Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

esposito wrote: »
    You just know its gonna be s**t.
    Better to lower expectations now. Milder next week, lets face it

There should be mandatory banning for this kind of talk.. ;)

Have faith. The next run is going to be EPIC.. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Squeaky bum time with ECM 12Z coming up soon ;) A crucial run with hopefully a continuation of the trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Got a link?

Oh wait, from Saturday evening, I misread as Sunday evening.
    There is som precip there Saturday but it's before the colder air gets here.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

Saganist wrote: »
    Great Username. Welcome to Boards. :pac:

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

How the GFS 12z en mean is looking at 168. (MSLP) This would suggest that the 12z op was fair sized outlier and that the majority of its ensembles would continue to favour slacker, ridge (or col) type conditions be more dominant for next week. ECMWF will be interesting to see, and I would be very surprised it it showed any significant back track tbh.

235596.png

Unnerving times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

esposito wrote: »
    You just know its gonna be s**t.
    Better to lower expectations now. Milder next week, lets face it

Maybe so. But there is still enough uncertainty that I'm not throwing the towel in just yet. At least have to wait for the ECM this evening.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Squeaky bum time......

Indeed! :) Touching cloth here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Usually just lurk on this forum but I have to thank you all for explaining in layman's what all these charts and info mean.

Ah yeah, the problem with that is that its a precip chart for a huge area so a small bit of precip gets represented by a much larger graphic. It looks like there is more precip than there actually is.

Use one like this, shows just the UK and Ireland, easier to see.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prec&HH=9&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

If we do get snow over the weekend and it is lying snow i would not be surprised to see some very cold temptress over the nights maybe -8/-12 this cold would make for some great battle ground snow events if milder air does move in from the west ,what are other peoples views on this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ME update

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/
    Widespread rain and sleet is likely for much of Monday, with snow possible down to low levels and perhaps accumulating in places. This will clear overnight into Tuesday; severe frost will result and ice or lying snow will persist. Tuesday and Wednesday will both be very cold with ongoing severe night frosts persisting into daylight hours. Most of the country will be dry but easterly breezes are likely to bring wintry showers to eastern counties later with further snowfall possible there.

Thats a rather dubious forecast at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats a rather dubious forecast at this point.

They are only going by this mornings ECM 0z , if the 12z changes so will the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I know I'm a broken record on this but the run of the model we are worried about, namely GFS 12z, is showing snow in my area (and most areas in a east line from Kenmare to Belfast) from Saturday evening to Monday afternoon. That's a fair wad of snow forecast within the next 100 hours. All I will say is may all the "horror show" runs for the rest of the winter be as "bad" as it!

(and yes I know it won't snow from Sat evening to Monday, and I know Cork is more marginal than most, etc, etc, etc - but this is what the 12z GFS is showing....)

Hi-res GFS shows mostly dry conditions over the weekend, only useful as a rough guide but I've seen the word snowmageddon a few times and that it definitely wont be!

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=6&LOOP=1&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=

Edit: Sorry didn't see maq's reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

A reminder of what Dec 2010 Polar Vortex looked like minus a SSW

archivesnh20101216120.png

ZX7R wrote: »
    If we do get snow over the weekend and it is lying snow i would not be surprised to see some very cold temptress over the nights maybe -8/-12 this cold would make for some great battle ground snow events if milder air does move in from the west ,what are other peoples views on this

I dunno if we will see it get that cold this weekend. But yeah, a battlefield type event where we are on the winning side would be very nice.

ECM at 96 looks to be going the UKMO route more than GFS route. Too early to call though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

It's even F-ing snow in the Lebanon...they can't drive for S in it tho haha
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/index.php?topic=3241.0&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Its down to 120 and 144, even it flattens get the toys ready to start throwing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Weathering wrote: »
    It's even F-ing snow in the Lebanon...they can't drive for S in it tho haha
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/index.php?topic=3241.0&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

at least there's nobody sitting there spinning their wheels in first gear for 20 minutes wondering why they arent getting anywhere.

Its down to 120 and 144, even it flattens get the toys ready to start throwing!

Better than the GFS at 120, not quite the same as the UKMO now though. 144 will be interesting.

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »
    at least there's nobody sitting there spinning their wheels in first gear for 20 minutes wondering why they arent getting anywhere.

ahhhh right

In the near term, ECM doesn't look as cold for Ireland at the weekend as the GFS.

In the near term, ECM doesn't look as cold for Ireland at the weekend as the GFS.

It has at 120 more of Ireland under -4 all academic at those timescales :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

Excellent ECM so far. Risk prolonged sleet or snow on Sunday night/Monday.

144 going to be a cracker.

ecm1144l.gif

nicolas-cage-feel-good-man-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-188.gif

Snowfest for the UK at 144.

Thankfully, it's much better than the GFS, we live to fight another round. Would like to see those heights strengthen though!

Jizzing on netweather. so what the hell then guys good ecm bad gfs
    haha what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

ecm1144l.gif

nicolas-cage-feel-good-man-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-188.gif
    Game on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

ECM playing ball, Wouldn't mind being in the UK for that +144hr chart

• Advertisement

Wow. Crazy chart.