Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

derekon wrote: »
    Well folks, looks like MT Cranium was correct in his views. The 0z ECM has just rolled out and following yesterdays stunning 12z from the ECM (which showed -8 uppers over Ireland for nearly a week) ........................the whole thing has gone tits up with no prospect of snow this weekend and the Atlantic winning.

What to say?

D

You only seem to pop up when something mild is maybe showing on the models just like a wee daffodill :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

You only seem to pop up when something mild is maybe showing on the models just like a wee daffodill :-)

Thanks for the compliment :) My weather preference by the way is cold and snowy, not mild :D

D

However a disastrous ECM this morning for Ireland's snow prospects at the weekend.

Thanks for the compliment :) My weather preference by the way is cold and snowy, not mild :D

D

However a disastrous ECM this morning for Ireland's snow prospects at the weekend.

Although wobbely all charts can go anyway after 96 hrs, we could still be right in the middle of a warm cold battleground, but a brief mild blip is bound to happen somewhere down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Massive result for GFS - stuck to its guns all trough and now the others are following suit.
    In future it may prove the defacto standard when models are being consulted. Big back-track from ECM.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

kstand wrote: »
    Massive result for GFS - stuck to its guns all trough and now the others are following suit.
    In future it may prove the defacto standard when models are being consulted. Big back-track from ECM.

I agree Kstand - I think that has been the lesson of this winter. The GFS picked up the mild signal correctly back in December, defying the other models. It has done so again and would appear to be right.

A major coup for the GFS which should be taken more seriously going forward, particularly in terms of winter weather.

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I think it someone here said. If one model says zonal, we get zonal.... GFS first spotted cold and everyone else followed, then it found mild (ish) now it looks like its setting the trend again...

Really hoping MT is on to something, for Feb...

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

I agree Kstand - I think that has been the lesson of this winter. The GFS picked up the mild signal correctly back in December, defying the other models. It has done so again and would appear to be right.

A major coup for the GFS which should be taken more seriously going forward, particularly in terms of winter weather.

D
    A major coup for the GFS as you stated all right.Its a pity though cos there was great potential in the ECM charts

A major coup for the GFS as you stated all right.Its a pity though cos there was great potential in the ECM charts

It is a pity but people cant blame GFS, all it did was give us the most accurate forecast, however much people didnt want it. Crazy what was going on the last few days with peol,e discarding it in favour of ECM purely because ECM gave them what they wnated to see.
    A long way to go yet, we're only coming to the middle of winter now.

It is a pity but people cant blame GFS, all it did was give us the most accurate forecast, however much people didnt want it. Crazy what was going on the last few days with peol,e discarding it in favour of ECM purely because ECM gave them what they wnated to see.
    A long way to go yet, we're only coming to the middle of winter now.

Its not over yet by a long shot. Still another few runs to go before people should start writing off models. Its a mess that can go anywhere.

Its not over yet by a long shot. Still another few runs to go before people should start writing off models. Its a mess that can go anywhere.

If youy had to put your shirt on it, which way would you see it going?

• Advertisement

More of a transitional battle between mild and cold over us until cold winning out. The models will end up meeting somewhere in the middle for now until the cold wins out. But nothing really mild for the foreseeable future. Could be wrong as a lot of people will be over the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Very hard to call which way it will go but its a lot more interesting at the moment and with the effects of SSW to come into play yet you would have yo fancy a decent cold spell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The models seem to change every day so who is to say they wont change again. Still only Thursday morning, a lot could change in the next few days. That being said odds are always against Ireland and uk getting much snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

A lot of conflicting views as to the model output. Unless very clear cross model agreement exists within 48 hours and even 24 period there is always uncertainty in this part of the world for any cold spell as a small change can scupper everything. The UK Met Office are sitting on the fence and Met Eireann have not gone beyond Monday which is wise in the circumstances. The effects of the much referred to SSW are keeping peoples hopes alive but this is very uncertain if it will drive anything in our direction.

