE MY SON!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I'm going to do myself a favour. I'm not going to check any charts,read forecasts snoop boards for 48hours.. Hopefully something concrete will appear by then. Fed up of the tide going in and out at this stage. I need a break ah

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

https://twitter.com/essexweather/status/288321231156035585

Essex Weather Centre
    @CanveyIsweather MOGREPS is very persistent on the proper cold conditions arriving middle of next week, this weekend a bonus I suppose.

GET IN THERE MY SON!

forgive my ignorance, but is this the twitter account of the ukmo?

Just a private forecast website that have MOGREPS access it seems.

MOGREPS is being mentioned alot by Ian from Met Office as one of their main source models so I guess any info on what its showing is very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Not too sure if the official UK Met Office Twitter account would use the following sentence "get in there my son!".....not very professional eh? :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

derekon wrote: »
    Not too sure if the official UK Met Office Twitter account would use the following sentence "get in there my son!".....not very professional eh? :D

D

I'm pretty sure that bit is Jaffusmaximus and not part of the original twitter post :)

srocliffe wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that bit is Jaffusmaximus and not part of the original twitter post :)

That was my expert analysis on the tweet :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I'm going to do myself a favour. I'm not going to check any charts,read forecasts snoop boards for 48hours.. Hopefully something concrete will appear by then. Fed up of the tide going in and out at this stage. I need a break ah

Thats what this thread is for, made for those who dont like rollercoasters :) Although even 120 hours is a long time.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82518952#post82518952

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Bet you'll still check the charts ;):D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement