Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

I would not like to be an expert/pro weather guy right now! I can see a huge potential for egg on face or GLORY out there for those brave enough to call it for the next 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Yeah, a thread about the IOM Shadow !! :D

And a lack of snow for Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Can anyone explain Shannon entropy? Just when I thought I was getting my head around the various inputs!

Never mind, the wiki is fine, well it isnt fine actually, it gave me brain freeze but I see what theyre on about. I thought it was someone having a dig at our our westerly radar ;)

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain Shannon entropy? Just when I thought I was getting my head around the various inputs!

Never mind, the wiki is fine, well it isnt fine actually, it gave me brain freeze but I see what theyre on about. I thought it was someone having a dig at our our westerly radar ;)

From my maths and data modeling days, Shannon entropy is a measure of the unpredictability in a random variable.

So if they are saying it is high then basically it means the models haven't a handle on anything at all, as we know the slight change in a variable in a model can lead to huge changes downstream

That is why FI is so much fun today, -16 uppers over Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Spindle wrote: »

Yipeeeeeeeeee! Get on the super slippery snow slide! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

But uncertainty now at all time record high levels.

(Ian Fergusson)

I find that comment just a little bit silly TBH. He is talking about model output beyond 10 days, so how on earth can he quantify that?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

So in layman terms....what the forecast lads??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Super hoop wrote: »

For when?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Jesus, did the GFS take a time machine back to Jan '47? UKMO backs the GFS at t144. As does the JMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

For when?
    The next 10-15 days.are we looking and another event similar to 2010?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

http://www.independent.ie/weather/winter-returns-with-a-vengeance-as-dramatically-colder-weather-forecast-3346779.html

The forecast from the Daily Independenmailxpress will tell you everything you need to know

'Beast from the East'. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I find that comment just a little bit silly TBH. He is talking about model output beyond 10 days, so how on earth can he quantify that?

The UK Met Office have a software package called Decider, meant to give guidance for forecasters. Shannon Entropy is one of the graphs in the output.

fysmn.jpg
    FVrZr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Spindle wrote: »
    From my maths and data modeling days, Shannon entropy is a measure of the unpredictability in a random variable.

So if they are saying it is high then basically it means the models haven't a handle on anything at all, as we know the slight change in a variable in a model can lead to huge changes downstream

h850t850euca2cdspg288.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

Super hoop wrote: »

Colder than its been with a strong chance it may get even colder mid term then signals of being exceptionally cold later.

Basically dont put your winter clothes away just yet! :D

Larbre34 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/weather/winter-returns-with-a-vengeance-as-dramatically-colder-weather-forecast-3346779.html

The forecast from the Daily Independenmailxpress will tell you everything you need to know

'Beast from the East'. FFS
    But the indications from the Met Office is that any relief will be short lived because colder conditions will prevail between January 21 and February 4, bringing the “risks of colder than average conditions and wintry weather”

Tbf, it's what MT wrote...so I guess they could be right about that bit :s
    FURTHER OUTLOOK ... Several mild days again but hints of a more intense cold spell to follow ... still thinking February might be "the" month but the wintry spell could arrive just before January ends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

Currently it does not look likely an interim milder period of weather might occur although it is one option. The forecast overall remains the same. Increasingly cold from tomorrow right through to the end of the weekend at which point it's more likely to get colder but there is also a smaller chance of more normal Atlantic conditions returning. Basically we don't know what happens after the weekend but likelihood is colder conditions prevail. For the moment looking at the models I can only diverge from MT's forecast though that might change by tomorrow regarding next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

But is this cold weather for the country as a whole or just the East coast? Could it still be milder on the south coast?

Arrrrghh this is so frustrating!!

red_bairn wrote: »
    Tbf, it's what MT wrote...so I guess they could be right about that bit :s

Hmm, just at a guess, but I presume they just pulled all there info from online forums including this one.

On a side note we could pay the Germany Met service some money to name what hopefully will be our easterly the "Beast from the East" then at least it would be officially called that!

BMW did it last year, but they might have regretted the one they picked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16852429

leahyl wrote: »
    But is this cold weather for the country as a whole or just the East coast? Could it still be milder on the south coast?

No, it's countrywide. You will really notice the difference at night. The East will see the most of precipitation (but not exclusively) but that detail is not there yet. Give it another 24 hrs for a more accurate forecast on the models. I would expect some wintry precipitation near east coasts and in to the midlands on current output. But everywhere the main difference will be the return of frost or ice. It will feel notably different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

No, it's countrywide. You will really notice the difference at night. The East will see the most of precipitation (but not exclusively) but that detail is not there yet. Give it another 24 hrs for a more accurate forecast on the models. I would expect some wintry precipitation near east coasts and in to the midlands on current output. But everywhere the main difference will be the return of frost or ice. It will feel notably different.

Ok :( Not exactly what I wanted to hear because as you may or may not know I am a snow ADDICT! :pac: But never mind - you'd never know what might happen!

• Advertisement

It couldn't be more impossible to know right now.

I wouldn't worry about it. Could still easily end up with no cold at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wouldn't worry about it. Could still easily end up with no cold at all!

webquest-soccer-red-card1.jpg

red card

oh_well.gif

Not exactly what I wanted to hear because as you may or may not know I am a snow ADDICT!

coke_cat_freak.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I must say if I was in charge of the UK Met I'd be telling Ian F to stop these posts. He is making them look silly by broadcasting their internal private deliberations. Already in the last day he has basically let all NW forum users that the UK did a complete volte face overnight on what is going to happen. That makes them look foolish. We wouldn't have known this from their public output.

His posts are great for us bystanders mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I must say if I was in charge of the UK Met I'd be telling Ian F to stop these posts. He is making them look silly by broadcasting their internal private deliberations. Already in the last day he has basically let all NW forum users that the UK did a complete volte face overnight on what is going to happen. That makes them look foolish. We wouldn't have known this from their public output.

He has permission from them though to do this !

winter-is-coming-meme-generator-winter-is-coming-check-snow-tires-5e2d37.jpg

All he is doing is relaying information that been given to help the likes of him inform the public about the forecast anyway. I don't see the harm in going into a bit more detail for an enthusiast forum. He has mentioned in posts several times about checking to see what he can and can't say anyway.

I think it's the computer models making humans looks silly more than anything at the moment. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

After viewing this mornings ECM followed by GFS....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

t|nt|n wrote: »
    He has permission from them though to do this !

I hadn't clicked that. If you are reading Ian, my apologies!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement