Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Given the easterly influence what 850 hpa temps do we need for snow? I'm talking in particular here about this weekend. If you believe the GFS precipitation charts (I generally don't) it'll be a snow event (and in fact will snow for the next 10 days afterwards!).

Any thoughts? Will -6's do it?

It's not just uppers, you'd want dew point temps 0 or below too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Thanks Maq. Any thoughts on how we are looking on that front or are we too far out still to see such things?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Maq - could I get a link to DP charts - gone rusty since Dec 10 !! Coming bak out of retirement ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Control....... ohh balls! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

gfs-1-252.png?18

grumpy-cat-approves_o_1013495.jpg

Even Tardar sauce approves!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

You'd want -8 c 850 temps and lower in this flow for sea level snow.
    Dp's coming from that source are likely to be OK.

At the height of the Nov Dec 2010 spell,we had sea level snow at times,with 850 temps of -2 iirc but that was because the longevity of it and the snow cover gave us our own surface cold pool,so no layer of the atmosphere from 5000ft to sea level was warm enough to turn it to rain.

18Z GFS control run once again doesn't support the op and at first glance the mean is even worse than the 12Z. ffs.... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

18Z GFS control run once again doesn't support the op and at first glance the mean is even worse than the 12Z. ffs.... :rolleyes:

Another cold outlier ?

This actually has me miffed , the ECM ens gave good support on its run ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭halkar

What is all this mean in plain English?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

noooo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Whats the difference between the Operational and control runs??

Very very little ensemble support. Lets hope the low res isnt handling that energy coming through southern greenland at 130 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Netweather is back up. :) tons of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

it's alive, ALIVE ALIVE :D:D:D

oterra wrote: »

Same data but run at a lower resolution, same resolution as the other ensemble members. Seems that it might be a feature only modelled correctly in the higher resolution that leads to us getting the desired blocking. Thats just a guess though. But it doesn't really explain then why the ensembles were looking better for blocking before the 12Z.

oterra wrote: »

I learned this earlier! :) The control is run at a lower resolution that the op with the same input data. The order 20 members are all lower resolution but with altered input data.

Same data but run at a lower resolution, same resolution as the other ensemble members. Seems that it might be a feature only modelled correctly in the higher resolution that leads to us getting the desired blocking. Thats just a guess though. But it doesn't really explain then why the ensembles were looking better for blocking before the 12Z.

Any why do the ECM ens support the op. It is strange that there is so much cross model support but the GEFS is doing what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I knew I should have gone to bed a couple of posts ago before someone came up with a down ramp!!! DRAT DRAT !and DOUBLE DRAT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    I learned this earlier! :) The control is run at a lower resolution that the op with the same input data. The order 20 members are all lower resolution but with altered input data.

I learned about it earlier too ;) Nothing like a day like today to force education.

This is what I found in regards the ECM ensembles/control run.
    http://www.weathercast.co.uk/services/ensemble-forecast.html

• Advertisement

Actually, further into FI and the ensembles are now actually a bit better than on the 12Z for blocking.

Actually, further into FI and the ensembles are now actually a bit better than on the 12Z for blocking.

Is that you trying to give me something to cling to so that I don't have nightmares about wet manky rainy weather heading our way instead of snow????

eskimocat wrote: »
    Is that you trying to give me something to cling to so that I don't have nightmares about wet manky rainy weather heading our way instead of snow????

Hah, only a small bit better, not much difference really.

But I just saw someone saying this in NW, I don't know if its true or not but if it is it might explain things.
    The ecm ens are at a higher resolution and they are on message.

Panic waned a bit now. Phewww

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Dew points are fine on Sunday, and the 528 dam line is just about ok for most (in the absence of Su Campu someone needs to mention this - I draw the line at theta whatchamacallit measurements though).

Snow this weekend please!

Had this playing in the back ground for the past couple of mins... it seemed to be appropriate!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

Let's not get carried a way. Still risks in the evolution. Fingers crossed. Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Let's not get carried a way. Still risks in the evolution. Fingers crossed. Night.

At this stage I think your a bit late saying that bud! :D

Im one of these infrequent visitors to here save for the times when snow is a possibility.

I really have no clue what the charts mean or even the explanations of said charts.

Can anyone in the know please explain?

Is it going to snow this weekend? Or soon?

Thanks

• Advertisement

This one might be more appropriate so!!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement