Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So guys what's the story?! :P It's absolutely pissing rain here at the moment anyway....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Stupidly deep depressions in the Atlantic around 340 hrs. Typical GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Harps wrote: »
    Time to give up on that one I think, there hasn't been any solid block projected for quite a while now and without one the Atlantic is always going to break through once it has a bit of energy. At least we've gotten a few potentially interesting days on Monday and Wednesday

If we see the same theme on the 0Z runs in the morning then it truely is game over for anything more than a very brief cold snap.

It's felt like a long, long rollercoaster ride. A lot of fun, but the wheels are rusty now, it's just about time to pull in and get off.

leahyl wrote: »
    So guys what's the story?! :P It's absolutely pissing rain here at the moment anyway....:mad:

Yeah, some very heavy bursts in the past half hour. The models have fallen back on the idea of cold sustaining itself, except for the UKMO. I expect it'll switch tomorrow, although I may be wrong.

No snow down here for the near future anyway! :(

This has been the story of the winter so far. Numerous possibilities for some incredible cold that have never materialised. Not ruling out it getting better but it seems unlikely for the next week or so.

Whose up for some drizzleball fights next weekend! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

If we see the same theme on the 0Z runs in the morning then it truely is game over for anything more than a very brief cold snap.

It's felt like a long, long rollercoaster ride. A lot of fun, but the wheels are rusty now, it's just about time to pull in and get off.

OMG seriously maq - that bad? :(

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Feck, if we get through this winter without any snow-fix it really will be the mother of all [snow] let-downs!!! I've had 8 years now of the 'chase' and none have had this much tension and drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

I thought january was ment to be the coldest month of winter in Ireland so wats the fu*king story

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Situation normal ..... we are too far west and that won't change.
    I can't say I have enjoyed following this all week.
    I know ye guys enjoy the chase etc but to me its all pointless tbh.
    Before I get bashed for being anti-snow etc I have stated here already that I love snow and all it brings... I guess I can't understand the fascination with charts etc... This week proved to me that the exercise is futile regarding Irish weather.
    happy hunting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

I thought january was ment to be the coldest month of winter in Ireland so wats the fu*king story

It's the 11th of January! Plenty of time for things to change yet. Nobody is saying that winter is over, just at present it looks like we'll only have a brief cold spell next week.

That could change again though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

FED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rampage-jackson-breaks-door-o.gif

Heading off to monitor southern hemisphere cyclone activity..............

It's the 11th of January! Plenty of time for things to change yet.

People have been saying that since December :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Not sure whether true or not but Uk met office are supposed to be backing Ukmo solution over other models?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

I love this Thread because you all know YOU WILL BE BACK when you sniff some cold in the air. Remember Feb is the Big Show starts according to MT and Co so until then!!!!

trolling-gifs-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1668.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

Mech1 wrote: »
    T

Im very grateful for your pm pistolpetes, but since the models are taking tangents should I not be allowed to invite the experts in for an opinion? if they dont show then whats the prob? Su Campo's opinion would be welcome to almost all of our followers.
    Thanks.

There's a reason it was a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Originally posted by Jaffusmaximus: I love this Thread because you all know YOU WILL BE BACK when you sniff some cold in the air. Remember Feb is the Big Show starts according to MT and Co so until then!!!!
    True Jaff. Darn it.......!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

We still have 20 days left of this month. Snow at this moment and time is a non starter. The Oz charts should make interesting reading. At least it looks like it will stay cold until Wednesday:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Not sure whether true or not but Uk met office are supposed to be backing Ukmo solution over other models?

Hard to know, but their fax chart at 120 hrs seems a little apart from the UKMO run (12z) for the same time period, which in itself is more similar to what the ECMWF was projecting yesterday strangely enough.

235980.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

That would be their model :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hard to know, but their fax chart at 120 hrs seems a little apart from the UKMO run (12z) for the same time period, which in itself is more similar to what the ECMWF was projecting yesterday strangely enough.

235980.PNG

They do heavily modify it though for the FAX charts

Its good to see though, models are grand but the human input is great

• Advertisement

Met e saying very cold for next week but staying dry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

My phone is telling me there will be sleet and snow in Sligo on 19/1, 20/1 23/1 and 24/1

One day of snow is happy days
    Two days is fun but kids throwing snow at you on street is annoying
    Three Days and your bloody cold and want it to end unless you write in this thread ..oops
    Four Days and your glad its the last day and mild weather is a novelty for a day and then you want day one again

Surely we will get one day and that will be nice

Also the rest of January will not really see the temperature going above 10c for the rest of the month so it is quite cold but just moderate and not severe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

The fax charts are broadly similar to the raw data

UW120-21.GIF?11-18

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The weekend looks like it will be chilly, the lowest values, probably in the low single figures, will in the East with Easterly or Northeasterly breezes. There will be a good deal of dry weather with some wintry sunshine but some showers also, these turning increasingly to sleet and snow especially on Sunday. Nights will be frosty with fog and ice.

At the moment Sunday night and the early days of next week brings the threat of more significant snow to places and it will feel very cold with the winds strengthening.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Goes to show you how long a week is in weather, seems ages ago since this forecast for next week , and to think its still only Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I can understand why the UK Met Office are sticking with that. Their MOGREPS ensembles show 17/23 with high pressure to the north of the UK on the 18th. 2/23 with a high over the UK, 1/23 with high pressure to the west and 3/23 with westerlies.

IMHO it's pretty unlikely given that GFS+ECM are roughly on the same page now by that time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

18z @96 hours looks like a real winner in terms of battleground. Could be some good snowfall over southern/western half of the country for a short period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Pffft Maq will be happy today- GFS says GAME ON!!! Amazing run with Ireland under -4c to -8/-9C uppers for well over 100 hours. :D.

BIG UPGRADE with serious SNOW potential.

EDIT : UKMO on board too! :O :D

Dan :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

18Z looking very positive so far for sustained cold in the short term and indeed possibly the long term

UKMO looks good too. GEM is the only chart not looking at sustained cold/wintry precip at the moment. ECM later on is going to be very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

18Z looking very positive so far for sustained cold in the short term and indeed possibly the long term

Just when you think that things are looking up... ECM says NO! :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement