Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The rain feels nice and warm

And wet, dont forget very wet! A drenched body is far from warm. Infact I got soaked yesterday and Im getting the cold :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Harps wrote: »
    Really don't get all the excitement and hype over the past couple of days :confused:

As said this morning, I haven't been keeping up to date with the models but looking at last nights and today's offerings there's nothing overly interesting happening in the coming week. Next weekend looks cool and wet and at no stage is there anything more than a glancing blow of cold air being projected, the 'cold' spell looks like low single figures by day and a few night frosts, perfectly normal for January

Maybe something will happen after that, who knows but there's little to be excited about in the short term

One mans Rubbish is another's gold , each to there own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Ready to rock for the 18z....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

It's down to two main things.

1) The ECM, a couple of days ago, showed two runs back to back with an impressive easterly, the country covered in -8 upper air followed by more wintery FI. That weekend easterly is no longer on the table since the ECM dropped it yesterday.

2) The potential that may be on the cards due to the SSW happening right now:

10mb9065.gif

Fair enough, I didn't see either of those runs but on the whole there's no trend towards anything other than cool and wet weather for the next 7 days. All the twitter, & netweather posts and whatnot that are being posted refer to the UK where it does look like getting a lot colder

As for the SSW, I don't know a lot about them but I've read it happens roughly every second winter, considering how comparatively few cold spells we've had in the past 25 years the odds on a cold spell can't improve that much? It'll be interesting to see what effect it does have on the PV but having had a glance through the link you posted today in the SSW thread, past SSW's have rarely delivered anything of note

Sorry for the constant pessimistic posting, wish I had something more positive to add!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

28s3qls.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

paddy1 i'm going to have to disagree. this grey, gloomy weather is cack. i have not seen the sun in five days. at least it seems this weekend i will, and hopefully some snow too:)

Would you complain about the lack of sun for 5 days if it was equally as glum as it is now but continuously snowing instead? :)

We've had a hell of a lot of cold, sunny, non-descript weather throughout the month of November & December and while some might find that incredibly riveting, I don't. It's boring. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Fair enough, I didn't see either of those runs but on the whole there's no trend towards anything other than cool and wet weather for the next 7 days. All the twitter, & netweather posts and whatnot that are being posted refer to the UK where it does look like getting a lot colder

As for the SSW, I don't know a lot about them but I've read it happens roughly every second winter, considering how comparatively few cold spells we've had in the past 25 years the odds on a cold spell can't improve that much? It'll be interesting to see what effect it does have on the PV but having had a glance through the link you posted today in the SSW thread, past SSW's have rarely delivered anything of note

Sorry for the constant pessimistic posting, wish I had something more positive to add!

Yes people I know I said I was taking a break etc etc etc ha

Harps you say SSW happens every second winter and we have very few cold spells in comparison. I, myself know very little about this but I think this SSW is quite a strong one from what I've gathered. So you kind of are being slightly pessimistic when it comes to this "I think" ha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Would you complain about the lack of sun for 5 days if it was equally as glum as it is now but continuously snowing instead? :)

We've had a hell of a lot of cold, sunny, non-descript weather throughout the month of November & December and while some might find that incredibly riveting, I don't. It's boring. :cool:

of course not paddy1, because in no way could such conditions be described as glum:D

i'd doubt you'd complain yourself if we had five days without sun due to thunder snow;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

That was my expert analysis on the tweet :cool:

Fair enough. Good analysis! :D

D

i'd doubt you'd complain yourself if we had five days without sun due to thunder snow;)

Of course not :) but I am not sure why there is such limit preferences to weather types. It sort of seems you are not 'in' if you don't go with sunny weather or snowy weather. A rain drop is equally as miraculous as a snowflake and in fairness we have seen very few days like this this winter so far, and in more recent winters in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think "get in there my son" is a reference to the isolation cell that is used whenever a UK met person predicts below normal temperatures.

This cold spell is looking marginal at best, would say wait a few weeks and we may see a better push west. The GFS continues to be bullish on that but could be too fast looking at the whole range of guidance. I do think that eventually we are going to see serious cold and snow this winter, and the most likely time is early to mid February.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Maybe not great for Galway as it's further west but a majority of 12Z GFS ensembles for the east coast have uppers dipping below -5 late next weekend, some getting down to -10. Beyond that is FI and changing a lot on every run/model.

vmew0.jpg

Of course not :) but I am not sure why there is such limit preferences to weather types. It sort of seems you are not 'in' if you don't go with sunny weather or snowy weather. A rain drop is equally as miraculous as a snowflake and in fairness we have seen very few days like this this winter so far, and in more recent winters in fact.

if snow were as common on this island as rain, then i might agree;)

18Z GFS keeps the colder air futher east next weekend.

Now to see what happens in FI this time....

if snow were as common on this island as rain, then i might agree;)

How common is rain on this island though? Does it rain more often than it doesn't rain? I am pretty sure it dosn't rain as much as we generally think it does, in fact I wager that we get more sun than rain on average. ;)

I think "get in there my son" is a reference to the isolation cell that is used whenever a UK met person predicts below normal temperatures.

This cold spell is looking marginal at best, would say wait a few weeks and we may see a better push west. The GFS continues to be bullish on that but could be too fast looking at the whole range of guidance. I do think that eventually we are going to see serious cold and snow this winter, and the most likely time is early to mid February.

In reference to your forecast this morning, you said Ulster "might" see snow on Thursday. Do you still stand by this or is it dead in the water? Thanks

We get more than our fair share of rain here to be fair, at least in dry, or sunny weather you can walk outside, the past few days if you leave the house here you get soaked. People are only 'in'-to their own preferences, as someone said on here if you take pleasure from this weather at the moment then I am happy that someone is. I do like the odd washout day but Im in dry winter mode at the moment. Il have plenty of time to enjoy the rain after the winter months.

18Z GFS sends high pressure to Greenland in FI and delivers some charts with amazing potential.

gfs-0-288.png?18

The Jackpot.

288 hours :P :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

gfs-0-288.png?18

The Jackpot.

288 hours :P :([/QUOTE]

Ohh Yeah oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah yeah yeah :D:D:D

0b0e26ba-5eed-4108-9277-557bceefd6f0.gif

Look at it all ya can now , itll be gone by morning ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

The further outlook is for a cool, breezy weekend, with occasional train or hail showers.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/
    Bloody hell :eek:

• Advertisement

How common is rain on this island though? Does it rain more often than it doesn't rain? I am pretty sure it dosn't rain as much as we generally think it does, in fact I wager that we get more sun than rain on average. ;)

What we can say with certainty, is that it rains far more often than it snows, hence why many here are mad for snow. if we were guaranteed three months of snow every year, then i think there would be less people posting in this thread- in fact the thread probably wouldn't exist.

FI charts a bit pointless when we can't even predict what's going to happen this weekend haha

Pangea wrote: »
    We get more than our fair share of rain here to be fair, at least in dry, or sunny weather you can walk outside, the past few days if you leave the house here you get soaked. People are only 'in'-to their own preferences, as someone said on here if you take pleasure from this weather at the moment then I am happy that someone is. I do like the odd washout day but Im in dry winter mode at the moment. Il have plenty of time to enjoy the rain after the winter months.

But you can walk outside when it is raining, and if you don't enjoy getting wet, bring a brolly! :) Equally, if it is snowing heavily, people tend not to venture outside, and if significant snow has accumulated, then some people can become trapped in their own homes. Why is it so bad if rain does this but not snow? Don't get me wrong, some dry windy weather would be nice to help dry up the place a bit but we are not going to get that in the usual 'cool & bright' weather that is forecast. This will not help to ease the waterlogged countryside, there will be no drying in it whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

notnumber wrote: »
    The further outlook is for a cool, breezy weekend, with occasional train or hail showers.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/
    Bloody hell :eek:
    Yeah. We noticed this earlier. That page is really messy.

But you can walk outside when it is raining, and if you don't enjoy getting wet, bring a brolly! :) Equally, if it is snowing heavily, people tend not to venture outside, and if significant snow has accumulated, then some people can become trapped in their own homes. Why is it so bad if rain does this but not snow?

Because snow ROCKS! :D
    As for the rain, your feet and trousers get wet too, not just the brolly.
    Anyway these are factors are just trivial , what really matters is your preference, as Nacho said rain is common here, and snow simply is not.
    Its all subjective at the end of the day, no matter what pros or cons each weather throws up people cant help liking what they like.

I do think that eventually we are going to see serious cold and snow this winter, and the most likely time is early to mid February.

351e14p.gif

well i must be off to bed. if the snow does come i'll be having even less sleep. hopefully i'll wake up to see that the ecm has moved towards the gfs soultion in fi.

Ah its at times like this you would miss some of our former posters , hopefully they will be back , as I just mentioned in the FI thread , models are struggling past 96-120 so take anything after that very lightly , even if suits what you are looking for , it will make the fall a lot easier :p

Id bloody give anything to see that RTE presenter( Paul Cunningham) out in that hat again or something like it this winter , it would bring a tear to a glass eye :cool:

18Z GFS ensembles for the east coast.

XttoE.jpg

- Op run was never a cold outlier at any point.
    - After the 14th the mean never gets back above 0.
    - Lots of members dipping into the -5 to -10 range, some even colder than -10.

Very nice indeed.

Will probably all change again on the 0Z of course. But this is the ramp thread, right?! :P

• Advertisement

What we can say with certainty, is that it rains far more often than it snows, hence why many here are mad for snow.

Perhaps :) but we still get much more sun than rain yet we panic when we actually get a couple of days of light rain!

Frivolity aside, I sometimes wonder is our pretty obvious disdain for cloud and rain shaped by society and culture rather than anything from a more personal stance. Life as we know it would not exist without rain, yet somehow we automatically view cloudy rainy weather as being somehow bad. Maybe a bit like when reciting the nursery rhyme 'Humpty Dumpty' where most of us will probably get an image of an egg sitting on a wall in our heads even though the word 'egg' in never once mentioned in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement