Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef: The Professionals 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Infoanon

ebbsy wrote: »
    Very close semi tonight. Its going to be some final next week........

Incredibly high standard - faultless cooking - looking forward to the finals next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Is James the forager with the glasses?

Something about him rubs me up the wrong way.

Me too, and watching last night's show again just now I can tell you what it is.

He wears his glasses ever-so-slightly askew.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Doesn't the chef they visited tonight with the 2 Michelin star pub come across as a really nice fella? Tom Kerridge I think.

Shows you don't have to be a complete egomaniac to be a top chef I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Doesn't the chef they visited tonight with the 2 Michelin star pub come across as a really nice fella? Tom Kerridge I think.

Yes, especially compared to Marcus Waring! A real gentle giant :)
    He's a regular on The Great British Menu and has got through his dish more than once asfair.

He does seem really sweet and nice, which is pretty out of character for a chef. I wouldn't mind getting to his restaurant either, I was sorely tempted to lick the TV at that beef bouillion/scallop/truffle creation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just after catching up, what a great episode. That chef was lovely, dying to go to his restaurant. I was delighted that both chefs got through. Just goes to show that the show cares more about talent and giving people a fair opportunity, than creating drama. I remember them doing it on the series a few years ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Chef comes across a nice guy alright, but there is a thread on the food and drink forum about him balling some guy out of it on Twitter and calling him all sorts of names

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81756898

Agreed it was a great episode though and the food does seem amazing. Can't wait for the finals this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Chef comes across a nice guy alright, but there is a thread on the food and drink forum about him balling some guy out of it on Twitter and calling him all sorts of names

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81756898

A lot of articles I have read mention the awarding of the 2nd Michelin Star to Kerridge as having been controversial but annoyingly none of them every say why!?

Glad to see James go last night. Thought some of his food looked nice but was struggling to be classed as 'fine dining'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

A lot of articles I have read mention the awarding of the 2nd Michelin Star to Kerridge as having been controversial but annoyingly none of them every say why!?

Becasue it is a gastro(very!) pub, not a fine dining establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yes, especially compared to Marcus Waring! A real gentle giant :)
    He's a regular on The Great British Menu and has got through his dish more than once asfair.

Hes a regular on Saturday Kitchen too. I like him. He has put on an awful lot of weight over the last year or so though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Glad to see James go last night. Thought some of his food looked nice but was struggling to be classed as 'fine dining'.
    I agree that James probably did not deserve to make the last three on his performance on the day. But I still consider much of his food interesting, and would happily try a restaurant if I knew he was cooking his recipes there.

His presentation was sometimes criticised, but I don't think that was always fair. Certain dishes should be presented as hearty honest food rather than as pictures on a plate. I'm becoming progressively less enthused by "fine dining" as the idea is shaped by Michelin inspectors. In particular, I think there seems to be a canon regarding presentation of food that ordains that everything be fussily artistic.

Missed the start of tonight's episode, did they create the dishes themselves?

Missed the start of tonight's episode, did they create the dishes themselves?

Yeah. They all did amazingly. I hope Olly wins!

Oooh they're going to be in the Fat Duck!

Can't wait, this is gonna be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Wow I really thought it would be between Anton and Oli tonight but it looks like Keri is back in contention!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah Keri did really well tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yeah his food was interesting throughtout the series but he definitely lost the plot with those dishes. Some of the guys I thought would win it have flopped so Ive given up making predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yeah his food was interesting throughtout the series but he definitely lost the plot with those dishes. Some of the guys I thought would win it have flopped so Ive given up making predictions.

I'm rooting for Keri or the other fella that made the carrot cake dessert - that was genius!

Stupid UPC box doesn't like recording MC on a Monday for some reason, so I missed the show where James went out - what did he cook? Last few plates of his I saw were right messes - he had zero presentation skills, although I'd say his food eaten with a blindfold on would have been sublime....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm rooting for Keri or the other fella that made the carrot cake dessert - that was genius!

Stupid UPC box doesn't like recording MC on a Monday for some reason, so I missed the show where James went out - what did he cook? Last few plates of his I saw were right messes - he had zero presentation skills, although I'd say his food eaten with a blindfold on would have been sublime....

They had no meat to choose from. What what I can remember he did a poppadom and veg dish - the judges gave it a drubbing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They had no meat to choose from. What what I can remember he did a poppadom and veg dish - the judges gave it a drubbing.

Yeah veg curry

Didn't realise this was on again tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

Wasn't looking forward to this tonight, not into all that gimmickry, but I really enjoyed it made me smile.
    Looks like a very close final.

Now where can I get a bottle of nitrogen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Thoroughly enjoyed that tonight. Was surprised Heston Blumenthal didn't appear though.
    Reckon we'll get a great episode tomorrow - my money's on Keri!

Blumenthal probably wasn't allowed to appear due to his contract with Channel 4. Best episode yet, imo, I would love to go to the Fat Duck. Look at how much fun the guests were having just eating the food! And the chefs love working there, they described it as a playground.

And we're also going to pick up some of that fun stuff. Google "molecular gastronomy kits", they're not all that expensive.

That was not just a great cookery programme it was also very interesting television. And strangely enough Heston not being there did'nt really take away anything for me.

I d'ont think Olly or the lady will win it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

That was definitely the best cookery show I've ever seen. I was all set to be underwhelmed by gimmicky Bloomenthal nonsense but instead I was blown away. The food , from the preperation to the presentation, was truely creative and inspired. I have never wanted to go to the Fat Duck or be a chef,infact I've often thought I'd hate either of those, but after tonight not only would I pay to eat there I would pay more for one day working in that kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That was definitely the best cookery show I've ever seen. I was all set to be underwhelmed by gimmicky Bloomenthal nonsense but instead I was blown away. The food , from the preperation to the presentation, was truely creative and inspired. I have never wanted to go to the Fat Duck or be a chef,infact I've often thought I'd hate either of those, but after tonight not only would I pay to eat there I would pay more for one day working in that kitchen.

+1

Bloody fantastic. Bonkers, but brilliant.

The whole time I was watching the episode in The Fat Duck I was thinking there is no way I would enjoy that as I would probably come out starving afterwards!

You really wouldn't. You get tiny portions, yeah, but you get several courses, usually at least 7. And amuse bouche and chocs. And matching wines.

Remember, that was a lunch service and the three chefs made 2 dishes each.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

Aw they gave it to both of them, after yesterday I didn't have a favourite.

Advertisement