Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

All he is doing is relaying information that been given to help the likes of him inform the public about the forecast anyway. I don't see the harm in going into a bit more detail for an enthusiast forum. He has mentioned in posts several times about checking to see what he can and can't say anyway.

I think it's the computer models making humans looks silly more than anything at the moment. ;)

We would not be complaining if Jean Byrne was on here for some one to ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

We would not be complaining if Jean Byrne was on here for some one to ones!

Jaysus I got excited there :oD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Separately, and I know I'm being hugely optimistic here, are we gone past the point where there could be model upgrades allowing that low that reaches us, and then slips south over us, on Saturday to have back edge snow arising from the incoming colder eastern air it meets? I know at present the model show temps way too high for this but given all of the uncertainty....?

Separately, and I know I'm being hugely optimistic here, are we gone past the point where there could be model upgrades allowing that low that reaches us, and then slips south over us, on Saturday to have back edge snow arising from the incoming colder eastern air it meets? I know at present the model show temps way too high for this but given all of the uncertainty....?

Keep the faith, as far as I know upgrades can happen in the very short term. I am sure others would have some examples

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Jaysus I got excited there :oD

Jeans getting ready for the GFS 12z to begin rolling out!

12807180160384979mqtx1v.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Have not heard Dec 90 mentioned before ,

Have to say I am loving the insight from Ian Ferguson

The latter is the guidance I've been given (messy mix of rain, sleet, snow).
    Incidentally - after an interesting conversation about where we may be heading, with my learned mentor this morning (!), he suggests take a look at Dec 1990 for what he considers a close analogy to what we have currently developing. He suggests I pull up the archives for this, but will do so when I get a moment.

Cheers
    Ian

Incidentally - after an interesting conversation about where we may be heading, with my learned mentor this morning (!), he suggests take a look at Dec 1990 for what he considers a close analogy to what we have currently developing. He suggests I pull up the archives for this, but will do so when I get a moment.

Cheers
    Ian

Ok !

archivesnh-1990-12-8-12-2.png

Cheers
    Ian

Presumably he is referencing here the Feb 91 cold spell which must have been preceeded by similarly all over the shop model guidance in Dec '90 and Jan 91?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

At 60 hours on the 12Z GFS that little low to our west is more intense. Wonder if that will make any difference later (for the weekend).

It's not much different at 84 hours though, so maybe not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

Positive changes so far this run. Rain may turn to sleet on Saturday and synoptic features are that bit better.

A front straggling the east is under pressure from a cold east wind. One to watch.

Rtavn962.png

• Advertisement

Short term upgrade for the weekend on the 12Z GFS. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

My continuous mouse clicking seems to have worked this time round! :D

upgrade-big.jpg

Chance of snow in the east/southeast Saturday night / Sunday morning on the 12Z GFS.

-8 uppers into the southeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

This is from M.E. today..

"Saturday: Cold and windy with just wintry showers.

There will be frost and icy patches Friday night and Saturday night but there is a possibility of cloudy, milder weather again moving in from the Atlantic during Sunday and Sunday night bringing temperatures back up to between 8 and 12 degrees for next week with some wet and windy spells likely."

And now for the main event...will the 12Z send high pressure to Greenland or not...

And now for the main event...will the 12Z send high pressure to Greenland or not...

132 is pretty good. Drift south on the jet. LP's to north coming south. Chances are this will be an over all upgrade to colder conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Well it hasnt gone the way of the ECM at t144! Fingers crossed!

UKMO backs the GFS at t144. ECM on it's own? The two episodes seem to blending to one... i have a feeling something might be creeping up on us...

EXCELLENT increasingly cold 12Z UKMO:) Enhanced prospect for some snow from the initial easterly 96 - 120hrs and 144hrs only going one way. Good stuff. I expect weathercheck to come out of hibernation any time now.

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    UKMO backs the GFS at t144. ECM on it's own? The two episodes seem to blending to one... i have a feeling something might be creeping up on us...

Too many decent runs at this stage to ignore coming to one conclusion! Cold :D

• Advertisement

Better ridging out to 168. Not sure yet if we will get a Greenland high or not in FI, it looks like it might be a toppler.... but it's been a good run up to FI anyway, and it hasn't followed the ECM which is important. And neither has the UKMO at 144.

ECM this evening will be very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

eeeeeeeek

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Very exciting stuff! Don't you just love it when this happens!:D

Rtavn18617.png

Nippy.

The UK would do VERY well, -10 850hpa temps by 180 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

It's going to be warm & cloudy this weekend & then a heatwave around the 20th till March! every time I mention the 'S' word it does a runner east. So it's warm & cloudy Atlantic muck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Really really need the greenland high, in the short term we'll be on the wrong side of the battle ground this weekend. More importantly for our longer term prospects it's going to be a long 2 hours to see if the ECM drops the 0z idea :cool:

Uh oh... gone very wrong in FI! 850hpa temps dont reach -12. Ah well, next winter! :pac:

Another cracking FI on the 12Z GFS with huge potential.

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebelbrowser
    t|nt|n wrote: »
    Keep the faith, as far as I know upgrades can happen in the very short term. I am sure others would have some examples

We is prophets I tells ya!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement