Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake needed urgently!!

Options
  • 05-11-2012 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I need a 50th Birthday cake by Monday the 19th of November or Tuesday morning at the absolute latest. I understand completely that it is very short notice and The Cake Lady in Carney has already told me she is fully booked.

Can anyone recommend anyone in the Sligo area or not too far from Sligo that could make a cake at this short notice.

My basic idea is:

One cake = 5
    Other cake = 0

So that it 'reads' '50'

The 5 = Vanilla Maderia Sponge with a vanilla buttercream filling with a layer of jam and

The 0 = Chocolate Maderia Sponge with a chocolate/vanilla buttercream filling.

Both cakes to be covered in icing/fondant.

I have left messages with Karina's cakes in Castlebaldwin and Cake Rise (I think) in Letterkenny...confused at this stage but can't find anyone else.

On reading the above description if anyone could make an estimation on the cost also it would be much appreciated and let me know if my timescale is completely undoable! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

baker in Dromahair

Cake Expectations <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Caca milis in strandhill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

What are O'Heirs bakery like for celebration cakes? Does anyone know if they have an option for maderia sponge instead of the regular spongue - it always appears very false or light or something to me anytime I have tasted one from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

What are O'Heirs bakery like for celebration cakes? Does anyone know if they have an option for maderia sponge instead of the regular spongue - it always appears very false or light or something to me anytime I have tasted one from there...

In my own personal experience - I baked a lot of delicious cupcakes for a birthday of mine, and my mum, in typical Irish mammy fashion worried there wouldn't be enough (there was) bought a couple of cakes from O'Heirs. I don't think they're especially great at 'celebration' cakes, I agree with what you say about the sponge, I don't like it all all tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

being male probably too simplistic...

Is it possible to buy the basic cakes in your local Dunnes or Tesco.

Basic in that it has the required ingredients in both, and bbuy enough cakes to make it look decent...( side by side)

Form shape of 5 and 0 using a knife you made earlier (as in blue peter )

cover the new shapes in the icing, covering etc as mentioned in original message
    Put on the kettle and eat the offcuts as a treat

Job oxo

being male probably too simplistic...

Is it possible to buy the basic cakes in your local Dunnes or Tesco.

Basic in that it has the required ingredients in both, and bbuy enough cakes to make it look decent...( side by side)

Form shape of 5 and 0 using a knife you made earlier (as in blue peter )

cover the new shapes in the icing, covering etc as mentioned in original message
    Put on the kettle and eat the offcuts as a treat

Job oxo

Ah ya..fair play...I could do that alright, could I be bothered? No! and knowing me and my lack of skills in the creative department it wouldn't be an option:D

Further to my O'heirs query...popped in today and they are very good value but didn't get a chance to ask if they would do maderia sponge instead...they need very little notice so I will give them a call tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

If you want to get a really amazing cake you should try Coolcakes by Shine. You'll get her page on Facebook. She made me an amazing christening cake that was really tasty too.

Afterall I have decided that I am going to bake my own...I got a fantasic, simple recipe...the only thing I need to know about is icing...is there such a thing as 'ready to roll' cake icing? The cake has a buttercream filling and I don't want to use buttercream as an icing in this case. I would love to be able to cover the cake in a thick, white icing...any brand that is really good quality?

p.s is icing and sugar paste icing the same thing? and can it be put in the fridge..i know i don't really need to as there is no fresh cream..but just wondering..

oh and if there is such a thing...how does it stick to the cake?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I always make my own cakes. In the centre I use jam and cream. On top I use 'rolling' icing. You can get it from Tesco, just roll it to the size you want and place it over the cake. I never use anything to make it stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

Ah ya..fair play...I could do that alright, could I be bothered? No! and knowing me and my lack of skills in the creative department it wouldn't be an option:D

ahem, ahem...little humility here me thinks...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Afterall I have decided that I am going to bake my own...I got a fantasic, simple recipe...the only thing I need to know about is icing...is there such a thing as 'ready to roll' cake icing? The cake has a buttercream filling and I don't want to use buttercream as an icing in this case. I would love to be able to cover the cake in a thick, white icing...any brand that is really good quality?

p.s is icing and sugar paste icing the same thing? and can it be put in the fridge..i know i don't really need to as there is no fresh cream..but just wondering..

oh and if there is such a thing...how does it stick to the cake?!

Woah, woah, woah not hold on there, you can't just be up and baking cakes at the drop of a hat for an important occasion such as a 50th without having a trial baking to make sure all is OK. You could ruin the night.

I suggest you make up 3 or 4 different cakes and magnumlady who has cake experience will do 3 or 4 more as a comparison and you can invite all the Sligo boardsies around for a cake tasting and assessment evening* where we can rate the cakes from 1 to tasty.

* You might have to provide some wines and beers for us to clense the palate between tastings.

We shall await date, time and address with anticipation.

Advertisement