Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef: The Professionals 2012

Options
  • 05-11-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭

For people who aren't reading the Irish Masterchef thread, you may not know that Masterchef: The Professionals is back tonight on BBC2 at 8:30pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mx9xb

This is the series with Gregg Wallace, Monica Galetti and Michel Roux Jr.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Looking forward to getting into this, I've never watched a full series of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Watched it last night, tonight they have to do that small test for Monica which I think is very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I watched it - love all the Masterchefs!! Would be afraid of that Monica though!! :0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

ebbsy wrote: »
    Watched it last night, tonight they have to do that small test for Monica which I think is very tough.

I reckon this is the best part. Monica's face is hilarious as the chefs make mistakes. I remember one year they had them open scallop shells and the first guy comes out and proceeds to seriously lacerate himself. They didn't let anyone else attempt it because they never considered that some people wouldn't actually have a clue and make dangerous attempts at it. They had to fill the rest of the show with some other hastily prepared challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I love this show. Even though Monica is a bit scary, she's very encouraging and supportive, as is Michel. It's a breath of fresh air compared to the Irish show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I love this show. Even though Monica is a bit scary, she's very encouraging and supportive, as is Michel. It's a breath of fresh air compared to the Irish show.

Michel is great, always finds something positive to say.
    Carl seems to be streets ahead tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mr E wrote: »
    For people who aren't reading the Irish Masterchef thread, you may not know that Masterchef: The Professionals is back tonight on BBC2 at 8:30pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mx9xb

This is the series with Gregg Wallace, Monica Galetti and Michel Roux Jr.

Thanks a million for reminder! Do you know how often/when it's on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

Merkin wrote: »
    Do you know how often/when it's on?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mx9xb/broadcasts/upcoming

Some of this first 10 are pretty good. Although a couple couldn't fillet a fish last night! I know nerves got to the better of them but they are supposed to be 'professionals'

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone watching tonight? Is the first bit not the same thing as they had to do in the last round? i.e. cook a meal of their own choosing/design? (I'm half an hour behind, watching on record)

I'm well impressed with them all!

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Anyone watching tonight? Is the first bit not the same thing as they had to do in the last round? i.e. cook a meal of their own choosing/design? (I'm half an hour behind, watching on record)

Well they didn't get to bring their own ingredients tonight, instead they had to choose from a well stocked larder. Not a whole lot different but probably just an excuse to whittle down the group a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Independent12

Anyone know if these shows are repeated the next day or anything? Have checked listings but can't find it? Missed the one last night and am raging, had it set to record and everything but it didn't work!!
    Thanks!!

W'ont spoil it for anyone but the two who got through last night will take some stopping. Charles Campion the critic is so pompous I love it !!!!

W'ont spoil it for anyone but the two who got through last night will take some stopping. Charles Campion the critic is so pompous I love it !!!!

Yeah have to agree - they are pretty good. Looking forward to next weeks batch!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Independent12

Anyone know about repeats? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

The First Master Chef: Michel Roux on Escoffier
    Tonight BBC4 9pm
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00ypy02

Could be interesting.

Last night was very tough - ten minutes to do the lobster was not a lot - followed by that desert !

Last night was very tough - ten minutes to do the lobster was not a lot - followed by that desert !

I actually thought that compared to last weeks two challenges and classics that they were fairly easy last night, especially the classics.

Looking forward to tonight, they seem to have put all the young chefs together!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Antons carrot cake served in a flower pot with choclate gravel must be the most unusual dessert ever served to the critics !

The standard of cooking and presentation is incredible - roll on week 3

That has to be Barry McGuigan's long-lost twin on tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You know the way Monica pulls weird faces when the chefs f*** up?
    Funniest set tonight for a long time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

The preview of tomorrow's Monica faces suggests the best is yet to come.

Ah here, yesterday's skills test was to make a pancake and a souffle - hardly rocket science to any self-respecting chef.

But sea urchin? Seriously??? That's hardly a level playing pitch :cool:

Phew the semis are very tough are'nt they ? Marcus Waring certainly dragged them through the nettles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Phew the semis are very tough are'nt they ? Marcus Waring certainly dragged them through the nettles.
    Being dragged through the nettles would hardly be a problem for James: he would be picking as he goes.

I find his approach very interesting.

Wasn't a big fan of James and didn't think his food looked nice. Was surprised to see him go through. The other fella did make a mess of his dessert though. Seems like using any kind of unusual ingredient combinations (Strawberry/Scallops, Peppercorn Cheesecake) is a death sentence. Its funny though the chefs are always so adamant about what they are doing but it just never seems to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Did they divide them into pairs like this, prev years?

Did they divide them into pairs like this, prev years?

Yes but last year the pairs didn't go to the same restaurants and they also went to Michelin starred places outside of the UK. I vaguely remember them going to fancy places in New York, Paris, Madrid etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wasn't a big fan of James and didn't think his food looked nice. Was surprised to see him go through. The other fella did make a mess of his dessert though. Seems like using any kind of unusual ingredient combinations (Strawberry/Scallops, Peppercorn Cheesecake) is a death sentence. Its funny though the chefs are always so adamant about what they are doing but it just never seems to work!

Is James the forager with the glasses?

Something about him rubs me up the wrong way.

• Advertisement

Very close semi tonight. Its going to be some final next week........

Advertisement