Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

ZX7R wrote: »
    Is it not also droping down into eastren russia also, witch would it not put us into a north north east air flow,I could be wrong on this.
    Too far away,
    we absolutely need the atlantic to take some novacaine.
    Anyhow enough said,it's all speculation at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

gme066.png

Not too shabby, lets hope the GFS follows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

whitebriar wrote: »
    we absolutely need the atlantic to take some novacaine.

Problem is, the Atlantic is far from active, and has not been for a good many months. Some of the biggest snowfalls in this country have occurred when the Atlantic has been very active.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

don't think we will see much in the way of snow in Ireland next week apart from on higher ground.
    M.T is probably right when he says we will have to wait a little while longer.
    been based in Scandinavia for the last number of years and whenever there has been decent cold snaps in Ireland due to easterlies temps have usually been very low here in Sweden.Temps aren't that low at the moment-hovering between zero and minus five here in the south of Sweden but are starting to drop gradually every day consistently now.Maybe in another week or so Ireland could be in the firing line and when the really cold continental air meets the atlantic air then you will be in for some fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

GFS 12z so far downgrades this weekend further. Even Britain struggling to get -8's.... Lets see in the longer term is any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks slightly better in key areas by 60 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

GFS 12z so far downgrades this weekend further. Even Britain struggling to get -8's.... Lets see in the longer term is any better.

Don't worry about the uppers - this weekend is a dead duck, more the pattern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Yes, upgrade south of Greenland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

66H looks better for cold but does anyone trust anything over 48h at the moment ?

gfs-1-66.png?12

This looks good bit better so far

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

Yes, much better early frames.

Frustrating. Looks like we can't build heights with that low between Iceland and Greenland at 84. I can't see a way forward with that there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Looks a lot better now , Im only 5 years doing this but have never witnessed anything like it , Yo-Yo model watching

Maq the hights look good at +66

gfsnh-0-66.png?12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Quite satisfied with the 12z si far, big big change compared to this morning's run

And south that low goes where she stops nobody knows!

This is just shwing the models don't have a clue - i expect more massive upgrades and downgrades.

Problem is, the Atlantic is far from active, and has not been for a good many months. Some of the biggest snowfalls in this country have occurred when the Atlantic has been very active.
    Ah yeah I understand, but from an imby point of view here in the East all bar one or two events were non Atlantic.
    Jan 82 delivered 10 ft drifts in Arklow something not seen since 1947,though I think further south in wexford had an event in 79.
    Whereas streamer activity delivered most of the decent snowy spells this side between this and then.

I take your point though,I'd have been better saying we need southerly tracking lows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

rbelmc wrote: »
    don't think we will see much in the way of snow in Ireland next week apart from on higher ground.
    M.T is probably right when he says we will have to wait a little while longer.
    been based in Scandinavia for the last number of years and whenever there has been decent cold snaps in Ireland due to easterlies temps have usually been very low here in Sweden.Temps aren't that low at the moment-hovering between zero and minus five here in the south of Sweden but are starting to drop gradually every day consistently now.Maybe in another week or so Ireland could be in the firing line and when the really cold continental air meets the atlantic air then you will be in for some fun

I agree with you. I worked in Scandinavia for a couple of years and when the easterly winds kick in there over a sustained period of time, you really notice the difference with the cooling over the large land mass. I couldnt get over the difference in temperature even between Malmo and Stockholm. Even Copenhagen always felt much colder because there always seemed to be a breeze compared to Stockholm where it was a drier cold and less windy but Stockholm would often be 5 - 10 degrees colder.

If the cold can build up over a period of time now in Northern and Eastern Europe and then we get the easterly wind, could be fun and games. My only regret back in December 2010 was that i didnt have a decent camera to capture the snow. Will never forget strolling thorugh stephens green on Christmas Eve and it was like walking through a winter wonderland. Not to mention the fountain on college green frozen. Would have been great to capture this major snow event, might never see anything like it again here. -8 degrees waking up on Christmas Day in Dublin

2e5c93fc5fcb277c88837e18ff8cc0456b36fd3798fa7b9224322fd72bb195e1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Looks like a push back west at 102h but that is so far out at this stage, anyway as for snow this weekend...

Looking better up there by 102 though. That low has weakened and heights rising. Will that energy coming in past the southern tip of Greenland help us or hinder us, this will be interesting....

• Advertisement

dacogawa wrote: »
    Looks like a push back west at 102h but that is so far out at this stage, anyway as for snow this weekend...

Continues at 108

Well from my earlier GME post the GFS has followed sinking that low south. Goes to show how much difference each run is producing only six hours apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

:D

235885.png

So tense , but GFS alot like ECM now! :)

This is much better stuff by the GFS.

This is pretty cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I'M STAYING CALM IM STAYING CALM!! ....

jonah-hill-shock.gif

Undercut anyone?

http://weatherandclimate.co.uk/charts/save/11011312120270010170-1.png

For leahyl before it goes.,not often you see that. :p