Very hard to call which way it will go but its a lot more interesting at the moment and with the effects of SSW to come into play yet you would have yo fancy a decent cold spell

I read somewhere a couple of days ago that the SSW's full effects would not be felt for a full 10 days or there abouts - which could tie in with MTs forecast for the end of the month.

Yes, quite a lot of variables but we are now getting into a more reliable timeframe. We should know a fair deal more by midnight either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Guessed i'd wake up to this situation. The GFS seems to track that atlantic battlefront better for some reason.

Big let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Come one lads, we are used to this by now !

Personally I am excited about the SSW filtering down, I am expecting big changes in the next while

Exciting times !

In any case, if it snowed none of us would see it cause we would all be on here looking at charts for more snow :D:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Posted this in the model forum , but think some could do with looking at this again before calling it :

Looking through this , people saying the ECM has massively backtracked I think are wrong

ECM 24

8ye004.jpg
    ECM 48

16a8ffp.jpg

ECM 96

30lnbzp.jpg

ECM 120

svm96w.jpg

Good post PP

I am not really seeing the doom and gloom when looking at the charts !

Plus the GFS still has the brief eastern seaboard cold snap for the weekend.

Thats all we can hope for now, anything out further than that is up in the air of you will excuse the pun :pac:

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Good post PP

I am not really seeing the doom and gloom when looking at the charts !

Plus the GFS still has the brief eastern seaboard cold snap for the weekend.

Thats all we can hope for now, anything out further than that is up in the air of you will excuse the pun :pac:

Can't see the forest for the trees :D the big picture is yet to be fully revealed, hang tight

• Advertisement

Can't see the forest for the trees :D the big picture is yet to be fully revealed, hang tight

Its is very difficult to work out what is going on for new people here, thats whats sad.

No more knee jerk reactions guys !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I've no scientific basis for this at all (but this is the ramping thread)...

I've a niggling feeling that in a further hilarious twist the 6z GFS might look colder again. We will know in an hour....

I've a niggling feeling that in a further hilarious twist the 6z GFS might look colder again. We will know in an hour....

All part of the fun like !

And if it goes wrong then I declare the 06z as useful as a chocolate teapot ! ha

It may well do. I read somewhere that this run and the 18z GFS are not as reliable due to Balloon data not being gathered for these runs but are for the other two. It won't be definitive if it does go colder but just continue the uncertainty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 The Ferrit

This thread is more like the bi-Polar express than the Polar express!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Min wrote: »
    Joe Bastardi ‏@BigJoeBastardi My gosh, this is going to cause unspeakable hardship in much of Russia and Europe.Severe cold on way,pray they r ready

Pray has proven to be a fruitless exercise TBH. In the past the Russians have taken advantage of severe winters to defeat and slaughter Western Armies, and event their machines could run on fuels and oils that just froze in enemy tanks.

Hmmm, I've a feeling they can take good care of themselves.

It may well do. I read somewhere that this run and the 18z GFS are not as reliable due to Balloon data not being gathered for these runs but are for the other two. It won't be definitive if it does go colder but just continue the uncertainty!!

Lets save that pearl for if / when it shows mild weather. Then we can write it off on that basis whilst making knowing references to shortwaves, MJO phases, SSWs, NOGAPs and the JHBKFA (yes - I make that last one up).

gbee wrote: »
    Pray has proven to be a fruitless exercise TBH. In the past the Russians have taken advantage of severe winters to defeat and slaughter Western Armies, and event their machines could run on fuels and oils that just froze in enemy tanks.

Hmmm, I've a feeling they can take good care of themselves.

I note Joe didn't specify where in Europe either. Not exactly putting your neck on the block to say it will be v cold somewhere in Europe in mid January...

JHBKFA - the Jolly Hopeful But Knowing F**k All grouping?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

-6 uppers in the northeast for a while (+60 to +72) in the GFS 6Z run.

Exhaustion among many now I suspect...........

boop_boop.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement