Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

So how's it looking for the east and north east of Ireland, snow wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Post some charts, stuck on my phone here !

gfs-0-156.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

We need to be able to build high pressure north though. Otherwise it just delays the Atlantic. Need blocking.

A backtrack by the GFS in the last two runs today. ECM hasn't backed down. Who would have guessed that we still wouldn't have an answer tonight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

barney 20v wrote: »
    I reckon we have very limited chances of significant snowfall in Ireland,even the east coast will struggle .

We gotta take the positives guys, 12 hours ago people were saying "Game Over" and now we find ourselves back in the game and it stays cold where it was showing mild SW's. There has been a shift west of the cold in the short term and hopefully that will continue. 100 miles shift west and we are in Business!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I doubt we'll even have the answers 2moro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Post some charts, stuck on my phone here !

ECM 120

ecm500120.png

GFS

h500slp.png

Spot the difference ECM vs GFS at 120, still room for improvement on GFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Definite upgrade. Has moved toward ECM but not quite there yet.

Little comfort to be derived from that, the ECM wasn't exactly fantastic at that stage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

We gotta take the positives guys, 12 hours ago people were saying "Game Over" and now we find ourselves back in the game and it stays cold where it was showing mild SW's. There has been a shift west of the cold in the short term and hopefully that will continue. 100 miles shift west and we are in Business!!
    Don't get me wrong, I really really want snow! I even bought a Subaru impreza awd just on the off chance we might get some snow ala 2010.
    But I think we are too far west for any more than glancing blows up until Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

300 + posts since around noon, and 450 viewers on now... surely that has to mean that the flop flipped again... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

The 18z ensembles will hopefully get us over the line again :)

5shDi.png

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Here is a tip for new people

Yellow Further West GOOD
    Yellow Further East Bad

Yellow Go up to Greenland/Iceland Good
    Blue come from Greenland/Iceland Bad
    Where Good means Snow? Yeah?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

We just need a little push west and bingo... but wow most England could be in for a right dumping of snow...

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    A backtrack by the GFS in the last two runs today. ECM hasn't backed down. Who would have guessed that we still wouldn't have an answer tonight?

The neverending rollercoaster. Massive upgrade for the UK. We really need blocking though.

DeVore wrote: »
    Where Good means Snow? Yeah?? :)

Where good means the distinction between positive and negative, things look more positive for cold and whatever that may bring! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭compsys

You can't help but feel that the cold on all those GFS charts is only hanging on by a thread. Even for the extreme East coast.

0 850 hpa temps i.e. average temps are never that far away.

Anyway, we wait in hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

h500slp.png

who wins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The neverending rollercoaster. Massive upgrade for the UK. We really need blocking though.

Yeah heights are as weak as water up North
    AO seems to want to tank but isn't assisted by 'proper' height rises over Greenland
    It's a move in the right direction, the 00z's will be vital

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

Little comfort to be derived from that, the ECM wasn't exactly fantastic at that stage either.

ECM is classic stuff. Much colder than it looks at 120 hrs. Have to go back to 80's for charts like those. At one stage or another most would see snow by 144 hrs. Good news GFS now shifting. UKMO goes from one of the best for us to the worst ironically enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TeaCup2

Yeah heights are as weak as water up North
    AO seems to want to tank but isn't assisted by 'proper' height rises over Greenland
    It's a move in the right direction, the 00z's will be vital

The next run is always the vital one :D

compsys wrote: »
    You can't help but feel that the cold on all those GFS charts is only hanging on by a thread. Even for the extreme East coast.

0 850 hpa temps i.e. average temps are never that far away.

Anyway, we wait in hope.

disagree-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-571.gif

• Advertisement

It's an upgrade here too. I expect the ensemble mean for Dublin to plummet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

ECM is classic stuff. Much colder than it looks at 120 hrs. Have to go back to 80's for charts like those. At one stage or another most would see snow by 144 hrs. Good news GFS now shifting. UKMO goes from one of the best for us to the worst ironically enough.

i have a feeling we will barley miss out.

i have a feeling we will barley miss out.

Miss out on what? Chill out (!). We have a proper shot here next week:cool:

P.S risk of snow on Sunday particularly in the east increasing.

SE England still have -6 uppers at 192 hours. Those jammy....:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Worst case scenario is a big possibility now with the UK in the freezer and us in no man's land just like last year. This has been some roller-coaster ride all week. Where and when it will end is anyones guess.

It's an upgrade here too. I expect the ensemble mean for Dublin to plummet.

It's a definite positive step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Worst case scenario we all go to the west coast and try paddle the island east. That or move to Kent

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Scandinavia and Mid Atlantic Blocking forming in deep FI! Lol! :D

(http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=360&mode=0&carte=1)

Worst case scenario is a big possibility now with the UK in the freezer and us in no man's land just like last year. This has been some roller-coaster ride all week. Where and when it will end is anyones guess.

I'm going to have nightmares tonight of heavy rain in Ireland moving east and turning to masses of battlefield snow in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Worst case scenario we all go to the west coast and try paddle the island east. That or move to Kent

Kent?

First+time+I+ever+laughed+out+loud+at+this+meme+_403530bfe915351968c9a9453a434210.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement